Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Mountian Biking Stirling – Ben Cleuch, Ben Law, general Ochil Hills
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Morning All,

I often work in Stirling and was looking for advice on routes to ride. I have had a general explore around up to Dumyat etc but it appears the OS map does not show half the tracks available.

Can anyone give some guidance on good routes in the Ochil hills or any GPX files i can use in conjunction with an OS map?

Thanks

StirlingCrispin

Should really update all of this – but the grid refs are still correct:
    http://www.crispinbennett.freedomnames.co.uk/OffRoad.htm

BoardinBob

I did a pretty big loop in the Ochils a couple of weeks ago. 21 miles and 3,500ft of climbing. Bit of hike-a-bike in a couple of sections but some brillian singletrack to finish down through Mill Glen.

http://www.strava.com/activities/82369366

organic355
    Free Member

or if you want a quick blast round a small trail centre, carron valley is very close.

nick1962
    Free Member

or if you want a quick blast round a small trail centre, carron valley is very close.

Really.

swiss01
    Free Member

if you’re passing the bike shop in alva they, i believe, will sort you out with some route advice

organic355
    Free Member

Really.

I don’t get it.

nick1962
    Free Member

Lost in the internet ether.
    Say the word really in a diapproving sort of “tut,tut” way.
    Or say it in an incredulous “can you be serious” way.
    Should have just put one of these 😯

kevin1911

I still don’t get it? Why would you disapprove of someone suggesting to someone else where they might like to ride their bike?

To the OP – there are some good trails around Plean country park, just south of Stirling. Just head to the car park and follow your wheel. Lots of little tracks heading off the main paths.

You could also drop in on one of the Stirling Bike Club rides too.

legend
    Free Member

I believe the point he’s trying to make is that with loads of great riding all around the Stirling area, why would you choose to go to Carron Valley?

bullit
    Free Member

A great wee loop in Ochils is starting from the Woodland Park in Alva. Take the path up through woods towards Alva Glen , but take the right fork at top of switchbacks and the land rover track up to where it peters out. Take the (rather faint) moorland trail there north east to Ben Buck and then across to Ben Cleuch summit. Follow it over to Andrew Gannel and descend down the gully here into Tillicoultry. Its a nice loop, with a good long climb (all rideable) and takes about 1.5 hours. the reward for the climb is a sweet descent down off Andrew Gannel Hill and into Tillicoultry.

nick1962
    Free Member

legend

You are correct,almost.Even if there was cr*p riding around Stirling why would you go to Carron Valley 😉 I shall be more direct in future.
    Only 2 miles to Cambusbarron,the North third Resovoir loop is a classic with lots of freeridey stuff in the woods and around the quarry too if that’s your thing.
    There is great riding around Dumyat,Mine wood and the Uni too plus all the other stuff mentioned.
    Trailscotland may help you out with routes,other suggestions and possibly a local guide, though getting one to take you to Carron Valley may be problematic 🙂

888trojan888
    Free Member

Cheers chaps much apprieciated.

😀

coogan
    Free Member

Dumyat, one of my favs.

888trojan888
    Free Member

Boardingbob – could you download the GPX route form Strava and email it to me?

Thanks

BoardinBob

Will do

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Mountian Biking Stirling – Ben Cleuch, Ben Law, general Ochil Hills’ is closed to new replies.