Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem – First Timer Advice
  • letmetalktomark

Hey All,

As above.

Doing MM for the first time as part of a 4 person team riding retro 🙄 😆

I’m comfortable about the layout of the event etc but am struggling on sorting out a list of what I need to take …. 😕

Can you help me draw up a list?

Cheers,

MArk 😀

mocha
    Free Member

take all your biking clothes

spare brake pads

loads of food

and mud tyres of course!

trickydisco
    Free Member

mud tyres!

conti 1.5’s are my choice but i don’t think they make them anymore

Harry_the_Spider

Painkillers for back ache.

A deck chair.

Warm coat.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Go slow, slower than you think and then take 10% off that speed.

The one year I did the greatest number of laps in was when I was at my unfittest and under no illusions of being a speed demon – that year taught me a lot…..

crazy-legs

I’m comfortable about the layout of the event etc but am struggling on sorting out a list of what I need to take ….

Every single piece of cycling and camping kit you own. Every spare part that could conceivably break or wear out. Spare bike if you have one. All your lights and batteries. If you can borrow more sets, do so.
    Oh and a sense of humour. Make sure you pack that.

It also helps if you have a vague sense of layout when you pack. You may think it’s anal having shorts in one bag, tops in another, lights somewhere else but when you’re rummaging round in the back of a car at 3am in the rain, you’ll be glad you put them in order!

njee20
    Free Member

Every single piece of cycling and camping kit you own. Every spare part that could conceivably break or wear out. Spare bike if you have one. All your lights and batteries. If you can borrow more sets, do so.
    Oh and a sense of humour. Make sure you pack that.

It also helps if you have a vague sense of layout when you pack. You may think it’s anal having shorts in one bag, tops in another, lights somewhere else but when you’re rummaging round in the back of a car at 3am in the rain, you’ll be glad you put them in order!

+1

If in doubt, take it.

This is my packing list for marathons and what I’ll be taking to Erlestoke this weekend..

Bike
    Spare bike
    Spare wheels
    Spare chain
    Spare pedals
    Spare cables
    Brake pads
    Inner tubes
    CO2 cartridges & adapter
    Torq powder
    Gels
    Flapjacks
    Ibuprofen tablets
    Ibuprofen gel
    Lights
    Batteries
    Spare light mounting strap.
    Jacket
    Gilet
    Chain lube
    GPS & HRM
    Helmet
    Gloves & spares
    Shorts & spares
    Jersey & spares
    Socks & spares
    Shoes & spares
    Glasses & spares
    Chain tool
    Water
    Water bottles
    Cashew nuts
    Fruit jellies
    Malt loaf & grease
    Sleeping bag
    Mat
    Fruit jellies
    Malt loaf
    Food
    Cable ties
    Track pump

Haze

Tequila, walking boots (weather depending)

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

flag n pole with flashing light on top

letmetalktomark

Cheers guys.

Glad I asked this ow and not the week of the event …….

Now where did I put that credit card!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

ohhh and a pair of snowboarding trousers (TK Maxx), waterproof, warm and cosy for when your sans bike early hours and late at night! essential!

Gary_C

Beer
    Beer
    Beer
    Beer
    Beer
    Beer
    Beer
    Beer

HTH

BadlyWiredDog

Go slow, slower than you think and then take 10% off that speed.

You’re kidding. In a team you should be flat out on every lap, you have several hours to recover. Soloing’s different, but in a team, va va vooom…

Also, take a white board. When you come in off a lap, write down the time you got back next to your name. That way the guy out next knows when the current rider actually set off and can work out when he/she needs to be at the changeover.

Think about how you’re going to cope with night laps. One option is to run double laps overnight, but it’s slower, what we usually do is split into two pairs and run ABAB then CDCD before going back to simple ABCD in the morning. Means you get a much long break and a chanve to get your head down for a couple of hours.

Chocolate trifle ftw.

peachos
    Free Member

Also, take a white board. When you come in off a lap, write down the time you got back next to your name. That way the guy out next knows when the current rider actually set off and can work out when he/she needs to be at the changeover

+1 stopwatch can also be of use – exchange and reset it at each handover. depends how serious you want to take it though!

letmetalktomark

Gary_C – Member

Beer Cider
    Beer Cider
    Beer Cider
    Beer Cider
    Beer Cider
    Beer Cider
    Beer Cider
    Beer Cider

HTH

Fixed that for you 😉

letmetalktomark

Hmmm.

Sounds a bit serious all this talk of whiteboards & stopwatches!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Also, take a white board. When you come in off a lap, write down the time you got back next to your name. That way the guy out next knows when the current rider actually set off and can work out when he/she needs to be at the changeover

+1

We had this for SITS.. Means you don’t freeze your ass off for hours in the middle of the night waiting for your mate to get in..

LS
    Free Member

Also, take a white board. When you come in off a lap, write down the time you got back next to your name. That way the guy out next knows when the current rider actually set off and can work out when he/she needs to be at the changeover.

Definitely. Missed changeovers cause a lot of grief.
    Take a pencil and paper as backup for when the whiteboard gets too wet to write on 😀

crazy-legs

Think about how you’re going to cope with night laps. One option is to run double laps overnight, but it’s slower, what we usually do is split into two pairs and run ABAB then CDCD before going back to simple ABCD in the morning. Means you get a much long break and a chanve to get your head down for a couple of hours.

That’s what we settled on after a bit of experimentation. Worked really well and all 4 of us in the team were very closely matched in terms of lap times so it made it easy to keep track of. Except that 3 out of the 4 of us were called James which confused our poor pit bitch. “Go and wake James” “Which one?”
    😉

Make sure the team knows what the score is and has agreed to the same goal. If two of you are going for the win and two of you want to sit around and drink beer, there’ll be much complaining.

BadlyWiredDog

Sounds a bit serious all this talk of whiteboards & stopwatches!

Not really, it’s an easy thing to do and just means less confusion and frustration, standing around in the cold at 3am unnecessarily isn’t much fun.

That’s what we settled on after a bit of experimentation. Worked really well and all 4 of us in the team were very closely matched in terms of lap times so it made it easy to keep track of. Except that 3 out of the 4 of us were called James which confused our poor pit bitch. “Go and wake James” “Which one?

Ha, last year I raced with three guys all called ‘Dave’, we had to give them prefixes so we knew which was which. Remarkably it all worked, well, it did for me anyway, but I’m not called Dave…

BadlyWiredDog

So more advice, make sure all your team-mates have different names 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

or just cal;l them all Dave and add a prefix

aDave – fast rider
    bDave – fat rider
    cDave – slow rider
    dDave – puncture magnet

iDave – diet and fitness guru

crazy-legs

So more advice, make sure all your team-mates have different names

And ideally like the same food. If one is a veggie and the other three want a big meaty pasta, it means cooking 2 lots of food = extra hassle.

The whiteboard thing is just sensible. Every year at MM I’ve seen someone running round the start/finish area shouting then some panic stricken rider explaining why he was late. Biggest cause of friction amongst teams. Keeping track of times means riders aren’t standing round freezing while waiting for their teammate or turning up late to changeover.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Beyond bikes and kit you just need one thing. The catering team. Let them sort the rest 🙂

Ha, last year I raced with three guys all called ‘Dave’, we had to give them prefixes so we knew which was which. Remarkably it all worked, well, it did for me anyway, but I’m not called Dave…

Last year’s Mayhem team was:

James
    James
    James
    Jane
    and me

To avoid confusion I adopted James as my name for the weekend.

singletrackmind

Take a change over coat . Next up wears coat to pit area, swaps with incoming rider who gets a nice warm dry coat to put on .
    Bonty Mud X 1.8 or 2.0
    Earplugs . Last time i did MM some Twunts next to us had a genny to powert a TV ad show MX dvds . I got in at 0400 , 0405 bbbbbbrrrrrrrrr on with genny .
    Maybe 1 ‘Mud’ Bike ,SS with a 32 : 18 and 1.5 mud sharks , at least it should keep working

cakefest
    Free Member

Aaah, just cos you’ve got a whiteboard doesn’t mean someone’s not going to fall asleep and not be at the changeover in time.

But whiteboard is a good idea. And every bit of bike kit you have ordered in a basket, with a big washing bag for all that stinky, manky kit you’re gonna leave in the car after getting home. Personal best for leaving stinky kit in the car was one week. Holy cow, did that thing smell after a week. Thought the car was going to explode!

emac65
    Free Member

Toilet roll,sandals for the showers & torch to check the shower,to make sure no bugger has shat in it….I still have to check public showers before I go in since that night back in 2006……….

Sawyer
    Free Member

Don’t do what I did last year and forget food…

Whiteboard is a good shout too, as well as giving a rough idea of timings for getting to changeovers, it helps to break down the remaining time into likely numbers of laps.

I’m gutted I can’t do it this year, was great last year.

Drillski
    Free Member

second the whiteboard, though they can be a bit small, so instead for teh last few years we bought a piece of the white backed hardboard from B&Q, drew the grid on with permanent markers first, then used whiteboard pens from WHSmiths to add lap times.

Best bit of kit from last year – Rugby Sub Suit, as worn by substitutes on the touch line. Like a quilted boiler suit, waterproof, big enough to wear over you camlepak, and removeable in 10 seconds when you see your buddy coming in from his lap at changeover. Comfy enough and warm enough to sleep in too!
    see subsuits cheap

njee20
    Free Member

Whiteboard is a good shout, with a clock, all you need is:

Last rider in at:
    Rider out:
    ETA:
    Next rider:

Previous lap times aren’t that relevant, so it only needs to be an A3 whiteboard or sommat.

Wouldn’t bother with a stopwatch, not really sure what else that can show you.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Painkillers for back ache!

Good call..

I would opt for the whiteboard/stopwatch, nothing more stressful when you’ve bust out your best lap to get to the change over to find no one there and you get back to camp to find them tucking into a foot long hotdog!!
    If you can get hold of a keen mate to act like camp slave, and do jobs like cook BBQ, turn up at change over with a warm coat, Power wash the bikes off do running repairs… We had one last year and I wouldnt go again without him, Top bloke ))) Its easy promiss all the Beer/cider he can drink oh and free food all weekend )) Job done

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem – First Timer Advice’ is closed to new replies.