Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Moved to a new area… how the hell do you build up a social circle???
  • Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Today I have spent being bored and lonely. Was supposed to be out mountain biking, but have the lurgy… and it occured to me I really need to build up a social network so that I can find folk to go to the pub with… or something.

Problem is – I haven’t had to do this type of thing for years – I don’t work with anyone so can’t use work colleagues to build up a group of friends. So – any suggestions? Don’t fancy going out to the pub and talking at random strangers – you tend to get a reputation if you do that kind of thing 😉 Used to work mind, but I was usually plastered and out my box on ‘phet… but then so was everyone else so it was all acceptable. Don’t think a small South Lakes market town would be the right place for that approach somehow.

twohats
    Free Member

Local MTB club?

crazy-legs

Whereabouts are you? “Small S.Lakes market town” – Kendal?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

akira

Try an online bike forum.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

There isn’t one… alas 🙁

Considered the photographic society, but I just get the feeling they are all old folk set in their ways (they have slide competitions… which kind of says it all).

Other thoughts are Tai Chi, but that may be a bit of an old folk magnet, unless they are doing it properly… or there is an Akido club that I could look into, but can’t do their Monday sessions just yet as I have to travel upto Scotland that day on a weekly basis for a bit longer yet.

wors

put an advert in the local shop!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Well, you could always see if anyone on this forum lives ’round and about!! 😉

geoffj

small South Lakes market town careful, that’s SFB territory 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Nah – not Kendal… that’s a metropolis that is! Ulverston.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Aye Foxy… just don’t want to constantly hassle you like!

Gutted I couldn’t go out with yer good man today doing that mountain biking thing… but got a big week this week and need to shift as much of this lurgy as possible.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FoxyChick – Member
    Well, you could always see if anyone on this forum lives ’round and about!!

RobS, looks like you’ve pulled.

I have to say, I’m most jealous. She’s been playing hard to get for ages with me! Treat her well!
    😈 😉 😈

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

walk into local pub, order pint, chat to barstaff/locals, simple

Smee
    Free Member

Find the local dogging spots.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Aaaah Cap’n… it’s nice to see this place hasn’t changed too much 😆

boxelder

Biketreks evening ride.
    The ridethelakes crew.
    If you fancy trying something different, there’s a 3hr Trailquest (bike orienteering) event running from Ravenglass (SW coast) next Sunday (8th Feb) – wide range of folk will be there (probably 70+, from 16yrs to 60+). We always end up in the pub for a couple of hours afterwards.
    Mail westcoastmtb@googlemail.com if you fancy more info – It’s really friendly and down to earth, and you’ll meet plenty riders (of the round and over the fells, then pub for a beer variety) from that area.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Well, offers on for next Sunday biking, followed by lunch out if you want!

Hope your weeks goes OK!!

ton

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    walk into local pub, order pint, chat to barstaff/locals, simple

youv’e never been to ulverston have you??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FoxyChick – Member
    Well, offers on for next Sunday biking, followed by lunch out if you want!

Hope your weeks goes OK!!

Thanks, petal. Your place or mine?
    😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Hmmm… Sunday… not sure yet – an old friend is enticing me over to Leeds to drink my bodyweight in beer, and I was kind of thinking of taking the “scenic” route to get there… via Macclesfield… to look at a motorbike 😉 That may be the main draw for going through to Leeds come to mention it!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Mmmm….Leeds/whisky…Leeds/beer…there seems to be a pattern emerging! 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Last time I walked into the pub and started chatting to anyone random in Ulverston I was accosted by a very insistant and very “nice” boy. I had to threaten him with physical violence eventually to make him leave me alone!!!

The bar man was in stitches. Git.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Yeah… there was beer last time too 😉

I am very versatile with my drinking!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

small South Lakes market town careful, that’s SFB territory

no, I’m in cosmopolitan Lancaster!

Ulverston.

pub fight capital of the south Lakes I believe 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

Football club, rugby club or if team games aren’t your thing I’ve noticed that young ladies like horses. Get a horse. That fox-hunting thing looks a shit load of fun 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think I dislike horsey people more than footy. And I hate footy :o)

Fagus
    Free Member

Most of my youth was misspent drinking Hartley’s XB in The Globe. Strange place Ulverston. Ever been to the Laurel & Hardy museum? The main attraction seems to be a door that one of them walked through once!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

5thElefant, in many places, getting involved with the hunt is a fine way to meet people.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have managed to avoid the Laurel & Hardy museum thus far 😉

Funny enough I did live here once before, but that was 25 years ago… not that the place has changed much since I was a wee lad at Lightburn School.

I do enjoy drinking the occasional pint of XB though 😉

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Eh, fagus, there’s nowt bloody strange about Ulverston!!! 😈

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

-youv’e never been to ulverston have you??

i was born round there :p

ton

played rugby in the following up there
    ulverston
    millom
    walney
    lowca
    dearham
    frizington
    dearham
    barrow island
    hensingham.

now i am a pretty outgoing kinda bloke.
    not much flusters me, but i would be a bit shaky going into a pub up there and introducing myself as a ‘oft comer’ 😀 good luck.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

By born “around there” do you actually mean Barrow in Furness 😉

My wee sister was born there, and hates to be reminded of the fact for some reason… think she has ideas above her station though!!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

getting involved with the hunt is a fine way to meet people.

who like killing things 🙁

FoxyChick
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon…I live in Ulverston!!!!!!!!!!!!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

get on the train one stop to Dalton, one pub every 10 steps down the main drag :o)

robdob
    Free Member

That fox-hunting thing looks a **** load of fun

It’s ok, the red coats are expensive and kinda itchy though.

Tally Ho! 😉

5thElefant
    Free Member

5thElefant, in many places, getting involved with the hunt is a fine way to meet people.

Yep, don’t doubt it.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Dalton???? 😯 😯 😯

Fagus
    Free Member

Foxy, curiously I quite miss the place. Can’t agree with sfb (nothing new there) but I never saw a pub fight. Used to know all the pubs round there; is The Blacksmith’s up at scissors still going? Beer straight from the barrel sat on top of the bar, and sit on settees in the front lounge. Probably a gastro pub now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Moved to a new area… how the hell do you build up a social circle???’ is closed to new replies.