Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Moving house – removals cost?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

How do all…

We’re moving house in next couple of weeks. We had hoped to put everything in a hired luton van and drive it over ourselves, but having packed some stuff, it is looking like we have far more crap that we thought.

We’ve had a couple of quotes from removal firms, which seem really expensive. One of £1000 and one of £750. This is for a 2 bedroom terrace with a shed and loft, we’re packing stuff ourselves. Moving from Croydon to Cheltenham.

Is this reasonable? How much should I be expecting to pay?

Dave

wwaswas

It’s in the range I would have expected based on my experience.

philconsequence
    Free Member

strong mates and the promise of a couple of crates of beer each as payment plus a lavish bbq provided by you.

yossarian
    Free Member

Earlier this year we paid £650 to have a company come in and fully pack and transport our 3 bed terrace. We only moved about a mile and a half. They came and packed on the Thursday, stored our stuff overnight then moved our stuff in the following day. They aren’t a million miles away from you so maybe worth a call.

http://www.foxs-removals.com/

Was very impressed. We just went and stayed in a hotel overnight. I never knew moving could be so easy.

alfabus
    Free Member

We’re in a chain, so we’ll need to have everything on the road at once, on a weekday.

Tricky to get mates to take holiday at short notice (we don’t know the completion date yet) and we’d have take hire vans back to where we got them from (double fuel cost) or pay extortionate one-way hire costs.

I did strongly consider the mates approach, but it is looking like a false economy. That being said, if it really is going to be the best part of a grand, maybe I should look at the numbers more closely.

Dave

TheFlyingOx

If you have your C1 license, hire a 7.5 tonner. They’re not as difficult to drive as you’d first expect. I just moved my best mate down from RAF Leuchars to Leeds, then took another RAF guy onwards to RAF Coningsby. Quote from the likes of Pickfords was over £2000. A 7.5 tonne lorry from Arnold Clark for 3 days was £370.

alfabus
    Free Member

only got a standard car license…. can’t even tow a big trailer because I passed my test after 1997 (missed the date by about a month, so no trailer license)

TheFlyingOx

Hmmm. No mates passed before? That’s how I got roped into it: 19th December 2006

alfabus
    Free Member

hmm, I didn’t realise that pre-97 people got C1 as well as the trailer bit.

I might see if I can rope my dad or brother into helping me out.

We don’t have anything that is going to be particularly difficult to move (flat pack bed, no wardrobes), it is just the quantity of stuff. 7 bikes need to squeeze in somewhere too!

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

Good news, my brother has a C1 license, and is willing to help.

He has the added benefit of being addicted to curry, so is very easy to bribe 🙂

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Moving house – removals cost?’ is closed to new replies.