Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Movies that should never have been remade / sequels / prequels
  • misterfrostie
    Free Member

Electricrussell – are you called that cos of a certain Reeves and Mortimer movie ?

CountZero

Alien Vs Predator. How in the name of all that is good and holy can something that features both Aliens AND Predators go so horribly wrong?

Oh, so very, very true. I had such high hopes, never bothered to go and see it.
    Now, if they'd payed attention to the Dark Horse comic it would have been like Predators with Aliens as well as humans. Now that would have been good with a good director.

Edric64
    Free Member

Can I add Pearl Harbour? ,not a remake of, but Tora,Tora,Tora!was a much better and far more historical film

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The Haunting. (original and remake)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Highlander.

molgrips
    Free Member

Highlander 2 is held up as an example of how the industry can f*ck a film over. I watched a programme about it once. It went way over budget, so much so that the insurers stepped in. When they do that, they have all these stipulations as to how the film has to go. Which in this case completely went against the creative ideas, and ruined the film. The director and writers etc were horribly embarrassed about it all. That's why the third movie follows on from the first and ignores the second.

Oh and I didn't think the second Italian Job was that bad of a film. Not really a remake though since the only thing that was the same was the title. So yes it's not like the original, but who cares?

hels
    Free Member

Forbidden Planet is one of the best films ever, I would love to see a remake, the source material is excellent and I think it could carry a more modern interpretation. Would be good to see how they move on the plot without all the sexist bs too !

BigJohn

I thought Mutiny on the Buses was a brilliant sequel to On the Buses, but the 3rd and last in the series, Holiday on the Buses, was disappointing, and frankly just cashing in on the box-office success of the first 2.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Grease II for sequel and the Wickerman for remake.

theotherjonv

They did Prequels on I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue earlier this week. With such classics as:

Has anyone seen Red October?

The Man who knew enough

Robo Community Support Officer

Four engagements and a hospital visit

Build your Wagon

and my favourites:

Cheese Based supper on Elm Street.

and….. Groundhog Day.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I've not seen the US remake of Funny Games, but it strikes me as uncalled-for.

I'm fascinated by the Stallone Get Carter. So glad not to have seen that…

13thfloormonk

The re-make of 'Taking of Pelham 123' seemed utterly pointless.

The original relied upon a decent plot, backed up by snappy dialogue between the cast. Basically nothing that could really be improved with extra special effects. 🙄

VanHalen

transformers.

loved them as a kid. the new ones are tosh.

RealMan
    Free Member

All Harry Potter films. Horrible. Books are amazing, films make me want to kill myself.

Die Hard 4.0. Die Hard 1 is probably the best action film ever. Die Hard 2 was a bit hit and miss, but still a solid film. Die Hard 3 was actually pretty cool, if a bit different. Die Hard 4.0 was just stupid. I don't want computers and technology. I want Bruce Willis throwing dead German terrorists out of buildings.

Transformers was so boring I couldn't be bothered to watch the second one.

Someone mentioned Oceans 11, I would also like to mention Oceans 12, Oceans 13, and any others that have passed me by.

Final Destination 1 was cool, the rest were nothing special.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

'The Jackal' was on last night. How Bruce Willis in a wig thought he'd top 'The Day of..' is a mystery.

I watched Edge of Darkness, the BBC version last week. It's still brilliant. Dated now, but still a masterclass. The Melanie Gibson one I won't even have mentioned in the house.

DezB
    Free Member

Remakes: +1 for The Hitcher. No need!
    also Nikita (I'm sure there's loads more I can't think of

Sequels: Godfather pt3 (one with Andy Garcia) was a total letdown after the first two.

Highlander was rubbish anyway, so don't care what the sequels are like!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I can't believe noone has mentioned Terminator 3 yet, awful awful awful!

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

Electricrussell – are you called that cos of a certain Reeves and Mortimer movie ?

Yes. The Weekenders.

organic355
    Free Member

There is apparently an Americanised version of "Let the Right One In" being made.

I just watched that at the weekend, I am sure the hollywood version will be utter tosh and detract from the stark (Swedish?) feel of the original.

Not seen it yet but the new karate kid probably shouldn't have been made, although jackie chan movies are always mildly entertaining.

Also the A-team, not an original movie but now is. please leave my childhood movies/series alone!! – oh yeah, Dukes of Hazard, appalling!!

But in contradiction, battlestar Galactica the modern series is quite good!

organic355
    Free Member

Not sure terminator Salvation really added much to the series either did it?

Did make me laugh when the "Governator" lookylikey appeared though!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Gone with the Wind. The one starring Myra Binglebat and Peter Beardsley was definitive.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Highlander 2 must surely be the worst.

I don't mind the 1st two Starwars prequels and really like the 3rd one.

The remake of Funny Games is fine but not seen the original.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

apparently there is another Mad Max film due which doesn't fill with me with joy. The first was ace, the second was ok. Should have left it there.

13thfloormonk

Bigyinn, Terminator Three looks like a faithful and relevant addition to the series compared to Terminator 4, which was a confused mess and I fell asleep in the middle of.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Forbidden Planet is one of the best films ever, I would love to see a remake, the source material is excellent and I think it could carry a more modern interpretation. Would be good to see how they move on the plot without all the sexist bs too !

No No No, that film is an absolute classic and couldn't ever be improved upon. Dread to think what they would do to the Robot and the Laser Cannons.
    Daresay the classic saucer shape would be gone too along with the atmospheric sound effects
    If it ain't broke don't fix it applies very aptly to this superb bit of film making

AlasdairMc

I declare checkmate with Indiana Jones 4 – what a horrific sequel!!

Worst remake in my mind was Assault on Precinct 13, the original was nicely claustrophobic whereas the remake was just big budget rubbish.

hels
    Free Member

But how could Indiana Jones 4 be bad ?? It had Jim from Neighbours in it ! Always a hallmark of quality…

How about films that started dire and got increasingly more awful – I open with Saw and all it's progeny.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Most of what has come out of Hollywood has been a complete waste of resources, if you consider the plethora of amazing films that have been made all over the World, but have never had anywhere near the exposure they deserved. All the Bourne films have been particularly attrocious.

As for terrible films that should never have been made in the first place, there ar far too many. We should concentrate on really good films that have been sullied by their sequels.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you….

…Emmanuelle 2.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

ElectricRussell – you don't have a copy on DVD do you ? I love it.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I am slightly concerned about the forthcoming Dambusters remake.

lemme guess, the bombers will be B17s crewed by American airmen, and the commander of the raid will NOT have a black labrador named to rhyme with Tigger

Forbidden Planet is a classic, yet based (IIRC) on The Tempest

ex-pat
    Free Member

Day of the Jackal.
    Jaws – II, III and 3D or whatever that abomination was called.
    And I would say starsky and hutch, but grim as it was compared to the original, it was watchable in a weird kind of way.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Funny games – isn't the remake a shot by shot version of the original, and also by the same director?
    I thought it was very good (and quite disturbing).

M6TTF
    Free Member

Dusk til dawn sequels – atrocious! Donnie darko 2 dear oh dear

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Forbidden Planet is a classic, yet based (IIRC) on The Tempest

Tis indeed true, one remake is enough then

hels
    Free Member

Mr Taxi – I don't think Forbidden Planet was the first remake of The Tempest ! Or the last.

Nearly all Hollywood remakes of "foreign" films are awful. Off the top of my head "Desperados" with whats his face, the standard Hispanic male lead, in the Zorro films you know the guy.

DezB
    Free Member

Spy Kids 3 in 3D was nowhere near as good as the first two.

Also Madagaskar 2 and Open Season 2 were not a patch on the openers (according to my 7 year old)

molgrips
    Free Member

Overall, Madagascar 2 was not as good, but the plane crash sequence is absolutely frigging hilarious 😆

kimbers

well fwiw

i think the first italian job was pretty crap anyway, apart from driving the minis round the roof of the fiat factory its just some silly cockney heist movie with bennie hill

get carter on the other hand was and still is one of the best gangster films ever made so the remake was always gonna suck donkey balls

however i saw Predators last night and it was fraking brilliant!!! if we could just pretend that predator 2 and the avp films never existed then this would be a great sequel to predator

bigrich

the time machine – excremental.

ElectricRussell
    Free Member

I thought Predator 2 wasn't that bad but i've not seen it for years.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Movies that should never have been remade / sequels / prequels’ is closed to new replies.