Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Moving to Conwy
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

In a couple of weeks I’ll be moving to Conwy (well Deganwy to be precise) so thought I’d pick the collective mind of STW for advice 🙂 does anyone have any mtb route suggestions? I’ve ridden a bit up on Conwy mtn and the Carneddi and there seems to be lot of good stuff up there – but a bit of a maze of tracks! There’s also a few bridleways on the map in the Llandudno hinterland and one over the great orme – are they worth exploring?

Also any suggestions for road ride loops? Is marine drive round the Orme a good route, or busy with gawking tourists in cars? Does anyone ride with the Rhos on Sea club – there website mentions a ‘social’ Saturday ride, but I’m not sure if that is actually an 80 miler! At moment I’m probably more of a 40 miler 🙂

Any other suggestions for good pubs / places to eat most welcome 🙂 oh, and has anyone been to the climbing wall at the leisure centre in Llandudno? I currently go down to the Beacon, but that will be a bit of a trot from Deganwy.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The Bog Trotters are doing a weekend there:
    Fri 26 Nov..Sun 28 Nov

and would be happy to show you the route to Llanfairfechan and back if you liked 🙂
    click pic for more

there are lots of interesting tracks on Conwy Mountain Mynydd y Dref right above the town

Russell96

Sue, plenty of locals here MBNW

Sue_W
    Free Member

Simon – thanks for the invite, if I’m around that weekend I’ll try and join you – although your reputation for photos / girls preceeds you 🙂

Russel – many thanks for the link. I’m guessing that rides etc are arranged via the forum? Have you been out with them?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon – thanks for the invite, if I’m around that weekend I’ll try and join you – although your reputation for photos / girls preceeds you

I’m not going so you may breathe a sigh of relief 🙂

daveevs
    Free Member

Sue – I would offer to show you around, but I’m just packing up and getting ready to leave Conwy.

I don’t know what’s on your doorstep from Deganwy, but Conwy Mountain has all the wide tracks Mr Barnes has shown, plus much much more… You can make loops from 1h to 3h+ depending on what you include. The Fairy Glen pub does a nice pint too.

For winter, Marin is about 30 mins south, Penmacho (if you must), about 45 mins.

For Real Mountains (TM!), head west and UP from Aber to Drum and beyond.

To eat, Bisto Bach inside the town walls is great. As is the chippy!

Croeso!

project
    Free Member

Fantastic place to live,and ride,watch out for the bling old biddies in old colwyn,aiming cars at you,as for the coastal drive at llandudno its only one way lovely ride though,cycling is banned on the prom,theres also riote 5 of the national cycling network, a lot off road on dedicated tracks from chester to holyhead.

Betws y coed and dolgarrog are just down the road, and a new MTB mecca is being built at Blaenau festiniog, then you also have Gwydr and Penmachno.

Do you have a spare room. 🙁 its mtb heaven round there.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Plenty of riding to be had also there’s lots of girls ride on mbnw as russ said, if you have lights we do regular night rides on a Wednesday, happy to join you on a ride and introduce you to some locals. Even if your posh as your moving to Deganwy 😉

Page 89 of singletrack has a great pic overlooking Penmaenmawr and Dwygyfychi with Llandudno & great orme in the distance!

Bunnyhop

We used to climb/walk up the ‘Vardre’ as children, not sure if you can (legally) mtb on it though.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Diolch yn fawr pawb 🙂

will definately check out mbnw after I’ve moved, and check out the route up Drum – and cheers for the cafe / chippie recommendations!

A couple of friends who know the area had mentioned Deganwy has a reputation for being a bit posh – don’t think this applies to the house I’m moving into (which is more bijou than mansion) nor me 🙂

hopefully catch up with some of you at some point

Russell96

Sue, yes they are a good bunch spread all over North Wales so lots of knowledge/rides to be had.

simonralli2
    Free Member

There is a very good bike book with routes in that area, it may be called Bikefax North Wales – I am sure someone here will remember what it is – lots of great riding where you are.

Vortexracing

Mother in law has a caravan there, fantastic place.

a few of us are planning a weekend riding there in October, if you fancy joining us.

Jo_h will be with us so you won’t be the only lady. We will be probably doing Conwy/Drum and back to Conwy.

It’s great riding up there, if you e mail me I can send you a couple of GPX routes or i’ll do a screen grab and attach them to the email.

This is what it’s like form the top looking down on The bay and the great Orme. I love the place

[/url]
    P1000447 by eastham_david, on Flickr

let me know if you wnat more info

Cheers

Dave

eastham8 at aol dot com

Forgot to add the White house on the road into conwy is a nice homely place and not to expensive grub wise.

Russell96

You forget to mention the infamous Rowen YHA climb thou!

Vortexracing

You forget to mention the infamous Rowen YHA climb thou!

I didn’t forget, I just thought it was best not to 8)

project
    Free Member

The Conway Estuary also had the longest and first in the UK, submerged road tunnel, where the tunnel was made in sections floated out and sunk into a trench,in the estuary.

Also Albert Tatlock off Coronation St was reputedly to have had a house in Deganwy, it is that posh.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Excellent! I was wondering what you’d decided to do, following your post from a few months ago. I was someone else then… 😳

Deganwy? You’ll be round the corner from Kevevs! He knows all the best places to ride in that area. I’ll email him a link to this thread, so’s you can get in touch. He’s proper Welsh as well.

Daveevs, are you related to Kevevs???

I love that bit of Wales. Proper nice. Just wish it was a bit closer to London*. 🙁

*Kev is probably glad it isn’t…

Oh, and if you get the train there, you have to tell the guard that you want to get off at Deganwy, or it won’t stop! S’true!

cxi
    Free Member

I spent many a day working at the new hotel at Deganwy during it’s build. I got to personally know every bump and grove on the A55 🙁

Bunnyhop

Ah yes – the Rowen climb/push. That very nearly killed me!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Ah – push / climbs – my favourite! Thanks all for advice / invites / general welcome.

Elf – yes, well remembered! I dithered for ages, but in the end couldn’t leave the mountains or the sea, so now really glad to be living in north Wales (even though the weather was utterly shite on Sunday – but hey I guess that’s what climbing walls are for)

Kevevs
    Free Member

well, anyone up for it? we will be in Marin car park for about, say 11am Friday? no big crazy hardcore riding, just fun and chat and cycling if you fancy. Get in touch kevinevs@yahoo.co.uk

sue, you are in a great spot for biking and the outdoors 🙂

my manager at work is into bouldering and free climbing. Just get in touch and I’m sure you’ll have an outdoor social scene organised soon enough. I hope you are happy with your move. I dithered for far too long time to move here from london.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh, can I come??? 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

yeah, why not!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I will soon Kev, I will soon….

Kevevs
    Free Member

SFB, do you think I could tag along? your gang will only be down the road…

Sue_W
    Free Member

Cheers all!

Kevevs – I’m afraid I’ll be at work this Friday, but do sometimes get some flexi time. If it’s ok, I’ll drop you a line after I’ve moved and have finished unpacking boxes etc and see if you’re heading out for another ride at some point.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Moving to Conwy’ is closed to new replies.