Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Moving to Vancouver to work – Visa?
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Canadian Visa website but it’s all a bit confusing. If anybody has moved to Canada for work from UK, what is the process?

If I have a job to offer and the company is sponsoring my application can I get a permanent work visa or do I need a temporary one first? How long does it take generally (I know this will differ per case.)

Also I can’t find how long a temporary work visa lasts.

mikey74
    Free Member

How old are you and what do you do? It makes a difference.

I believe a temporary work permit lasts for a year and your sponsor has to jump through hoops each time to get it renewed. Before they even offer you a job, they need to go through a process called the LMO (Labor Market Opinion) where they have to prove that you offer skills that are not readily available in Canada.

A mate of mine has been doing this for the last three years and his employer has just let him down and he has to come home now.

It is a real nightmare by all accounts.

I’ve looked into it, and recently applied for a load of jobs out there, but it’s looking increasingly unlikely I’ll be able to do it. Being 37 I need a company to give me a job before I can go.

dafoxster
    Free Member

32 – Electronic engineer.

It’s not a new company it’s actually a transfer with my current employer. There is the option to go to LA instead but that’s not for me.

mikey74
    Free Member

Lucky you. They don’t need any CAD techs do they?

I believe that you have to have been there for a minimum of 3 years before you can apply for a permanent visa.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

call the Canadian embassy/consulate. They will guide you.

jb79
    Free Member

I was considering emigrating there last year. I know one thing that might be of use – you’ll get permanent residency quicker if you apply for it from outside the country than if you go out on a temporary visa and then want to convert it. HTH.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

mikey74 – what type of work do you do and where are you?

rs
    Free Member

I did exactly the same over 4 years ago, transfer within the company, the work visa only takes about a month to come through after I sent the fee, forms, letter from company, etc away. It is supposed to be easier when its an internal transfer. My company helped here and just sent me a package of stuff to mail off. My initial work visa was for 3 years, renewed that for another 2 and going through the permanent residency thing now, it supposed to take about a year to process.

mikey74
    Free Member

Zed: I’m an architectural technician in the SE England.

nicko74

Current employer should be able to make a case for you to move out (t)here as an internal transfer; it should be an easier process than if you turned up without a job offer. As Mikey says, you may need a Labour Market Opinion, but it’s all doable. And the temporary work permit can last for 1, 2 or 3 years – my missus got an internal transfer and her visa was valid for 3 years.

Once here, you can start the process of applying for Permanent Residence if you like – that would, if successful, allow you to stay permanently. It isn’t a short process; I’ve heard something like 7 to 21 months, but it’s a methodical application procedure, so it’s not impossible.

Good luck!

dafoxster
    Free Member

Thanks for the answers. I’ve just got to wait and see now. Got a call on wednesday to discuss it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Vancouver to work – Visa?’ is closed to new replies.