• This topic has 95 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Moving to London next month, any tips?
  • mefty
    Free Member

I’m one of the few that doesn’t mind a busy road then!

I quite like them too – unless they have got alot of buses.

molgrips
    Free Member

If it has a bus lane, or is wide enough to pass cars then I’m happy.

Yes, but it often doesn’t. The one thing about London driving or cycling is that everyone and everything is closer together. Of course, out in the burbs it’s ok – roads are wide and traffic volumes are much less. But in Z1 it can be hairy on the major roads. Oxford St is one such.

Bear in mind I am generally pretty fearless and assertive on a bike, been doing it for 30 years, but there are places where it’s just not worth it when busy. Picadilly circus has a pinch point, Hyde Park Corner is bonkers.. although the latter has a cycleway through it which is worth using.

Re cycle superhighways – not bad during the day, when you get some useful priorities and contraflows etc but when busy they are nowhere near wide enough and the speed differentials can be a problem. Not bad if you are pootling, not good if you want to get somewhere.

benp1

Agreed. That’s what I meant by works OK in Central London. Quiet lanes are nicer and often quicker, and there are loads of options. Quiet roads are better than cycle lanes to be honest

This is an example of yesterdays ride – rode into work and part of the way home – back to Camden Town, I was on a Brompton so could jump on the tube. Hurt my neck a couple of weeks back so trying to limit riding to save myself for the weekend

Main roads into the edge of Zone 2, then largely quieter roads in Zone 1

https://www.strava.com/activities/572370365

mefty
    Free Member

Hyde Park Corner is bonkers.. although the latter has a cycleway through it which is worth using.

Hyde Park Corner is no hassle, although the guy I saw doing a Wheelie round it was a bit more laissez faire than I would have been.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hyde Park Corner is no hassle

On the road it is, when busy. Unless you’re a nutter.

mefty
    Free Member

It has got loads of lights – it really isn’t that bad, I used to go through it ever day and generally used the road.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Now I think it is a fantastic city, I get quite excited visiting there but couldn’t live there unless I was on silly silly money.

+1

Kryton57

Op I haven’t read the whole thread but I ride with a London club and several members are advertising flat shares with bike friendly space / storage. There’s no ties to being in the club.

If you need some intros drop me a mail – my email is in my profile.

HansRey

dknwhy – thanks for the offer of a ride. I’ll be in touch when I’m over and fairly settled.
    Kryton57 – i’ll send you an email in a few mos.

Thanks for the climbing tips, all. I’m looking forward to getting back into that.

HansRey

a little update

Agreed to take a room between Brixton and Clapham. Good for commuting, getting in/out London (to the South atleast…) and always something going on locally.

Next step is to join a local club/ ride group 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cool, we love an update. Yes an area full of young professionals and familes so always something going on. If you have a car lookup some of the Surrey Hills groups and shop rides we mentioned. If no car look at trains from Clapham Junction out to Dorking (best) or slow Guildford Line and get off at Horsley and ride in over North Downs Way (plenty of xc plus around the ridge inc Ranmore)

Have fun

poolman
    Free Member

Well done and deffo get a Brompton as you will save loads of time and money. I ve been looking on gumtree and a nearly new one is c 600. Some good tips above – I would only add if you do get a Brompton never leave it anywhere as it will be nicked.

I like cycling along the river and canals when staying there. With a Brompton you only have to cycle one way just get a bus back.

There’s also loads of fab Indy cafes dotted around but they seem to be rapidly diminishing. In fact housing aside you can really enjoy London on the cheap.

Good luck

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Next step is to join a local club/ ride group

If you can get to Coulsdon South train station for 9am on Saturdays you could do the Addiscombe CC club runs. After about half an hour riding you’re in the Surrey country lanes with the option of returning via Box Hill, expect 45 plus miles.

It’s a big club so plenty of different speed groups to choose including, 15, 17, 19, 20mph and the training group.

Check the ACC forum for the Saturdays when the Brighton and back rides are on – they leave earlier.

http://www.addiscombe.org/members/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=19

If you don’t fancy doing the approx 12 mile road ride to Coulsdon South train station it’s 20 minutes on the train from Clapham Junction.

Organised off road rides is more of a problem, although Thursday evening off road rides from Matthew’s Yard in Croydon are becoming more regular. They involve 2 or 3 hours riding on the nearby North Downs.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You are well placed for road rides from both Richmond park into Surrey and from crystal palace down into Kent.
    Brixton cc would be your nearest club.
    Mtb is a half hour journey to Dorking from Clapham junction (or other stops/linking stations)

ade9933
    Free Member

1) don’t make eye contact (don’t even look at anyone on the tube)

2) trust no-one

3) negotiate cab price before you get in

4) forget everything you know about the rules of the road

5) every black cab is about 5m from a u-turn

6) every addison lee is 5 m from a severe swerve or emergency stop

7) you are not allowed to walk around London unless you are staring at a smart-phone

8) don’t trust anyone who smiles at you

9) don’t think about driving in Richmond Park unless you are in an X5 or a mini

10) don’t read the property adverts

11) yes the tube always smells like that (and yes everyone’s bogey’s go black)

12) never look at a map in public

13) enjoy the food, cocktails and roof top bars

14) and definitely, do not move to Croydon!

benp1

Shame you picked the wrong side of the river 😀

You’re going to love it, you’re close enough to central London to be able to enjoy cycling as your main form of transport

I did over 20 miles pottering around London on my Brompton with my 4 year old son, it’s a fantastic place to be on a bike

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Moving to London next month, any tips?’ is closed to new replies.