Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Move to Earlsfield or surbiton?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Ok straight fight between these 2 now. Working in chertsey for a year then epsom or st heliers. I know surbiton closer for first year but at the moment we’re thinking specifically about which is more interesting or lively to live in? I realise neither is “real”london etc. gf’s sister lives in putney, mates in kensal green and brockley so if easy to see them all the better but not a priority. Nor is cycling for the sake of this discussion

andymc06
    Free Member

Surbiton is a nicer area, near to Kingston for good shopping and easier to get out into the countryside. Very good fast train link to central London also. Surbiton would be my choice.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Surbiton every time!
    Surbiton is close to the river, it has a main line station (Waterloo, 20 mins), easy access to the country, wide leafy avenues, good bars and restaurants, etc.
    Earlsfield has Dog shit, stabbings and stuff…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Of those two Surbiton. However why those two choice, the commute I assume by car will be a hassle. Why not live closer, eg in Chertsey.

trevron73
    Free Member

Wandsworth has good and bad mostly great go earlsfield unless you are a city banker?

beanieripper
    Free Member

both severe shltholes?

aP
    Free Member

I would think very carefully about exactly how long you’re prepared to spend each day commuting. Living in Surbiton will give you probably at the minimum an additional 200 hours a year more personal time. It may well be nice living in a place with more interesting things going on but if you’re spending all you’re time commuting.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Not chertsey because not interested in living there and also only there for a year. I appreciate the issue regarding commuting but after 4 years of derby we want a bit of life. I know it’ll prob be noisy smelly and dirty but it’s only for a couple years then off to scotland so a bit of city living is what we’re after.

Bernie, um thanks? Feel free too add something constructive like somewhere non shithole 😉

Ap, excellent point although I think the balance shifts for the second year? (want to stay in one place for both years) but that said it’s a great illustration of the tangible benefit to being closer

J-R

So would you be in the medical profession of some sort?

I’s support the comments above. Surbiton is further from central London but has a good train service in. It is probably a “nicer” surburban area than Earlsfield and is very handy for Kingston for shopping and A3 for driving.

Driving from either to Epsom or St Helier won’t be fantastic, but could be worse, probably Surbiton has the edge. Train to Epsom might be slightly easier from Earlsfield as from Surbiton you’ll need to change – but not much in it TBH.

kilo

Live in sw19 and work near surbiton and I’ll vote surbiton. imo a bit nicer than earlsfied (but that may be because I am old now!!). Surbiton has decent food shops (big waitrose m&S)a few restaurants and ok pubs. “Lifestyle” wise for earlsfield you have wimbledon close at hand and for surbiton you have kingston, of the two kingston has better shopping – if you like that, a decent record shop, good road bike shop, the river and I believe a least one good bookshop having a university there. It is also hell on eath on a saturday. Commute from surbiton to epsom would be easy by bike / car, slightly nadgier to st heliers. Bear in mind despite what estate agents say tolworth is not surbiton and is a cultural void with poor train service. Berrylands is nice but seems to be just housing and a tennis club.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Haven’t you asked this question already? Repeatedly?

atlaz
    Free Member

Surbiton. Lived there for 5 years and can’t say I’d be sorry if I had to go back. The river is right there, there’s some good pubs and at least one really good restaurant and the train links are excellent.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Yes shippy, have you answered constructively once? Didn’t think so

Thanks for other replies

Jr, yeah working in hospitals

TPTcruiser

Earlsfield. Only one stop out from Clapham Junction giving you the option of Victoria or Waterloo. If your focus is city living then you would mainly be looking towards the centre for leisure and may as well be closer. The Commons give you plenty of open space and sky. Reggie Perrin came from Surbiton? Train was always 11 minutes late…
    Used to live near St John’s Hill, between CJ and Wandsworth, but this was 21 years ago 😕

LenHankie

Surbiton. Lived there for six years, and would happily move back if possible.

If you’re driving to Epsom for work then it’s barely any distance at all. Surbiton also has the A3 on your doorstep and a very fast and regular train service ( Waterloo in 17mins or so).

Although you said cycling isn’t important for the sake of this, you are also closer to the Surrey Hills or Epsom Downs.

beanieripper – Member
    both severe shltholes?

Where do you live beanie ripper?! Belgravia, Knightsbridge?

LenHankie

Also, as said above, avoid Tolworth if possible. Nearer the river is generally nicer.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Move to Earlsfield or surbiton?’ is closed to new replies.