Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Moving to north Devon, Braunton to be precise. Convince me.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Looking at moving down there with the girlfriend who is already down there. What’s it like.? I have a shite job up here so my thinking is I might as well have a shite job down there. The road and MTB riding looks good. I have only ever seen the place in the winter but I am told its a hive of activity in the summer. There are a couple of draw backs, one my folks are nearly 80 and two I hate beeches.

TheWrongTrousers

You lucky bugger !
    You hate beeches ? I don’t recall seeing many of that type of tree when I’ve been there before
    🙂

neilforrow

Nice place, wife’s parents live up that way so know it well. Good surfing and biking. Bit of a drive to get anywhere tho as it is a bit out on a limb. Where are you coming from.

Plenty of riding on nearby Exmoor, Quantocks, Dartmoor, Haldon.

Nice pubs to eat. Not bad for lifestyle.

Good bike shop too – southfork.

Out of interest what line of work are you in, as we are looking to take on people and are based down the road.

Bregante

I can only think of one negative thing to say about Braunton in the summer.

The traffic 😯 . it’s bloody grim.

However that negative is more than outweighed by Squires Chippy!

choppersquad
    Free Member

If it’s crowded beaches you hate then you’re in luck because Saunton is about three miles long so will never get crowded.
    I would move there in a shot if my wife didn’t refuse to move away from her family.
    I’m fairly sure Devon came top in a study to reveal which county had the best standard of living.

bigblackshed

We would move there tomorrow if I could get a decent job and there was specific SEN school provision for my son.

CountZero

Lovely part of the world, and beaches are great when there are no emmets making the place untidy. There’s nothing I like better than walking along an empty beach when it’s windy, but dry, watching the wind blow dry sand in streamers across the damper sand.
    Crowded beaches are dire, and best avoided.
    Exmoor is lovely, and there’s Valley of the Rocks to visit… I really don’t think you’d regret moving there.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I moved to North Devon several years ago. The job situation isn’t great but the countryside and the coast more than make up for it. As said above the traffic in Braunton in the summer is awful. Of course when you get a fantastic day in the middle of winter and there are no tourists around you’ll remember why you thought of moving to North Devon.

One word of caution, Braunton has been known to flood…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

All the above – ace part of the world. I look now and again for jobs down there but there doesn’t seem to be anything in my area of IT.

mrmo
    Free Member

Other halves mum lives in Pilton,

comments, it is a F***ing nightmare in the summer, you want to pop out to the shops and are faced by some idiot who thinks that taking an x5 towing a caravan down a single track lane and having no idea what to do when a tractor comes the other way is a good idea. Makes no difference whether your on a bike or in the car the lane is blocked!

Driving through Braunton, in summer forget it, it doesn’t happen, be quicker to walk from Barnstaple to Croyde than drive!

Saying that if you learn the lanes it isn’t really that bad, i just think most people either don’t know, or are scared of driving in the lanes and stick to the main road and the traffic jam?

Mind if i could get a job that pays i might be tempted to move down there, i know the SO wants to.

main street in Braunton….

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Out of interest what line of work are you in, as we are looking to take on people and are based down the road.

Anything that does require a skill basically. Have worked warehouse, gardening and lorry driving. I did a couple of years of production and material planning for a car parts manufacturer many moons ago but would be a bit rusty by now.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I lived there til I was 9 and again from 16 to 26. My parents are there, the local mountain biking isn’t brilliant but it isn’t that far to drive to Exmoor, Dartmoor or the Quantocks. There seems to be a lot more road riding going on in the area lately. I was down there on Saturday and it always seems warmer than it is here in Somerset.

RobHilton
    Free Member

For riding see also: Keypitts Trails near Ilfracombe
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/631310976882938/817722208241813/?notif_t=group_activity

One of my old mates has been busy down there 🙂
    No idea what it’s like, but I’ll make the effort some time…

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Interested in this as my employer has a facility in a Braunton that always seem to be recruiting! Mrs would move like a shot if it was a good career move for me!

wiggles
    Free Member

(so excited I get to be the one to say this and partake in a STW tradition)

Is she fit?

toys19
    Free Member

neilforrow my brother is thinking of moving there what kind of jobs are you offering?

rwamartin
    Free Member

If you love the woman then go regardless.

neilforrow

toys – email me.

zippykona

The traffic isn’t an issue if you use the “locals” roads which are easy to find and you can leave the sat nav hoards behind.
    Biking is good and mainly the other side of Barny. You too will get to hate every inch of the Tarka Trail on your way to the dirt though!
    You can do a good loop along the American road through the golf course and up to the aerials and then to woolacombe.
    It is the most beautiful place I know. I just feel so in tune with the area, I can spend forever on top of the cliffs just looking at the sea and sunset watch from woolacombe car park is just WOW.
    Do it.
    From the Woolacombe singletrack

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Moving to north Devon, Braunton to be precise. Convince me.’ is closed to new replies.