Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Moving back to the UK, I work remotely, which areas should I look at?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

Exmoor. its better than everywhere else. but just promise not to tell anyone.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I live in the NE of the Dartmoor National Park.

Exeter is 25 mins away. Plymouth a little more. Bristol a tad under 90 mins. Lot’s going on locally, and quite a few similar businesses, and we’ve just got fibre in the village. Direct access to the high moor in one direction and forests and river the other. Great MTB and road riding from the door. North Cornwall and South Devon coasts both within an hour. Loads of decent pubs in the area too!

I really wouldn’t live anywhere else.

350K would get you an average sized property of a good standard in the National Park itself but if you venture north of the A30 then you’d get something really quite substantial with views of the moor for that sort of money (5 bed detached place with views recently went near Winkleigh for under 300K).

Rockape63
    Free Member

Got to be the west country….so much going for it and Devon prices are reasonable.

xc-steve
    Free Member

South West rocks beaches, moors, forests and local ale…

If I had to choose elsewhere I’d head to one of the valley’s around Cardiff buy a house for like £35k spend your change on a new bike etc and Welsh lessons.

natrix
    Free Member

I’m doing the same soon, but with a budget of 35 quid and no job.

Get a cheap tent and move to Cornwall area where it’s warmer and you won’t mind camping. 8)

DaRC_L

Get a cheap tent and move to Cornwall area

Not if you’re an MTB’er

nowhere near the south.

What about South Wales? Have you looked at Dumfries area

Rockape63
    Free Member

Shhhh…don’t tell anyone about Northumberland…don’t want southerners finding out about it and making it busy!

FFS, we complain about the weather now…..we’d be suicidal up there!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Always love an excuse for some West Country browsing. Have a gander at this>

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49723846.html

How many boxes does that tick……for me! 🙂

Kunstler

Arrochar.

Fantastic mountains, loch (sea and Loch Lomond), reasonable drive times to Glasgow and there’s a train station in the village.

The last time I was on the train as it looks down into Arrochar and Loch Long I overheard some SE English accented holidaymakers pondering on how people survive the remoteness off places like this. They seemed to have forgotten getting on the train at a large city 30 miles away.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

mid wales.

you must like rain though

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Biased, but I say Wales 🙂

After a recent steady coast to coast ride, the place I’d like to live is around Machynlleth.
    Amazing riding, close to the coast, great community. Many rural towns are getting priority fibre broadband, so that won’t be an issue.

Rains a bit and a pain to get anywhere else.

Jerome
    Free Member

Would be Brighton for me – where I live.
    As I go sailing a lot.
    Having to move to North West London though in August
    Hmm

DaRC_L

Would be Brighton for me

No, no, no the last thing we need darn sarf is to encourage more people in. They’re trying to pave over the coastline and Weald as it is.

epicyclo

Highlands.

Near Inverness for access to transport hub.

Plenty brilliant riding, cheap houses, and best of all for a mtb rider, open access to the countryside.

danposs86

Anywhere along the BARN internet route?

http://b4rn.org.uk/

So North Yorkshire, just south of Ingleton. Great access to Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and many other great riding areas, on road and off. (TdF route is close by)

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Moving back to the UK, I work remotely, which areas should I look at?’ is closed to new replies.