• This topic has 38 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem 2012 – Dates?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok, I know this is planning ahead, but does anyone know the dates as just trying to plan holidays.

Ta

5thElefant
    Free Member

Won’t be out yet, but the weekend closest to the 19th of June seems to be the norm.

Houns

Always the weekend closest to the longest day

peter77
    Free Member

Is it at Eastnor? Heard some rumours about going elsewhere.

shanta
    Free Member

Hi

Im thinking of getting a team together for this. Dont really know what to expect and what i should take with me etc any tip would be most welcome.

Ta

jimw
    Free Member

My understanding is that next year, 2012, will be the last at Eastnor, but I have heard this before a few years ago and it carried on, so may not be accurate

shortcut

It should be 23/24 June.

As for what to take – everything for riding and camping!

Dibbs
    Free Member

My guess would be 23rd-24th June, but I could be wrong.

badlydrawnbiker
    Free Member

Check out the website http://www.osmountainmayhem.co.uk/
    It’s 22-24 June.

shanta
    Free Member

Whats the crack as far as teams go? Is there a limit to team numbers and is it the bigger the team the less indvidual laps you do?

jimw
    Free Member

You can enter as a solo rider, as a team of four (same sex), five( four of one gender, one of the other) or 10.
    Depending on how serious you are, solos tend to do between 4 and 20+ laps, most of the non elite teams seem to manage between 12 and 24 laps, so as a four thats about 5 or 6 each, as a ten about 2.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Team of four is the best way IMO

Enough laps to keep you going, but not a solo effort to kill you!

ps. done it as a 4 loads, and a team of 6 (entered as 10 😳 ) once!

postierich
    Free Member

Quite possibly the most dullest over priced over rated mtb event in the calendar! IMHO, not been the same since the fireworks saga.
    If your a newbie go for it!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What was the firework saga?

I assume having to pay thousands for fireworks, which could have been saved off the price of the entry fee? So what happened this last year then?

nick3216
    Free Member

Firework incident was Dave A of this parish being an unfunny arse and being told about it in no uncertain gems by Guy Kesteven. Possibly the inspiration for Daves anti racer rant. very funny to see.

This was a few years ago now. I don’t recall seeing Dave and his bullying, yes bullying not funny, hecklerphone there since. Which is nice.

sc-xc

I remember that. Had kids with us and was not impressed by some of the language used using the loudhailer.

nick3216
    Free Member

I just realised that Daves disappearance from races coincides with his invention of bivvying. In space the wilderness no-one can hear you scream be an arse.

stevemakin

Firework incident had nothing to do with Dave, get your facts right Nick, Biff lit it and my boot was on it to prevent it going into the main campsite, it was a stupid and childish thing to do and Guy was quite right to react that way.

Why don’t you speak to Dave and clear the air of the bad feeling you appear to have towards him ?

nick3216
    Free Member

one word steve

meh

Taff
    Free Member

Want to find out more about how its done ie as a solo, do I have t do it continuously? Can you sleep, feed etc and then go back on the track etc? Where can I find out that kind of stuff?

Taff
    Free Member

Also what are the fees for a solo event? Can’t get any PDF info from the site?

chipps

Taff, here’s a good piece that Rob Dean wrote for Sleepless.
    http://singletrackworld.com/2011/08/rob-deans-top-tips-for-sleepless-in-saddle/
    Soloing, you have to do it continuously if you want to win. If you want to do as many laps as possible, then you take as much time off as you think you need.

squiff
    Free Member

Taff

You can do what you want for example you can do a few laps and than come in for food/sleep there are no set rules. I was talking to someone at MM at couple of years ago who only did 6 laps, i throught that was a bit of a waste. If you are going to do solo I think you need to be hitting double figures for laps. Look on xc racer web site as Ant white does blogs on there and he’s a bit of a legend when it comes to solo riding.

singletrackmatt

one word steve

meh

But you can be arsed to do it on a public forum? Admittedly Nick I’ve known Dave for a decade – but he’s one of the finest generous people I know – What’s the problem?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Want to find out more about how its done ie as a solo, do I have t do it continuously?

You can come in at the end of each lap for as long as you like.

Can you sleep, feed etc and then go back on the track etc?

Yes.

Where can I find out that kind of stuff?

The rules are on the entry form.

Taff
    Free Member

Thanks gents, finally managed to see the rules but it’s not as detailed as I would like. Thanks Chipps, will have a read through that, sounds like just the ticket.

jimmers
    Free Member

I did solo a few years ago and the chap next to me had a plan that he didn’t need lights as when it got dark his wife would pick him up (lived local), sleep in a nice comfortable bed then bring him back in the morning after a nice fry-up and a cup of tea and resume where he left off.

Each to their own and I guess and its what you make of it. Personally I find the mental challenge of not sleeping quite enjoyable but then I am strange.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing the SDWD the month after so would rather do it in one go but under race conditions if I can aviod carying as much stuff as possible then that will be a major preference. I couldn’t take the neire night off though, you may as well just do a 12hour enduro!!

nick3216
    Free Member
    nick3216
    Free Member

@adamandmatt – I’ve done it on another forum that both steve and dave can read.

I’m happy to be corrected on my facts – thatnks to stevd for that. The “meh” was a sinking down to their level. It was a stupid and childish thing to do.

Winding up Dave is just a little game that I find fun. That’s also stupid and childish, but I enjoy it.

alanbill99

I’ve done the UK24h Exposure Solo before and was thinking of doing MM next year instead.

Getting to the point – It’s good to race round an enjoyable course (which UK24h was in Newcastleton) – so Is this a good solo course to race ? Mudfest if it rains ? Is there a better one to race ? Perhaps Nutcracker ? Bontrager ?

All advice appreciated !

pete68
    Free Member

@alanbill99,the Mayhem course isn’t the most fun in the world to be honest.It certainly can get very muddy when wet aswell.Still a great event though just for the size of it and the people who go.I’d say that Bonty 24/12 is a better all round event though,as i much prefer the course.I shall be soloing both next year,providing i get a place at MM.Already entered 24/12.

alanbill99

Thanks pete68

Anyone else got recommendations for solo 24 course?

c_klein87

bontrager 24:12 course was fun, a tough day though, some big climbs

5thElefant
    Free Member

Anyone else got recommendations for solo 24 course?

I did my first solo at SITS this year. Nice and flat with an easy going atmosphere.

Taff
    Free Member

Alanbill – there are some good write up, for example check MEout and then check out Rob Deans blog along with others like Josh Ibbett, Richard Sterry etc and you’ll get some idea of a 24hour event. That’s what I’ve been looking at anyway and it’s made it sound relatively ‘do-able’

alanbill99

I know what it’s like doing a 24 Taff, thanks but that wasn’t the question, more wondering which is the most enjoyable course out there for solo. Any ideas?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Depends what you enjoy. Hilly/flat, technical/easy? The atmosphere?

Taff
    Free Member

😳 SHould read the post properly rather than watch I’m a celebrity!!!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem 2012 – Dates?’ is closed to new replies.