Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Move from HT to FS. Which Bike?
  • mtb_rob
    Free Member

I have been a hardtail diehard for the last many years, finding all full suspension bikes bouncy and squidgy on any ascent and a bit loose on the way back down.

A little while back however I went for a spin on a mates Giant Anthem X1 which was set up beautifully and rode like a dream, all the benefits of extra travel and smoothness over the rough stuff with none of the dissapointments in climbing/acceleration power. I was so taken with it that I have been looking for a decent 2nd hand one in my size and planning to sell my much loved HT.

Right so then I find one, perfect size and the Anthem X1 I wanted so I get in touch and plan to go this wkend to collect it. Sorted, sweet I would finally have me a FS bike that rode trails properly.

Then this morning I went out for a ride with some of the local boys and one of them was sporting an Orange 5 which I had a go on. Wow! that bike is phenomenal. More planted than I thought was possible and tracked the ground soo closely with every hole and root. It went exactly where I wanted and the feedback that it gives you as a rider I have only experienced on top end HT's over the smoothest singletrack. Sensational.

So basically this leaves me in a bit of a quandry which I would like a little advice on please. I have bailed out of buying the Giant as I think quite possibly the Orange is far better. I would however need to ride them on the same day as I remember back when I tried the Giant I was as exhilerated as I feel now. Is their other bikes too that I am missing and should try and which is the best in your opinion of these?

I ride relatively aggressively and enjoy roughish trail riding as well as the odd bit of singletrack. I enjoy climbing lots although the descent is where the fun really kicks in. I am trying to find a smooth yet powerful ride. Any help or comments appreciated
    Cheers

u02sgb
    Free Member

Get out on a demo day. You're looking at two completely different FS bikes there so you need to try a few back to back. As a disclaimer, I've recently bought an Anthem after a couple of years of swithering over FS. I think I've done 5 or 6 demo days now and it's a great opportunity to try lots of different bikes to see what you like. It'll be the Anthem if you like your hardtails but want a bit more comfort!

Stu.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You may find the difference is due to forks, shocks and set-up as much as suss designs.

There are lots of good designs around and few dogs. Just test ride before you buy. You can punish yourself over "bike A felt 10% better over small bumps" etc but a lot of it is in the mind IMO.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I went from an old rockhopper (A1 comp FS – 1998) to as Stumpy 2004 FSR Comp – was great apart from the bearings – I'd prob go from your HT to an XC FS – think you'll enjoy it more with less travel? prob light weight XC FS with 120mm travel?

geetee1972
    Free Member

A demo day would be one (perfectly legit) way of choosing. If you have the patience!

The other would be just to buy the Orange as it sounds like you preferred that one over he Anthem. There is an argument for not worrying too much about which bike and being more worried about the size. As Cynic-Al said (again in a very non cynical way. That's the second time I've noticed this) most bikes are pretty dialled these days n terms of design; you have to try really hard to buy a dog and you'll almost always end up feeling entirely at home on the bike after a few months.

The sizing though is crucial IMO. I wonder whether a lot of people are buying bikes that are either too small for them or smaller than they need to be. The difference between a medium and a large could be an inch in the wheelbase and that's going to change how the bike feels quite a bit.

Finally, looking over the Anthem and the Five, they are quite different bikes and the way you've described them is exactly the difference you should feel. The Anthem is more of an XC bike whereas the Five is a sort of 'all round trail god and can be pressed into DH work if you're talented' kind of bike. Check out the vids of Rowan Sorrell riding Gawton DH on his Five! That would make the Five more planted and better suited to more aggressive styles of riding.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Exactly what geetee said

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Just gone from a ti456 to an Orange 5 and I must admit clicked with it straight away- it just feels right for me- tbh totally agree with the sizing comments as the 456 never felt 'quite right'.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

I've just gone from an Orange G3 which I'd built and it felt perfect, really quick, responsive handling to a Titus Motolite, I've not quite got the set up right but I think you can get the same feel with a good lightweight wheelset and the suspension set up correctly.

mtb_rob
    Free Member

Cheers for all the responses.

What I'm getting first and foremost is that sizing and suspension setup are as, if not more, important than the frame. With that in mind, looking at frames;

I'd prob go from your HT to an XC FS

I think this is what I am looking for really. I do like to ride more than just play if I'm honest, although I might like to think I'll be doing tailwhips over 10ft tabletops in the near future, I WONT. So maybe I've done a full circle and am back where I started. If I were to take u02sgb's advice and hit up a demo day which other bikes fit into this category of XC FS that will be worth me trying.

So far I have the

Giant Anthem X1

sambob
    Free Member

scott spark
    santa cruz superlight or blur xc
    specialized epic
    orange st4(sort of)
    Lapierre x-control
    kona heihei
    commencal super 4
    Giant trance
    these are just a small number of them, you have massive choice in the section you are looking at.

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

orange five…end of!

Clink

If you are demoing try a 29er hardtail as well; might be a half-way-house bewteen your current hardtail and fs xc. Sounds like you needs a SC Tallboy though! 😀

sam-r
    Free Member

halfway house? Dirt review of the ST4

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Move from HT to FS. Which Bike?’ is closed to new replies.