Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Moving a bathroom
  • scotchegg
    Free Member

So folks having bought our first house and had a baby in the last 12 months the referb is about to begin.

However the first discussion erupted this evening. We are in a 1930’s detached 3 bed.

The bathroom is far bigger than the small box room.

My thoughts are seeing as we are fitting a new bathroom suite move to the small room and have a larger bedroom. But mrs scotch egg is worried this will de-value our home.

What would be the preference?

1) bathroom with separate bath and shower

2)larger bedroom and a shower over the bath

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My preference would be for separate.
    If I get your thinking you will move the bathroom into the box room and convert the old bathroom into a smaller bedroom?
    In terms of devaluing your house, how long do you plan to live in it? If it’s a long time them having somewhere nicer to live outweighs the potential drop in value.

nickjb
    Free Member

How easy will the move be? If it’s a traditional 30s house then one room will be at the front and one at the back. How will you move the drains? Personally I’d prefer the bigger bathroom as the spare bedroom is rarely used. Don’t think it will make much difference to value.

allthepies
    Free Member

Do what you feel suits you best, you’re living there 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would prefer a bigger bedroom but it depends if you use it or not. If it is a spare it wont really get used if you have another child then it will get used.
    FWIW bathrooms dont need a window

I cannot see how a larger bedroom devalues your home tbh. I cannot see the change, either way, making that much difference tbh but if you have two kids you will want even sized rooms for them both IMHO

footflaps

In terms of devaluing your house, how long do you plan to live in it? If it’s a long time them having somewhere nicer to live outweighs the potential drop in value.

I’ve always done stuff to increase my enjoyment of the house rather than worry about re-sale value. Although it helps that we have no plans to move (ever), unless something drastic happens…

dooosuk
    Free Member

If I was looking at a house, a bigger bedroom would be more important rather than whether the shower was over the bath or standalone.

Whether the cost to relocate is prohibitive is a different matter.

northernmatt

I’d go for the bigger bedroom. If you have the space get a showerbath then you have the extra space at the end where the shower is.

Just make sure that you move all the water supply and wastes over to the smaller room. The main one is going to be the soil stack as that is where everything is going to end up. If it’s an internal one it could be a bit of a PITA.

garyfisher
    Free Member

I was looking at doing the same sort of thing. Moving the hot and cold feed was going to be simple, but moving the soil pipe from the front to the back of the house was going to make it very difficult. It came down to a choice of macerator toilet or leave things alone. So the bathroom stayed where it is.

hooli

I would say get a builder or plumber to come round and give you and idea of price to move it, it may help make your mind up pretty quickly. Regardless of resale value, if it costs a lot to do now then it may be a non starter.

avdave2

If you put a child into either optional bedroom it will fill it with crap until there is no more room left. How much space would you like to give a child to fill your house with crap? 🙂

As above , the first thing you need to consider is the drains and the costs of doing that. Only then can you decide what to do.

scotchegg
    Free Member

Thanks folks. The soil pipe is external and on the same side of the house so it won’t be a trauma to move. It will mean the bathroom going on the front of the house. Does any one think this is an issue?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Could you actually get a bed (and I’m talking at least a single, not a kid sized bed) and some cupboards into your current bathroon area?

If so, then I’d not really see an issue. If your ‘new’ bedroom would take a bed then I think you’d be in problems then.

Stuff like the fall of the waste pipes etc. still being feasible is the stuff builder/plumber can comment on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Moving a bathroom’ is closed to new replies.