Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Mountain of Hell – Anyone done it?
  • pinetree
    Free Member

Signed up to this on a bit of a whim, as a mate had a spare space in the apartment they rented, and am really looking forward to it!
    I did the Mega a few years ago and had a great time, so looking forward to seeing what this has to offer!

Anyone else here done it? Got any advice?

Another question – Is a full-face helmet mandatory? I know it is/was at the Mega, but with the MoH website being typically French (ie. crap) I cannot find anything pertaining to the rules!

SirHC

Ridden the lower half of the track, really good fun, although some of the off camber roll ins will be a handful in the wet after a load of people have been through them.

Would recommend a full face helmet, the snow section is fast, as is the rest of the track.

Marko

Yes . . .

Loads more fun than the Mega (I’ve done both)
    Qualifier just determines your place on the grid, so you’ve a chance to win the main race 😆
    Qualifier was just carved out of the mountain for the event when we did it, so all very fresh. The last 200 metres was uphill and killed me.
    Stupid early start to get the lift on race day – 5am or something.

Your best chance to move up the order is on the piste at the very start. Next real chance is the transition before you plunge down a black into town. another chance to move up a few places when you cross the town.

You get to ride the footpath down to Venosc (usually out of bounds) which is fantastic – so many hairpins you’ll get dizzy.

Full face
    Body armour
    Med cert or full race licence required.
    All are mandatory.

Plenty of clips on You tube.
    Hth
    Marko

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

The most fun you will ever have on your bike!!!! Like all of the above say. Full face,back protector…..and make sure your brakes are in good working order.lol.

pinetree
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’d assumed a back protector was necessary. In this case I’d be using an evoc Rucksack with built-in protector. Assuming that’s fine..?

Bit miffed I’m gonna have to buy a new FF helmet. It’s been years since I’ve used one, and will probably be another 5 years til I have to use one again! Oh well… it’s cheaper than a new set of teeth.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

French race safety laws are a bit vague to say the least…..you could tape a piece of cardboard to your back and you will pass.lol….better safe than sorry. I had a guy decide he wasn’t doing a ladder drop right in front of me so I had to take evasive action and make my own landing area in some rocks….glad I had the back protector on. 😆

chrisedwards
    Free Member

I am too scared of this ride. You can get hurt dangerously. But ya it can be more fun if you will do and complete it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Mountain of Hell – Anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.