• This topic has 50 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by xcgb.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Mountaineering/Adventure books recommendations please
  • athgray
    Free Member

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson is worth a read.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

“Climb” and “Epic” both by Clint Willis

“Into Thin Air” by John Krakaur

Anything by Reinhold Messner- probably the best mountaineer who’s ever lived.

TinMan
    Free Member

If you’re going to read this, then also read “The Climb” by Anatoli Boukreev – the other side of the story

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I read Fearless on Everest – about Sandy Irvine and The Wildest Dream – about George Mallory, back to back. Both worth reading if you’re interested in that period of mountaineering and that famous expedition.

lovebadger
    Free Member

The last grain race by Eric Newby is a lovely read and is cheap as chips to buy secondhand on Amazon.

My Vertical World: Climbing the 8000-Metre Peaks by Jerzy Kukuczka is a great book but not easy to get hold of because it’s out of print. What an awesome climber and grafted for everything he got. Maybe someone on the forum has a copy you can have…

Totem pole by Paul Pritchard and Life And Limb: A true story of tragedy and survival by Jamie Andrew are a bit different from the usual books but great reads.

Garry_Lager

Can anyone recommend Shining mountain by Boardman / Tasker? Been meaning to get it for a while as it sounds like a landmark ascent, but no idea what it would be like as a read.

riatsala
    Free Member

Can’t believe no-one’s mentioned Tom Patey: One Man’s Mountains – The good bits are truly excellent and more than outweigh the slightly dodgier bits!

stevomcd
    Free Member

ElShalimo – got to disagree with you there. I really enjoy Joe Simpson’s writing. He’s won several writing awards too, so I’m not the only one!

Kevevs
    Free Member

The Mountains of Snowdonia. H.R.C.Carr & G.A.Lister first publsished 1925 2nd print 1948. If you like North Wales, this is the good shit.. fascinating book, not adventury adrenaliny stuff, just a solid gold book encompassing everything about early mountain exploration in North Wales. and geology and etymology of the places etc. If you can find it. It quotes some of the earliest ever written stuff re. climbing about this locality. It’s a proper fascinating book… I do reccommend 😀

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You have to get it second hand off of Amazon now (for pennies) , but Chris Bonington did a coffee table book called ‘Quest for Adventure’.

xcgb
    Free Member

If you’re going to read this, then also read “The Climb” by Anatoli Boukreev – the other side of the story

+1 Still not sure who’s version i believe though, with so much altitude confusion!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Mountaineering/Adventure books recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.