Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Moving to Edinburgh… Recommendations?!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’m heading up this weekend. I’ve been to the City before a few times but never for a long period of time.

Whats good to do? I’ve got mates that live there and my misses is there but don’t want to be relying on them to provide all the entertainment!

Any suggestions of things that may have slipped their radar or is just generally great?

Cheers
    Al

legend
    Free Member

Pubic triangle

alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve got 1 embarrassing strip club story. I don’t need 2! Anything else? 😀

jekkyl

wooly hat, scarf and gloves.

geoffj

The parliament tour is surprisingly good.
    Go and join the traffic on the new bridge.
    Afternoon out at North Berwick

jimmy

Ride to the Pentlands. Sit on a hill and take in the view of the City and beyond.

Oh, and pubs. Great pubs.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A walk up the Water of Leith is nice

redmex
    Free Member

North Berwick ? Other than the Bass rock, a wee hill that takes ten mins, although along the road 3 miles East Tantallon castle it’s not got much, like St Andrews but without the Old Course or posh uni students
    I try to avoid both places but live/work in Fife and rest of the time over the Forth in East Lothian

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sol’n’soss

matt_outandabout

walk up the Water of Leith is nice

It’s that the Scottish equivalent of going to Center Parks?

geoffj

perchypanther – Member
    Sol’n’soss

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR_lgrtxWT8[/video]

jimmy

The TBC night rides are approaching legendary status.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Jump on a train to Glasgow.

akira

Is the Bongo Club still going? Apparently it is, often interesting stuff going on there. Also the Blue Blazer for a nice pint.

hedley
    Free Member

A few of the things we enjoy doing:

The Royal Scottish Academy
    Scottish National Gallery
    Dynamic Earth (I love this place)
    Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art
    National Galleries of Scotland
    Museum of Scotland
    Royal Yacht Britannia (haven’t been but heard lots of good things)
    National Museum of Flight Scotland (not in Edinburgh but worth a visit)
    Botanic Gardens

ojom
    Free Member

The TBC night rides are approaching legendary status.

Except now they start at 0530 on Sunday mornings. Soz.

alexxx
    Free Member

Awesome thanks guys! What does “TBC” stand for? The bike clinic or something? Is it road or trail?

I’ve got my road bike and trail bike… climbing gear and a squash racquet! I’m based by Pilrig Park – whats the best local stuff to that side of town? Bars, Food or Squash courts?!

scotroutes

tbc was a legendary bike shop in Edinburgh.

Folk used to go there to buy all sorts of exotic goodies at prices so low they’d make CRC blush, to have their bikes serviced by nubile acolytes dressed only in loin cloths and to obtain “personal services” from the unbelievably good-looking staff.

They also organised a regular night ride from the shop.

jimmy

Pilrig Park…. You’re not far from Alien Rock and Alien Bloc, climbing and bouldering walls respectively.

alexxx
    Free Member

Yup scouted those 2 out already – looks like an alright local for climbing (My current local is Kendal).

Ratho looks good too but a little far in city traffic maybe?

So TBC is dead… long live TBC? Whats the go to bike shop now?

ehrob

Pedals is my favourite, there’s quite a few shops though.

As this is a mountain bike forum I’ll point out that you’re an hours drive from arguably the best riding in the UK, which I don’t think has been mentioned yet.

geoffj

As this is a mountain bike forum I’ll point out that you’re an hours drive from arguably the best trail centres riding in the UK, which I don’t think has been mentioned yet.

FTFY 😉

xora

Ratho looks good too but a little far in city traffic maybe?

Its an easy cycle out along the canal 🙂

alexxx
    Free Member

Xora – awesome that’s a good plan. Sorry lame question – don’t suppose you know if they have secure bike storage there? Being a country bumpkin I obviously think everyone in a city wants to steal my stuff without a seconds hesitation.

The riding is one of the reasons I’m moving. I’ve lived an hour from Inners before but the middle of butt **** nowhere. So this time Edinburgh as the base for some Golfy and Dunkeld action.

AdamW
    Free Member

Go up Arthur’s Seat. Not too taxing, takes about an hour.

xora

Jump on a train to Glasgow.

As an ex Edinburgher (well Leither) this is correct 😀

xora

Xora – awesome that’s a good plan. Sorry lame question – don’t suppose you know if they have secure bike storage there?

I don’t never been there, just know the canal goes past! Good pub in Ratho village for emergency calories though 😀

alexxx
    Free Member

haha fair enough 😀 – Whats the pub called?

Whys Glasgow got all the hype at the moment? I didn’t mind it when I visited but it seems fairly sprawled and flat? Better music venues though it would seem.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

There’s some bike racks/rails outside for locking your bike to at Ratho. So you’ll be fine.

GeoffJ there’s plenty beyond the trail centres that’s way more exciting 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

Whys Glasgow got all the hype at the moment?

Its not just at the moment. Lived in both Glasgow is more interesting and there is no bloody festival and far fewer muppet tourists.

Edinburgh is good too mind.

tjagain

Looking for somewhere to live? Leith is the place ( I happen to live there) 25 eating and drinking establishments with 400m of my flat from michelin starred to cheap and cheerful

For my money don’t go to the ‘burbs – you will slowly die inside. Live in the city or outside of it

What I did when I arrived here 25 years ago was to check out which areas I could afford to live in then cycled around them to find which bits I liked. I suggest this as a plan.

tjagain

Traffic commuting in from the west is horrendous BTW. for me one of the key advantages of Edinburgh is you can cycle anywhere in the city from anywhere else within an hour hence live in the city.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Edinburgh… Recommendations?!’ is closed to new replies.