Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mountainbike Films
  • sailor74
    Free Member

Looks like there are a few 2010 season films coming out soon, I’m sure most people have seen the trailers, am I in the minority here, or does anyone else end up being massively disappointed when you buy a film to then find out its 40mins of people just riding bikes to music?

Follow me was a huge disappointment, the footage was very well shot but it wasnt a film. The internet is full vids of people riding bikes with some crap thrash metal soundtrack mixed extra loud, its nothing new, shouldnt film makers be trying to tell a story?

There has been a couple of good mtb ‘films’ in my opinion, such as Freedom Riders, Klunkers and First, but they are well in the minority compared to the forgettable repetitive tat thats usually put out, downhill, some dirt jumping to fill the middle, then some off piste DH/FR to finish off.

I wish someone would make the effort to produce an intelligent documentary style film, much in the same vain as the first few minutes of the Peaty section of Seasons. I would like to be engaged when watching these films, or if thats too much to ask can we have some better music, so that at least its worth listening to whilst im off doing something else.

jimjam
    Free Member

You’re clearly an expert. I suggest you go and make one. How hard can it be.

sailor74
    Free Member

err how does any of that point to me being an expert? This is the trouble with forums, you post a question to gauge opinion and folks come back with useless comments. The only thing I am an expert on is what I like, hence the post.

If the consensus is for music vids though then maybe I will go make one, everyone else seems to be.

ahwiles
    Free Member

sailor – i agree with you.

(but some of scenes from NWD10 ‘dust and bones’ are amazing – Brandon semuk’s bit for example – holy tits!)

jimjam
    Free Member

sailor74

err how does any of that point to me being an expert?

You caught me there, I was being facetious. You don’t really come across as an expert, more an arm chair critic.

sailor74
    Free Member

You don’t really come across as an expert, more an arm chair critic.

Arent we all when it comes to movies?

sailor74
    Free Member

ahwiles

Yea I agree there are some good bits in all the films, I just think it would be more interesting if they talked to the riders, got their thoughts on some of the more insane stuff prior to giving it a try, maybe chatting as they are building jumps, listening to how they may have tweaked their bikes for a given track etc etc.

Sanny
    Free Member

As if by magic, another bike film appears to answer your request. 😆

Lifecycles is very much themed around the life of a bicycle from creation to ultimate destruction. It’s been filmed in HD and 5.1 surround sound with the whole premise of it being that it will be shown in cinema. No constant stream of thrash metal either! There’s a news item about it on the front page together with a trailer link. Would be interested to know what you think once you see it? From what I’ve seen of it so far, it’s worthy of the praise its been getting. I’m holding off watching it in full as I want to enjoy it on the big screen for myself!

As for Seasons, I’m suprised you thought only the Peaty section was documentary style as the point of the film and the central narrative thread was the same with the rest of the riders throughout the film. 😀

Ultimately, film makers make the films they want to make which is at least in part driven by what the public want and are willing to pay for. I suspect there is probably a point at which you can have too much of a good thing. I’d struggle to watch an hour and a half of riding if there wasn’t a strong narrative thread to it. Of the documentray style ones I’ve seen, I’ve always liked the stuff that Clay Porter does as well as the likes of Joe Kid on a Stingray. Home is another good example as it follows Ruaraidh Cunningham in his World Championship winning season.

Cheers

Sanny

sailor74
    Free Member

Sanny
    thanks for the tip i will check it out. I did like Seasons and only mentioned the Peaty section as I found it the most interesting, but as you quite rightly say it was all a documentary style film.
    I had forgotten about Home, I will retrospectively add it to my ‘good films’ list. 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Apart from The Collective every MTB film I’ve seen bores me to death.

ononeorange

I know a lot didn’t like it – but hey, good art should result in strong opinions – but I really enjoyed Clorophilla (sp?), shot very well in my opinion by some Italian amateurs. They really picked up well on the natural side of things, and were innovative in their use of music and the sounds of the bike.

Very much not just some jump tricks set to heavy metal.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mountainbike Films’ is closed to new replies.