Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • MP Derek Conway
  • grumm
    Free Member

So he’s been asked to pay back 4 grand and apologise, wow – I’m sorry but why isn’t he going to prison for fraud? Bloody outrageous.

A standards watchdog has ordered MP Derek Conway to repay £3,757 of taxpayers’ money used to employ his elder son Henry, the BBC has learned.
    He was also told to apologise to the House of Commons by the Standards and Privileges Committee.
    Mr Conway has already been censured by for payments to younger son Freddie – a student in Newcastle at the time.
    It released a second report on payments to Henry following a complaint from Labour MP John Mann.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7857287.stm

Junkyard
    Free Member

or sacked as my employer would do to me for claiming expenses that were not real !!!

binners

Henry ****ing Conway!!! The most blatent example of a need for a bloody revolution in this country!!! French stylee, with heads on ****ing spikes!!!!

Your taxes are subsidising this little twunt!!!!

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Pigs and Troughs the lot of them

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Nowt to see here.

andym
    Free Member

I’m with you there, Binners. That bloke speshly, needs a baseball-batting. look at him. What a ****. No thought or consideration for others, is there? I think it wouldn’t actually be illegal, to give him a good kicking

I’m no fan of Harry Conway – or his son, but this sounds like gay-bashing homophobia to me.

willard

Is that a bloke then? Christ on a bike, I thought that was a girl.

binners

Sweet Jesus!!!! I ****ing despair of the PC bollox spouted on here at times.

Gay bashing? His sexuality is irrelevent. JUST LOOK AT THE ****!!!!

This is a man who hosts ludicrously expensive parties titled “**** off!!! I’m Rich!!!”

He is indeed. Bloated on our ****ing taxes!!!!

Pass me the baseball bat

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Woah, woah- homophobia? I didn’t even know he was Gay. Jeeze, I never meant it to seem that way. I’ve removed what I wrote there, as I don’t want my statement to be misunderstood.

Personally, his sexuality has nowt to do with owt. He just looks like a complete tosser.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

At what point was gay bashing homophobia mentioned in this post until you did Andym?

Stoner
    Free Member

I didn’t even know he was Gay

Indeed, many of my straight friends dress just like that….

🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Let’s just leave it there. No need for this to turn into something stupid now. I can see how Andym may have misunderstood my original post. So, I’ve removed it, as I don’t want to offend anyone. That was my decision. if Andym read it in that way, then others could, too. So, best it’s gone.

andym
    Free Member

RudeBoy – thanks for that. It sounded out of character.

I’d edit my original post but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do so.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

And yet I’ve just realised that Andym has it on his post anyway. Doh.

binners

I’d stop digging if I were you fella 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Gay or not – why isn’t he, and his brother and dad, facing charges of fraud?

Bimbler
    Free Member

The problem is MPs are paid too little. Every time they have a debate to discuss their pay or an enquiry says that they should be paid the going rate for what they do (or who they are)there is uproar in the media. This has led to the situation where they are paid via the back door – ie. expenses.

Pay them £200k/£150k (whatever)pa – but with no expenses, other than legitimate ones (travel etc) no John Lewis list, no second dwelling expenses. Provide office and secretarial support at Westminster.

And that 200k should be their sole earnings, no company directorships, no part time legal work etc. They should also have to attend the house and vote on a certain % of business. No part time dilettante MPs, proper professionals paid properly.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Not digging at all, Binners!

Someone took offence at something I posted- I removed it. All cleared up and no harm done.

binners

I like the comment about Henry being entitled to his £34,000 salary as he ‘was seen about the Palace of Westminster on several occasions’

So thats what you have to do to justify a parliamentary salary, is it? Sounds like bloody hard work!

scaredypants

Bimbler, I don’t think rank & file MPs are worth that much really

Seems to me:

You need to be able to ingratiate yourself with constiuency activists & get nominated

You need to be lucky enough that the small active group at the head of your chosen party is currently popular enough for you to be voted in

Once in, you need to be able to behave like a schoolkid during debates then do as you’re told by the whips. Oh, and maybe sit on a few committees, plus occasionally show your face back at constituency to hold surgeries (where you hear complaints & pass them on for others to deal with – or not, it’s not like you need to care once you’re seen to pass the buck)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Think Bimbler’s idea is good, in principle, but then the only people who would be MPs, would be those not good/clever enough to get ‘better’ jobs (IE £5million a year, etc). The incentives should be there to entice the most intelligent bods in, sadly this does not seem to always be the case.

Trouble with Politics is, that it’s all about gaining power.

And power corrupts….

uplink
    Free Member

Merry Christmas BTW

gusamc
    Free Member

bimbler – try thinking ‘package’ and lifetime cost.

if you don’t understand how good an MPs package is, especially pension, (also consider allowances, perks etc) how much it will cost everybody (inc you) in the future (ie when they are not working) then you might want to try some research.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Bimbler, I don’t think rank & file MPs are worth that much really

Well they get that now anyway. Check out what your MP “earns” “in expenses”>>>

They work for you

My MP gets £128k in expenses.

scaredypants

Well they get that now anyway

I “know”

roper
    Free Member

Well I thought he was a great character in Blackadder

Bimbler
    Free Member

if you don’t understand how good an MPs package is, especially pension, (also consider allowances, perks etc) how much it will cost everybody (inc you) in the future (ie when they are not working) then you might want to try some research.

The point is I don’t want to consider perks, privileges and allowances and I don’t want them to either. I want them paid at least as much as a mid-top ranking civil servant and then that’s it, no moonlighting, no gifts. A very decent wage and no distractions.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘MP Derek Conway’ is closed to new replies.