• This topic has 51 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • "Move aside I'm doing a sportive" Rant
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That would be a breakaway not a peloton.

😆

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s bloody terrible round here from as soon as the snow goes until mid summer.
    The weekend after the snow goes we start getting swarms of people riding around in blobs. All over the road, random wiggles, speed changes and so on. As time goes by they all buy their new bikes. All aeroed to f××× (to save a claimed 1 second per 10 km at 50kph), they all seem to have coaches and 5 training sessions a week. Then the Vattern Rundan happens at midsummer They all walk bandy legged for a week and brag about their sub 12 time (11:59:59.99). And the fact that they raised about 5 quid for charity.

Them it all goes quite again. Empty roads and almost endless top end carbon wunderbikes for sale with 70mm stems, 80mm of spacers and a 10″ wide comfort saddle……..

TBH if I’d spent that much time and money on kit and training (some people i know have spent near enough 8 thousand quid all told), then paid near enough £150 to do the event (which except for riding through the sunrise is as dull as dishwater) I’d make damn sure i could get round in a shit load less than 12 hours.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bah +12 has extra value for money.

wilburt
    Free Member

I just dont get it.

So post the event and name the riders, they only annoyed you, its not a hanging offence.

I know its sometimes unavoidable but if you know theres a sportive on it best to avoid small roads in the opposite direction a group will quite happily travel at 40kmh not racing just getting on. I’m sure they’ll have been on full alert for traffic.

edit: ghosty ups the rant standards.

scaredypants

is this the 5 minute troll or the full half hour ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

is this the 5 minute troll or the full half hour ?

I’ve told you already.

whitestone
    Free Member

a group will quite happily travel at 40kmh not racing just getting on.

Until I caught the back markers up on the sportive yesterday I was doing 35kmh along the flatter section on my own and that was trying not to raise a sweat in the heat. A group working together will zip along without any trouble whatsoever. Given that the OP says they were going downhill …

+1 to naming the event.

marrv
    Free Member

Going to get in touch with organisers and suggest they stick some marshals on there next time or something. As mentioned. This kind of stuff can spoil it for future events. And we don’t want folk getting hurt. I will not name the event on here though as it is not a good idea. I am going to have squiz at what’s on next time I head out. At least going in same direction will save neck ache from all the nodding and waving.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good job I was not in a car. They would have all rode into the front of it and smashed themselves to bits.

Indeed this is what I suspected

philxx1975
    Free Member

Racing on public roads is illegal no?

kcr
    Free Member

Racing on public roads is illegal no?

No, is not illegal. However you do have to satisfy various requirements including risk assessment, marshalling, lead cars, insurance, etc and organisers usually liaise with the police and local authorities.
    Sportives avoid dealing with all this stuff by declaring they are not races…

TiRed

I hope it’s not illegal. As I do it most weekends throughout the season.

I’ve passed loads of riders caught up in road races. We always warn and give them plenty of space. Not caught a sportive “race” yet. Road races are normally 45 kmh or more. Does that get me a gold? (rather than 39th and midpack in a poor excuse for a sprint?).

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘"Move aside I'm doing a sportive" Rant’ is closed to new replies.