Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • move over eggbeater- minimalist pedal.
  • cinnamon_girl

Is it reliable and indestructable, unlike Egg Beaters??

mikewsmith
    Free Member

considering how nice the clipping is on CB’s it will be interesting to see how nice they are and what they are like to actually used day to day.

Stoner
    Free Member

I reckon getting good at clipping in may take some practice as there’s no “stop” when foot meets pedal like most other systems. More likely to end up trashing your foot rolling over the pedal 10 times before a successful engagement.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Using almost twenty year old Spesh shoes in the gif there hardly inspires confidence…! 🙂

wwaswas

Interesting product.

It does look like it was developed in a dry state though – walk 10 yards in the mud round here and you’d be clearing the cleat our with a flat screwdriver before the pedal would engage.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Look good but I do not see them being very tolerant of mud/particles and suck like.

Do like the aesthetics though.

Edit…. Beaten to it

oliverracing

I do like the look of them and the 240g for steel option really does tempt the inner weight weenie!

miketually
    Free Member

Imagine having to explain to everyone you met that your pedal wasn’t broken.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    Imagine having to explain to everyone you met that your pedal wasn’t broken.

You mean like someone riding on CrankBrothers pedals? 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

oliverracing – Member
    I do like the look of them and the 240g for steel option really does tempt the inner weight weenie!

Ti Eggbeaters 176g http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_eggbeater11.php
    Ti Candies 226g http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_candy11.php

I’m guessing thats without cleats but it’s not the biggest weight saving.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time MX12, with a mini platform –

lemonysam
    Free Member

that’s one pedal with no cleats vs two pedals with cleats…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Very true, but it’s a pedal that won’t clog at the merest hint of mud, and where the bearings will last forever. Lighter isn’t always better!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Very true, but it’s a pedal that won’t clog at the merest hint of mud, and where the bearings will last forever. Lighter isn’t always better!

I will settle for light, good functionality, no mud clogging and easy bearing replacement.

njee20
    Free Member

Mmmm, interesting. I agree with Stoner though, looks like it would be very easy to skate straight over the pedal. Could make for mess race starts, particularly with some of the racier Shimano shoes which have no tread in the midsole.

The bits that actually clip into the shoe look quite thin too, like they’d wear/bend very fast. Perhaps a race day only pedal.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Hadn’t seen those new Time pedals – look interesting. Barely any heavier than the XC4’s I’m on at the moment but with a decent size platform.

Cheaper ones are always better value though –
    Mx6 – 437g £60
    mx8 – 364g £100 (£1.80 a gram saving over model down)
    Mx12 – 322g £230 (£3 a gram saving over model down)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Barely any heavier than the XC4’s I’m on at the moment but with a decent size platform.

Indeed. I can only imagine the weight of the non-caged versions getting very light! As long as they maintain the durability, then for me, the combination of light (enough!) and usefulness means Time still win every time. I don’t want, or need, to be faffing around doing bearing changes and/or maintenance….!

AlexSimon

Only time will tell with this one. No chance of backing it blind on kickstarter for me.
    Plus, any change in pedal system requires 2 pairs of cleats and 3 sets of pedals for me which is a fair old investment when you move away from the cheapest shimano/eggbeaters

Del

those times are new on me. mind you, i’ve not needed to look at pedals since i ditched the EB shit for times. 😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Indeed. I can only imagine the weight of the non-caged versions getting very light! As long as they maintain the durability, then for me, the combination of light (enough!) and usefulness means Time still win every time

Maybe, but my problem with the really light times has been the lack of support. I found the XS pedals didn’t support the shoe enough – the side sections of the XCs were much better.

The XS’s go floppy on the bushings as well in a way the XCs don’t seem to. Presume the light version are the http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/time-atac-xc8-carbon-pedals/rp-prod95072 range which just prove a big lump of plastic doesn’t weight much.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘move over eggbeater- minimalist pedal.’ is closed to new replies.