Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • MP claims homeopathy can cure Autism.
  • wwaswas

I’m unable to articulate how cross I feel about this.

Let’s hope his constituents vote with their, errrm, votes.

He said: “Is my right Hon. Friend aware that there is clear evidence that homeopathy is effective in treating autism, especially when doctors have not found a solution? Now that the Society of Homeopaths is regulated by the Professional Standards Authority, will he make more use of homeopathy in the health service generally, and in this particular instance?”

He has highlighted homeopathy as a solution to everything from the current accident and emergency overload crisis to antibiotic resistance. He has also advocated the use of astrology within the NHS.

http://www.hinckleytimes.net/news/local-news/bosworth-mp-slammed-over-false-8548297

I made the mistake of scrolling down to the comments section. I’m crosserer now.

Cougar

On the bright side, with a bit of luck the anti-vaccination brigade might get wind of it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps he could try it for a severe kick in the face….

martinhutch

The homeopathy mob are good at trawling obscure forums looking for threads to spout on.

I wonder if we could get a few on here – just repeat ‘homeopathy is fraud’ three times and they may appear!

The main story goes to show that crystal-botherers can come from all strands of society. Credulous half-wits are everywhere.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Wonder if homeopathy is any good for treating ignorance?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Some muppets crystal-botherers earlier :mrgreen:

DrP

Repeat homeopathy is fraud three times, then tap it on some wood.

DrP

jam-bo

Surely the less funding and attention homeopathy gets, the more effective it should be?

wwaswas

Surely the less funding and attention homeopathy gets, the more effective it should be?

I’ve always thought the same about homeopathy practitioners.

Just one of them ought to be able to treat the entire population very effectively?

mogrim

Repeat homeopathy is fraud three times, then tap it on some wood.

Preferably oak, with mistletoe previously blessed by a druid.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Preferably oak, with mistletoe previously blessed by a druid.

Only on Tuesdays, bless it on a Thursday and you old man will shrivel up and fall off.

mogrim

Only on Tuesdays, bless it on a Thursday and you old man will shrivel up and fall off.

Too late 😳

dbcooper
    Free Member

jam bo – excellent.

slowoldman

The speaker’s response:
    “…but I make the general point that it is always important for us to base our decisions and expenditure on evidence”.

martinhutch

That was the minister’s response. The speaker is far too much of an idiot to find such an elegant paraphrase for ‘what a load of bollocks!’

gobuchul
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOcuhq6nlw[/video]

slowoldman

Ah. I stand corrected.

midlifecrashes

This forum thread is way bigger than necessary. A single post on the matter in another much larger thread would have sufficed.

richmtb

Its difficult not to be wound up by these superstitious idiots

I mean what are we living in, the **** dark ages?

When they trolled the Below the Line comments of some obscure local rag were they using homeopathic electrons in their laptops?

Do they drive crystal powered cars?

Do they use astral projection to go on holiday?

NO because none of that mumbo jumbo has any practical use in the real world yet despite this obvious non sequitor they are willing to believe a lot of superstitious nonsense when it comes to medicine

**** idiots the lot of them

Lifer
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member

This forum thread is way bigger than necessary. A single post on the matter in another much larger thread would have sufficed.

Boooooom!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Homeopathy is fraud.
    Homeopathy is fraud.
    Homeopathy is fraud.

teethgrinder
    monkeychild
    Free Member

My mum believes in homeopathy. I can deal with folk having their own beliefs etc.. Its hard to bite my tongue when she goes on about it. I think its a load of old bollocks.

wwaswas

I’ve placed a single pixel of each letter of what was going to be a very long post across 1,500,000 separate web pages.

It’s the only way to get my point across and I hope it makes interesting reading.

monkeychild
    Free Member

^very good 🙂

peteimpreza

Homeopathy is fraud.
    Homeopathy is fraud.
    Homeopathy is fraud.

slowoldman

I wonder how little oxygen these fraudsters can survive on.

TiRed

I believe you have to keep diluting the phrase until there are no letters left for it to work

Homeopathy is Fraud
    H m e p t y s r u
    H e t s u
    H t u
    t

There, that should do it.

Anyone remember the Horizon homeopathic pharmacology experiment?

docrobster
    Free Member

I went to school in Hinckley but escaped.
    I believe the mp in question represents my sister in our wonderful democracy.
    She is going to dilute her vote one million times then on voting day single handedly vote in the green candidate.

legolam
    Free Member
    Northwind

It’s just as effective as any other placebo but I don’t think there’s much argument for a placebo in autism treatment. I figure people can do whatever daft thing to themselves they want but the boy’s an MP, talking about a subject where quite reasonably there are parents waiting for any straw they can grab, we should throw him in a volcano as I’m pretty sure that’ll appease the elder gods that cause autism.

neilwheel
    Free Member

there are parents waiting for any straw they can grab

It’s not just the parents either, those with the condition but classed as “higher functioning” are also often looking for a solution and will often struggle to rationalise this kind of mis-information.

fin25
    Free Member

I’m increasingly tired of people proposing “cures” for autism. It’s not an illness, it’s a state of being. What do people expect, a bit of super diluted elf piss is going to turn someone with profound autism, who has made little social developmental progress since being a toddler, into a person with fully developed social and learning skills…
    There is more that needs curing in the people that propose this sort of nonsense than anyone who has autism.

miketually
    Free Member

Interesting that Ben Goldacre was on Newsnight last night talking about evidence-based politics.

docrobster
    Free Member

My mum’s very interested in thi story. She lives in the village where the PhD in autism lady lives and is a retired special school teacher, having taught at the special school in Hinckley. When she worked there apparently Mr trendywig as she calls him used to visit. Not got a good thing to say for him.
    She sent me a link to a story in the same local rag about the autistic boy referred to in the piece in the OP
    He is doing very well despite no homeopathic cures having being administered…
    more hinckley times gold

docrobster
    Free Member

He is also keen on astronomy too:
    or is it astrology, i get confused

docrobster
    Free Member

From the comments on the last bbc article:

From the Big Bang Theory: (tv show)
    Penny: I’m a Sagittarius, which probably tells you way more than you need to know.
    Sheldon: Yes – it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun’s apparent position relative to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.
    Still, it could be worse, he could believe homeopathy is real.

Cougar

I’m increasingly tired of people proposing “cures” for autism.

There’s two separate issues in this story, isn’t there.

1) is the suggestion that autism can or indeed should be cured, certainly for those lower on the spectrum. The world would be a very different place if Aspies were the majority; being neurotypical would probably be treated as a learning disorder.

2) is the suggestion that Homeopathy can cure anything (beyond placebo). The Autism thing is an eye-catching headline, but it’s in danger of diluting (sorry) the real story which is that an MP is pushing to waste tons of time and money promoting this pish under the NHS.

fin25
    Free Member

Sorry Cougar, got so wound up by the Autism stuff I totally forgot to add how thoroughly ridiculous it is that homeopathy not only exists in our society, but that it is debated in parliament and public money spent on it. 👿

Cougar

Oh, no apology needed, fume away! (-:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘MP claims homeopathy can cure Autism.’ is closed to new replies.