Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem soloist questions…
  • stinkingdylan
    Free Member

I was intending to do MM24 as a pair, but due to circumstances I’m now solo.

Looking forward to it, but as I’ve not done this before, I’m planning on having short snack/power naps every so often.

For those that have done it before;
    The special soloists camp, is this near the start/finish to make it easier to get to your tent?
    Do you take your bike into your tent during a break, or is there a rack or something?
    I’ve heard people setting up a pit stop table, is this track side or next to the tent?
    Finally, is there a feed station setup, or do you just provide your own food in the tent?

jonny-m
    Free Member

Hi there,

1) can be about 1 – 400 m away from start area, depending on how early you get there.
    2) dump the bike down. Next to your tent.
    3) table set up either track side or next to your tent or both depending one here you get set up.
    If your lucky and early you’ll get to pitch your tent right next to the track so best of both worlds.
    4) Provide your own food in the tent!

Hope that answers your questions

jonny-m
    Free Member

Oh and don’t do the power naps. They’ll turn into full on sleeps and you talk your self out of going out for another’s of.
    It’s only 24hours…. One day…..

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Thanks, much appreciated!

I’m planning on taking 1 hour after every 3 hours of cycling, to eat, stretch and change kit/bottles, with a possible 2 hours between 11 and 1. But, I’ll see how it goes I suppose.

This year is intended as a test more than anything… =D

Kryton57

Oh and don’t do the power naps. They’ll turn into full on sleeps and you talk your self out of going out for another’s of.
    It’s only 24hours…. One day…..

+1

I fell asleep for 3 hours and still came 16th Vet, if only I hadn’t…

dazh

If you want a trackside spot, get there early Friday. Provide your own food/drink. Take a lock, bikes get nicked every year by the local scally scum. As for getting through it, my own preference is to stay on the bike, you’ll be surprised how much time you lose to small breaks. Getting going after a long break is very hard, possibly best to keep going as long as you can. Pay close attention to contact points like hands, feet and especially your arse (I try to stand up out of the saddle where possible to reduce chafing). Don’t do what I did last year and eat a big meal of pasta after bonking in the middle of the night, like me you might spend the next 4 hours throwing it back up. and go easy on the caffeine, or you’ll be up and down like a raver on speed.

simonjj
    Free Member

stinkingdylan – I’m there again this year ( rude not to as I only live 2 miles down the road) but in a 10 man team this year to enjoy a bit more of the atmosphere between rides, you’re more than welcome to pitch up near us and someone can keep an eye on your bike / kit when you have a break.
    PM me for my number if it’s of interest.
    Simon

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m doing my 2nd this year, supported this time. The first one was unsupported and I just set up bottles etc on a table next to the track and kept food in the boot of my car which I opened when I needed to.

Had to have an overnight break due to being very ill 7 weeks prior and basically being cream crackered, but other than that it was just a bottle change over every lap.

Just ride at your own pace, don’t try and race people as you’ll burn out and don’t be worried about walking some of the climbs, plenty of people on teams do.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

Thanks guys, and cheers for the offer Simon.
    There are a few teams from work entering, so I have the option of pitching with them or in the solo section.
    I’ve decided to travel up on Saturday morning in order to get a good night sleep in a proper bed…

teamslug
    Free Member

I would say don’t do an hour off the bike. I solo’d for first time 2 years ago and though I did 16 laps o was averaging an hour per lap. Where the hell did 8 hours go. I had a nap for 3 hours but that’s 5 hours of not sleeping but not riding. Get all your food ready before you go out. Lay it out in some kind of order. Sleep deprivation can play great tricks on you. Stay up and enjoy the hallucinations!!.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem soloist questions…’ is closed to new replies.