• This topic has 51 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • "Move aside I'm doing a sportive" Rant
  • marrv
    Free Member

Had a lovely early pedal on Sunday morning. Coming back home up some nice little back roads. Big smile, suns out and some hearty good mornings to other early risers.
    Just twiddling up a nice steep and tight twisty climb. And very nearly got taken out by a out of control peloton coming down at stoopid speed screaming at me to move. I suppose they had been caught out by the hill and it was good that they warned me, though I could not get any further over. It was one of those “this is it” moments for me. Close.
    It was such a nice day the incident was pretty much forgotten about.
    But I got a good look at it from the other side of the lycra and it made me sad.

Tiger6791

2/10

Mister-P
    Free Member

I came here expecting a RaNt!!!

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Amateur

I always Strava my rides so I can use the Flyby facility to see who’s annoyed me and then visit them with a set of Bombers at my leisure

Failing that leave them a passive aggressive comment when they post it up – which as they’re “racing” in their sportive theyre bound to

Probably……………

bruneep

2/10

Very generous I’d take that OP if I was you.

I’d score you more harshly.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Poor effort .. No random capitals, swear filter avoidance, good spelling and punctuation. Wouldn’t read again.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

That came out more of whine really didn’t it?

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Well, if you will ride on the Criterium du Dauphine course…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was aggravated yesterday too.

Minding my own business going up a climb, a lady takes my picture. Puzzled I look at her and she says that there is a sportive coming through later in the day, and its a ‘practice’ shot.

Bloody sportives.

RustySpanner

I have a top with ‘Cock off, Gelboy’ on the back for just such occasions.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Rather than ‘screaming at you to move’ which I doubt was it not more likely that they were warning you of more riders to come?

And how did you not see them coming, did they hurtle round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road?

Which sportive was this?

marrv
    Free Member

I suppose I am too nice to rant properly.
    Hi Gary I don’t want to name the event. There were tons of people riding just normal. I was unlucky to meet a mad group. Who were at least 8 riders filling the whole road wobble braking on a blind bend. Just nob head “gel boys” I suppose. And I did Strava it, and they popped up, so I know who they are and all that.

Can I change this from a rant to a meh. Or is it too late?

whitestone
    Free Member

Yesterday I was sat at the back of a sportive tootling along sunning myself when a group of riders flew past and obviously not associated with the event. How DARE they!!! Don’t they know good money has been exchanged to use these roads?

neilthewheel

I was out enjoying myself and some other people enjoyed themselves nearby. Bloody other people.

slowoldman

Who were at least 8 riders filling the whole road

That would be a breakaway not a peloton.

jonba
    Free Member

We don’t have pelotons in this country. It is “the bunch”. 😉

orangespyderman

I was out enjoying myself and some other people enjoyed themselves nearby. Bloody other people.

😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I reckon it was a variation of this.

http://www.lepetitdepart.co.uk/index2.html

slowoldman

We don’t have pelotons in this country. It is “the bunch”.

You know those diagonal lines that form in cross winds? What do we have to call those now?

soobalias
    Free Member

^ is it chevrons?

LeeW

slowoldman – Member

We don’t have pelotons in this country. It is “the bunch”.

You know those diagonal lines that form in cross winds? What do we have to call those now?

A skein.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

bloomin’ French, don’t even have a word for entrepreneur (I may have written this before so sorry for the deja vu)!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Pity you weren’t going up the hill in a big SUV then the abuse could reall begin

trail_rat
    Free Member

would they have shouted the same at a car?

if you want to race ffs enter a race. the outriders will keep you safe – as will the race rules as the marshalls will have you disqualified if you consistantly cross the white line…..

13thfloormonk

A skein

Like it! 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

Is that an open road sportive for 30 quid?

marrv
    Free Member

Good job I was not in a car. They would have all rode into the front of it and smashed themselves to bits.
    I did a sportive a few weeks back and it had a few technical hills in it. they had put marshals on them too make sure nobody threw them selves at the scenery and worked a treat.

Maybe these guys need to go race and get it all out of there system. It’s a fun event and there is nothing to prove. Why take your brain out when riding a Sportive?
    I just don’t get it.

whitestone
    Free Member

Is that an open road sportive for 30 quid?

You could also pay £45 for an open trail sportive: https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.php?event_id=2460

Just to avoid any arguments about favouritism, I’ve done both.

medoramas
    Free Member

Minding my own business going up a climb, a lady takes my picture. Puzzled I look at her and she says that there is a sportive coming through later in the day, and its a ‘practice’ shot.

Hey! If it was some roadies sportive you can now probably buy a jpg file for about £15!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I was out last week on the tripster and emerged from a tunnel at slow speed under the M3 (that I had coasted through with Hope hubs in full notification buzz mode) to see a horse in front of me by about 30 yards cantering down the furrowed slope towards me.

I pulled over to the side as the middle aged woman riding it tried to slow it down (she was on the edge of control – I could tell from the way her breasts were bouncing around under her t-shirt…), and then she had the gall to say “that was close”.

I let it go as it was a nice day.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Boo TurnerGuy!

I logged in to give you 8/10 as I chuckled out loud reading your post and you go and delete it…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

It’s too traumatic thinking about those old breasts bouncing around 🙁

put it back though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not a patch on a small group thinking they were forming a breakaway / steaming through the pack on the last (road) sportive I did, they came up on the right, nudging the white line shouting rider as they barreled past looking like rite knobs.

The course then entered one of the many unpaved sections, and to everyone’s delight the same 3 riders were at the side of the road fixing punctures :mrgreen:

ampthill

Good job I was not in a car. They would have all rode into the front of it and smashed themselves to bits.

I think you should tell the event organiser, if it was anything like that bad. It puts the whole thing in jeopardy if people behave like that. There will be people itching to ban things like sportifs and and accident caused by reckless cycling would be a perfect excuse

slackboy

I found myself cycling against the flow towards the end of the Le Petit Depart yesterday. It was fine, people were friendly. Got a bit tired saying “afternoon” every 30 seconds.

I stopped to give one of the riders my spare gel – he looked like he needed it more than me.

BadlyWiredDog

I bumped into – almost literally – the Peak Epic yesterday going the wrong way up and down some of my favourite local back lanes. They were mostly fine to be honest, though quite a lot of them seemed focussed and a little miserable or maybe just focussed on being miserable. It was hot and I guess they were tired.

I found myself wondering if there should be a central sportive register where you could check whether your local area was about to be over-run by a mass phalanx of riders.

I don’t have anything against sportives, I’ve done the Whitton and a few others, but it’d be nice to be able to avoid them more easily. Some of the riding scares me.

peekay

A good rule of thumb to know is there is a Sportive on the roads round Box Hill is if the day begins with an S then it is likely that there is one.

Usually fine, but one event has decided spray painted route marks on to the road across most of Surrey. Often very close to the ones from last year that have still not worn off.

Come the end of Summer some road signs are decorated with several abandoned route marker signs.

I like seeing people out enjoying themselves and don’t object to them using public roads to do so. Its just the graffiti and litter by the organisers that I find unnecessary.

boblo
    Free Member

That’ll be an ‘enchilada’ I believe…

BTW, up there’s ^ a blatant rip off of Bush’s French/entrepreneur comment – made in all seriousness. Gotta give him his (moronic) dues (-:

Cletus

That kind of behaviour made me (mainly) switch from sportives to audaxes. Audaxers seem to be more chilled out and friendly and cake >>> energy gels 😀

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

boblo – Member

BTW, up there’s ^ a blatant rip off of Bush’s French/entrepreneur comment – made in all seriousness. Gotta give him his (moronic) dues (-:

yup, I was channeling Bush as I typed it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘"Move aside I'm doing a sportive" Rant’ is closed to new replies.