Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Moving to Sheffield – advice sought
  • Naranjada
    Free Member

Contemplating a move to Sheffield but don’t know much about the areas under consideration.

West is preferred, somewhere near to the city. Ideally I want the location to provide easy access to the hills from the front door.

What are these areas like…
    – Walkley?
    – Crookes?
    – Bole Hill?

Further north…
    – Birley Carr?
    – Wadsley Bridge?
    – Hillsborough?

Further east…
    – what’s it like around City Road cemetery, eg Dovercourt Road area? It seems a bit cheaper than the west & north, is that due to geographical distance from the Peak or other local issues?
    – Norfolk park area?

Further south…
    – Norton Lees?

And which areas are best avoided?

I’ve done some googling, some street-view and read some posts on other forums but opinions are (understandably) diverse and not necessarily focussed on the areas I’m interested in for me to get much from them.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Moving to Sheffield – advice sought

Lock your bike up properly.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Yes, I appreciate that 😆

Hopefully the house will have a convenient and secure cellar.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rob-jackson
    Free Member

east sheffield is shite

Naranjada
    Free Member

east sheffield is shite

…fair enough, it’s my least preferred location so your comment helps reinforce that.

There must be some OK bits though?

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Walkley and Crookes will be full of students.

I lived in Firvale which was nice.

tiff
    Free Member

I would add Norfolk Park on the avoid list.

Areas that I think are worth considering are Ecclesall, Carter Knowle, Millhouses, parts of Nether Edge, Bents Green, Dore, Totley, Hangingwater and are all within easy distance of the Peaks.

I currently live off Carter Knowle road and it is roughly a 20-30min bike ride out to the peaks on mostly Bridleway.

Drop me a line if you want anymore info, as an a side I’ll be looking to sell my house shortly (Due to split) and looking to move myself to one of the areas listed above

MadBillMcMad

Endcliffe park or Ecclesall area – http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=432695&Y=385377&A=Y&Z=115

Easy commute in to town, Can ride or walk straight out in to the Peak.

GEDA
    Free Member

I am in sitting in our house in Caterknowle. Cycling out to the Peaks this morning and back. Should take an hour there and back with not much tarmac. West of A61 Should meet your criteria.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

not in east sheffield no – historically its where the poorer areas were due to the w nd coming in from the west blowing smoke from the steel works etc over to that side of town. Still shite

ahwiles
    Free Member

imagine the sheffield map is a clock-face.

anywhere between 7:30, and 10:30 will be alright/nice/very nice.

the closer you get to 9:00 – the nicer/more desireable the area.

(this is only a rough guide).

Naranjada
    Free Member

Thanks for feedback, all.

I like the clockface idea, it’s very visual.

Naranjada
    Free Member

I currently live off Carter Knowle road and it is roughly a 20-30min bike ride out to the peaks on mostly Bridleway.

Drop me a line if you want anymore info, as an a side I’ll be looking to sell my house shortly (Due to split) and looking to move myself to one of the areas listed above

Cheers tiff, I’ll bear that in mind but it looks like that area could be out of budget; I’m looking to spend max ~£130k for 3 bed terrace with cellar, with plans to rent it out in the future.

mintimperial

I like the clockface idea, it’s very visual.

It’s a good rule of thumb for most northern towns and cities. Obviously there are exceptions but as a rule the east side of town is a dump precisely because of this:

the wind coming in from the west blowing smoke from the steel works etc

My wife (a southerner) was completely flummoxed by this when we moved back up north – no dark satanic mills in St Albans you see… She kept looking at the map and getting annoyed when I discounted vast swathes of the towns and cities we looked at as uninhabitable purely because they were east of the centre. I ended up driving her round a number of grim bits of East Leeds to make my point.

My little brother lives a little way out towards the west side of Sheffield, Sharrow I think? It seems alright where he is and he really likes Sheffield as a city.

Naranjada
    Free Member

That east/west rule’s very useful, cheers.

I think I have saved a property in Sharrow in my rightmove list.

ahwiles
    Free Member

£130k for 3 bed terrace with cellar

walkley.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Yep, Walkley features regularly in my saved property list on rightmove.

And easy to use Rivelin Valley out to Peak on bway by the looks of things.

Going to have ride in the Peak on Saturday and follow it with a mooch around those parts.

Cheers.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Walkley and Crookes both okay. Try to avoid overly student streets though if you like a good night’s sleep. Went to many a mental all night mess in various living rooms round that way when I was a student myself.

I live in semi-rural North Sheffield at the moment, but if I was looking to move somewhere else I’d be looking at Heeley. Rough around the edges, and I wouldn’t leave my bike in view round there, but it has a certain soul lacking in other areas. Quite bohemian. And one of the best pubs in Sheffield is on the doorstep, too.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Second Heeley – been spending a bit of time there recently and it’s not at all bad (apart from the scally from the Manor I met early on new year’s morning). The Sheaf is top!

Meersbrook is the next district along, I know a few people who have bought their first houses up that way. Big park which you can snowboard in when there’s a dump

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I lived in Hillsborough for a couple of years (still own a 3 bed terrace house just up from the park)

+ Handy transport facilities to town.

+ Some great road biking from your door on beautiful, quiet and steep country lanes.

+ The Dark Peak is on your door step and a lot quieter than the other end of Sheffield bit. However not much real off road riding. Wharncliffe however is easily reachable from ‘bro.

– No nice pubs in walking distance, unless you support the BMP or like a fight.

I keep an eye on the value of the terraces in the area and currently they are around the £130k mark, maybe slightly more for a nice one.

Overall you get the impression that Hillsborough is on the verge of turning in to a very nice place with bars, cafe’s etc. More and more professional type people are moving their, and its getting quite popular with a lot of graduates/young professionals.

Naranjada
    Free Member

That’s reassuring to know FunkyDunc, cheers.

I’ve seen quite a few nice looking terraced houses near Hillsborough Park around £130k, and if the area is gaining popularity that will hopefully trend upwards over time.

IHN

Walkley and Crookes both okay. Try to avoid overly student streets though if you like a good night’s sleep. Went to many a mental all night mess in various living rooms round that way when I was a student myself.

What he said.

Crookes is a bit nicer than Walkley, or at least it was in my day (10 years ago). Walkley was a bit less Studenty though.

Brown
    Free Member

Walkley’s ok. Mostly friendly, easy to wander into town, quick access to the Peak, shops close by. Couple of nice pubs too. Plenty of people around who bike/climb too.

I’d agree that Crookes was a bit nicer, but it’s also a lot more studenty, if that bothers you.

If I was moving, I’d look over around Ecclesall/Greystones/Abbeydale – it’s easier to ride to more of the Peak, which is my priority.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Naranjada – We have had the property there for 6 or so years now, bought for approx £110k, peaked at about £145-£150k before the slump been around the £130k mark for a couple of years now.

Ours may well be up for sale in about a years time when I would hope it would get about £140k

They are actually surprisingly big terraces. Many are actually lease hold though, I think its to the University about £4 per year and the lease is some daft long time…

Naranjada
    Free Member

They are actually surprisingly big terraces

Yes, and it’s surprising that most have had the loft converted into an extra bedroom; it makes good sense to do that if you have a cellar for storage.

tiff
    Free Member

You will see a lot of Houses in Sheffield that are lease hold, so dont be put off by this our first house was and it was an expensive (Not sarcastic) £17 a year with about 900 years left on the lease.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Woodseats is pretty good value- close to the posher bits such as ecclesall, dore etc but on a great route into town.

Cycle through ecclesall woods and youre in the peak- 15 mins

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Sheffield – advice sought’ is closed to new replies.