Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Moving to Stone, Staffordshire for work for 6 months. What is there to ride?
  • hexhamstu
    Free Member

What’s Cannock like? What else there around there? Anyone local? Any group rides?

somouk
    Free Member

Stone is a nice little town, you’re not far from the peak district, Cannock and a few other trail centres.

You won’t have much immediately on your doorstep, it’s quite a flat area but will be plenty of trails to link up and get out on the bike.

phiiiiil

Cannock Chase is great, it’s half an hour away by train from Stone, that’ll keep you busy.

The white end of the peak district presumably isn’t that far away in the other direction…

I can’t think of anything immediately around Stone, but I can’t say I’ve looked.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Watched a few videos of Cannock, looks good. Trying to tell myself that being alone in stone won’t be horrible.

bumper
    Free Member

Hanchurch is just up the road from Stone, easy riding distance. I know a few that go to Trentham too but I’ve never been, can’t expect too much there.

prawny

I’m from Cannock, I’ll defend it to the end. I love cannock chase, and all things considered the dog and monkey are ace.

You might be able to find some natural riding in the staffs moorlands, never been round there personally off road.

Plenty of nice road riding around stone, not far from some decent tour of britain climbs the other side of leek.

And biggest bonus – Oatcakes.

somouk
    Free Member

If you’re there on your own then join in on some of the regular group rides at Cannock for some people to talk to.

There will be some roady clubs in the area that do group rides as well as they’re popular in that area.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve only drive through Stone and it looks nice if that helps. But Cannock is near and the Chase is rather big.

steveh

Cannock off piste stuff is great if you can get someone to show you. The trail centre on the other hand is a hateful thing IMHO.

BigJohn

There is a very good bike shop on the edge of town The Velo Store who do shop rides. Swinnertons are not far away eother. As well as the Chase there are Hanchurch woods which is good for a blast.

There’s enough good stuff at Cannock to keep you entertained for way more than 6 months.

It’s a good place to live. Make sure you bring a can of white paint. The locals spend the evenings obliterating the C on the signs “Welcome to Stone – Canal Town” and writing a B on the road signs to Uttoxeter, abbreviated to Uttox.

prawny

On the subject of cannock off piste is there any body that goes around 6-7am saturday mornings that fancies showing me around before it gets too boggy.

Personally I love the trail centre, but a bit of variety is never a bad thing.

scruff
    Free Member

Plenty of riding straight from Stone, local shop Velo do rides. I’ll ask Snakebite to comment as he’ll know best.

Moses

The famous iDave of the diet, used to live there. He may still do so, for all I know.
    And you have a canal path too.

Who will you be working for ?

snakebite
    Free Member

Theres a good mtb ride every Tuesday from the velo shop 6 pm prompt, usually covers around 30-40km and takes in a good mix of stuff. THey also do sat and sun road rides from the shop at 9am varying intensity to suit all. https://www.facebook.com/groups/578165108931289/?fref=ts. Chase is also on your doorstep as mentioned, Hanchurch for local woods, and Peak district an hour away. Stone itself prolific restaurants, plenty of pubs, live bands etc, there’s lots worse places!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’m an EngD student (engineering doctorate) doing a project for Renishaw at Swansea university. They’ve suggested that I go work with Renishaw for 6 months as part of the project. Not confirmed yet, but thought I’d try and get a few things in the ‘for’ column. As there a quite a few financial/housing ones in the ‘against’ column.

Sounds like there are plenty of group mountain bike rides, so that’s definitely a plus.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I live “up the road” in the Staffordshire Moorlands. There is some good riding around me, but the network of trails doesn’t really open up until you get a bit further into the Peak District, but it’s still pretty close to Stone. There is some cracking stuff well worth an hour’s drive.

FWIW I love Cannock and sometimes drive there to ride instead of riding more locally in the Moorlands. Sometimes it’s nice to have a quick blast on purpose built trails.

GeForceJunky

I’m also considering doing 6 months work in Stone for Renishaw! I’m an apps engineer for them, so there is the opportunity to do 6 months in Stone learning all the 3D printing coolness that sounds very interesting, but I’m not convinced the M6 won’t send me mad! Currently working for them up in Sheffield … pretty awesome riding here!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’m also considering doing 6 months work in Stone for Renishaw! I’m an apps engineer for them, so there is the opportunity to do 6 months in Stone learning all the 3D printing coolness that sounds very interesting, but I’m not convinced the M6 won’t send me mad! Currently working for them up in Sheffield … pretty awesome riding here!

Small world! Then we’ll both be looking for places to ride! Or we you be doing the 2 hour commute?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Hanchurch/Trentham/Barlaston Downs keep you entertained for midweek rides, while Cannock is down the road and Llandegla or the Peak District are just over an hours drive. You can’t go wrong!

curvature
    Free Member

I live in Stone and it’s a great place to be based.

I can ride from my door to Barlaston Downs, then Hanchurch Woods and do a loop of over 20miles with only 2-3 on the road.

If you are feeling like a longer ride then you can ride down the canal to Cannock Chase itself. This with a small loop around Cannock would be around 35-40 miles depending on how much you ride over at Cannock.

Velo is a top shop located on one of the industrial estates.

I’m currently not riding though due to having a broken leg! Cast comes off in less than 24hrs though.

GeForceJunky

Defo wouldn’t be doing a 2 hour commute! Company would be putting me up somewhere, not sure where, they have a nice flat in Sheffield that I am using at the moment, but I don’t think they have the same in Stone.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Stone, Staffordshire for work for 6 months. What is there to ride?’ is closed to new replies.