• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • MRP 1X – Will i die ?
  • oldfart

Anyone gone the 1 x 9 route ? How’s it been climbing ? Thought this might winterproof my Hummer and stop me fretting about chainsuck .But i have one real dumbass question .Please don’t flame me but it looks like it doesn’t clamp to the seat tube am i right ? If so what stops it swivelling forward or backward if it’s only sandwiched on b/b or will that clamp it in place ?Oh and what about chainline as well? 😳

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Do it up tight enough and it won’t go anywhere.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

The external BB cup tightened properly will stop it moving.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I rode for years on a 1×9. 32 in the winter 34/36 in the summer.11-34 cassette.E13 street device with bashguard.
    Rode all the trails in South Wales on it,Was very good,No chain worries.
    Do it

Andy

Someone suggested you 1 x 9 that hummer 12 months ago. 🙄

martinxyz
    Free Member

be realistic with yer fitness. dont go out buying a big ring thinking it will be a nice happy medium for winter riding if you have no fitness (like i just done!)

I put a 36t with 11-32t 9 spd but wished i bought a 32.Im just not fit enough to go out in the snow in the 32t and manage to climb all the stuff i normally do with 27 gears.

Andy

Actually Roland PM me as I’ve probably still got all the bits you can borrow to try it.

audiophile
    Free Member

You get a tiny plastic washer with it that allows you to adjust the chainline by 1mm, not much but may make a difference if needed. MRP now make a version that clamps to the seat tube if you prefer.

handyman
    Free Member

Did it last year, makes the hills harder work but saves about a lb in weight and is quieter too, the chain does rub at the extremes of the cassette and the the device has never moved, i just used the xt middle ring and that was best, dont go any bigger until you ride it for a bit then you will know if your fitness will let you increase the chain ring size

househusband

I had one and thought it was rubbish; the bolts were made of cheese, it rubbed however much it was adjusted – but, worst of all, it funnelled and blocked with woodland trail detritus oh so easily. I soon sold it on and managed to find a Paul Components Chainkeeper; a far more elegant design, far more robust and never once blocked.

Just my experiences, of course.

st

The bolts are crap and I had to fudge mine to reduce the rub on either side but once set up it’s been fine. Superstar now do one for around 15 quid which looks as good if not better than the MRP. E13 also do one.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Been running 1×9 with 32t front 11-34t rear and just about to go 1×10 with a 36t max rear.

The 32t front is more than enough IMO unless you want to commute/ride on the road in which case you could be spinning out quite quickly.

In the Alps, I found that a non-pedal areo tuck was more than fast enough down the big fire road descents in the Porte Du Soleil and then everywhere else, the 32×11 gives a more than big enough gear to get you up to speed. Beyond that, you can just gather more speed by not braking.

On long days out I find the 32×34 ultimately quite tiring and it does stop me getting up steeper climbs that I might otherwise make, but you’re no quicker walking in that ratio anyway.

The MRP 1×9 or equivalents are pretty good; they do loose the chain off the lower part of the ring but this isn’t a problem if you then pedal forward.

Where you do get problems is if you pedal backwards with the chain off the lower part of the ring; then the chain torques against the backplate of the guide and causes it to jam between the ring and the plate.

I found this happening quite a bit as the chain would be off at the bottom of a descent and I’d then pedal backwards in anticipation of pedaling off up the hill again. If you can learn to avoid that then you’ll have no problems.

StuE
    Free Member

I use a MRP X1 and it as been fine (Superstar version looks better value) 32T Renthal chainring and 12-36 Shimano cassette work for me.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31059

IMG_2642 by StuE1, on Flickr

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve fitted on between the BB and the frame and I’ve got a SqTp BB. No problems.
    But that’s SS rather than 1×9

dobo
    Free Member

the thing will probably break rather than move in a stack, unless of course your BB isnt tight, i have the mrp and the superstar both work ok, but i did put a spacer in one of them to prevent rub, just a thin washer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘MRP 1X – Will i die ?’ is closed to new replies.