Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Moving to South Brum
  • the00
    Free Member

I’m contemplating a contract role in South Birmingham, and wondered where I should be looking to live near the university. I’ll be renting somewhere, just me, in a shared house, or with a colleague.

I have ridden a bit at Cannock (NW), the Wyre Forrest (W) and know the Malverns well (45min South in the car), but I think there is a bit of riding on the Clent Hills or nearby. I’d like to commute by bike, but off road riding from the door would be a nice novelty too.

hatter

Lived round there for 7 years, bit of a strange part of the world, some nice bits (Edgebaston, Moseley, Bournville, Harbourne) some cracking people but when it’s rough it’s proper rough.

Clent Hills are O.K but Cannock is better IMHO, there’s some loops in the Lickey Hills if you know where to go, they’re very accessible from South Brum.

If you’re going to commute by bike try and live near the canal, it takes you right into the Uni campus and makes everything much more civilized, Birmingham roads and drivers are some of the worst in the U.K. for outright hostility to cyclists. My blood pressure has decreased notably since I used to ride to work in Brum, I was having a proper squeaky bum moment on at least a weekly basis.

lunge

Hatter talks sense there.
    Edgebaston, Moseley, Bournville and Harbourne are all very nice but house prices are not cheap as these are the places people move to when they’ve made a couple of quid and are fed up of living in the city.

Further afield, places like Bromsgrove and Rubery are not bad and under 1 hour on a bike to the city, you’ll have off road from close by as well although it may not be the most exciting you’ll encounter. Stourbridge, Quinton and Halesowen are also worth a look though they are a little further west, still easily commutable and open up some of the Worcestershire countryside as well.

Re. off road riding, Clent is not bad, it’s a small area but there is a lot there if you know where to look, Lickey is the same as is Kinver whoch is out past Stourbridge.

hatter

all very nice but house prices are not cheap

This is very relative, I now live in St Albans and could buy a glorious, Victorian red brick pile in Moseley for the price of the 1970’s Semi I have down here.

Forgotten about Kinver BTW, good call.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP have you not been watching Fox news, it’s a no go area don’t you know

addy6402

I live in Lickey (Hills) and there’s a reasonable amount of riding here (for the Midlands!), quick ups/downs and various XC routes out into the countryside, taking in Waseley and Clent. I ride to work in central Brum most days (road/cyclepath options via the A38 or Rea Valley/Canal).

Hatter and Lunge seem to be on the money if you want to live closer to the Uni or the centre.

itsallgood

The Lickey/Waesley Hill round is my from the door ride. Surprisingly nice and green considering you are only 11ish miles out of town. As others said Cannock/Wyre are not too far away.

Selected parts of Rubery ( +1 for the canal into town, under 1 hour easy, 10-15 mins on a few minor road). Alvechurch? Pricey, but nice.

Mosley and Harbourne if you want a midweek drink. A cheaper option a few years back now could be Kings Heath, you can ride across a few parks to get to the Rea/Canal route into town/uni.

Alternatively, you could rent overlooking Edgebaston Res, thinking you are in Edgebaston… and actually be in Ladywood.

d

itsallgood

Addy – How do you link up Waesley to Clent without too much road/lanes?

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Seems there’s quite a few of us that are local 🙂 … as above lickeys, waseleys etc and the canal into town

rOcKeTdOg

5 years worth of riding an blogging rubbish here from the NWAlps (Lickey, Waseley,Clent,Wyre etc) http://a-pic-a-ride.blogspot.co.uk/ easily make up a 25 mile ride with sections of tarmac, infact I’ve ridden here since i was a nipper (30+years) and found a DH trail last week that I’d never ridden before. there’s a local group of us that quietly maintain the trails, happy to show you around. also search for NWAlps cycling groupd on the dreaded FB.

Rubery is a good call, cheaper than Bromsgrove and with less dodgy areas than you get closer to the city but with good public transport links

addy6402

Itsallgood – I normally cross the M5 at Dayhouse Bank and head up the road towards Romsley, then over to meet the NW path and Calcotthill Farm. There seems to be some other, cheekier routes via Great Farley Wood. Lots of potential so must explore more! RD may have some other ideas though…

Coming back I tend to drop down off Walton Pool side, skirt the A491 to Hollies Hill, up Munches Lane, Bell Heath and The Gutter to Dayhouse Bank.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ambridge is ok, nice pub some interesting locals.

the00
    Free Member

‘fraid I’m barred from The Bull 🙁
    And they’re mostly a bunch of NIMBYs anyway.

rOcKeTdOg

I tend to head to clent straight from Waseley via Romsley & cookoo corner as it seems to be the path of least resistance & gets you to clent trails quicker

mrben101
    Free Member

I live in Edgbaston – just off the Hagley Road (around here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/St+Augustine’s+Church/@52.4720648,-1.9450756,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0xed5f56a60ae871bd) and my other half walks to the Uni from here. Takes about 40 mins and she has little legs.

I’d be looking at Edgbaston and Harborne personally. Though as ever you need to check on a map as estate agents tend call anything nearby Edgbaston or Harborne to make it more desirable 🙂

If you see anything promising drop link in the thread – looks like there are enough locals to advise 🙂

Can’t help with the riding sadly – (though if anyone wants to show me around feel free 😉 I need to get out on the bike – I’m soon unfit atm!

rOcKeTdOg

Luckily there’s a train from Brum right to the bottom of the hills if u hop off at Barnt Green, over the foot bridge & straight onto the trails

the00
    Free Member

Moved in to a flat the other week, and went on my first ride to explore the Lickeys yesterday evening, and it was ACE! Wonderful singletrack trails, short sharp climbs, and bluebells. The perfect evening blast and a real surprise from such a compact area.

hatter

Nice! glad you’re making yourself at home, have fun up there.

Just watch out for the drivers, my original warning still stands!

the00
    Free Member

My commute is along Merritt’s Brook, so quite traffic free. Thanks for the warning though.

rOcKeTdOg

and went on my first ride to explore the Lickeys yesterday evening, and it was ACE!

Were you riding a trek FS? The woods are at their best atm, different story in the winter, I can show you the secret stuff 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Moving to South Brum’ is closed to new replies.