Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mountain Mayhem – 1st camping trip with a 2 year old. What do we need?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In the past I’ve just done 24 hr events by myself. This year Mrs FD and Jnr FD are coming along.

So we have just bought this tent. We didnt want to splash out because it will only be occasional use, and Mrs FD is much more fond of 4 walls!

What other stuff do we need to take for Jnr FD and in general? In particular I think we need some kind of tent light. Whats the best value around the £20-£30 mark?

Any suggestions welcome. Ta

wwaswas

a separate tent for junior, preferably in a different county 😉

we covered the sleeping compartment with blackout material on ours when the kids were young as they didn;t wake at 4am when it got light that way.

zoota

i dont know what light you could use but as for where junior sleeps that would be intersting, if i was taking my jake who is 2 1/2 camping i would if possible take his travel cot as then he would be off the floor and would not be able to wonder off whilst you are a sleep or in another part of the tent Plus haveing his teddys in a familier cot like environment would hopefully help him sleep better.
    This is what i have consider when thinking about camping with him aslo i would gps tag him some how

DezB
    Free Member

£20-£30? Just need an LED light surely?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mrs FD reckons she will sleep in one pod with Jnr FD on a double airbed under a douvet (yes I explained how much space we have in the car) and I will have the pod on the other side 😀

We have a window black out blind which I think we could throw over part of one of the inners, but I am conerned about the amount of light coming through at 4 am!

As to LED lights, yes thats what we want but like anything you can get some good ones and some sh!t ones so was wondering what people had used.

DezB
    Free Member

I used one of those 48 LED round things as a garden light for a few years. About a fiver, did the job.

tomc
    Free Member

We’ve done a fair bit of camping with kids.

We use a wind up lamp like a lantern (£10 from Millets) and put it in the top of the tent. Provides a gentle reassuring light for the nipper that seems to last almost all night.

Two and a bit is prob too old for a travel cot. If junior doesn’t normally sleep in your bed, I’d try and get them to sleep in their own bed in their own bit of the tent, otherwise the novelty of it all will keep waking them up. Get a readybed: (http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=673271011) – they’re also useful when you stay at friends houses.

The nippers are quite sensitive to the cold. Put them in thermal underwear. Then in a big all in one fleecy thing. Then in a snuggle bag. And have a duvet over the top. At least. And, top tip, get a foil survival blanket and put it under the the bottom of whatever bed they are in – only 99p and make a big difference.

Being outside all the time uses up lots of energy. Take LOADS of food (that they like, and will actually eat) with lots of energy in.

Get them a camping chair (only £3 from argos).

Take their wellies. Grass will be wet in the morning even if it doesn’t rain (which it will).

Camping with kids is great. You’ll have a ball.

hels
    Free Member

IME, the campsite at Mountain Mayhem can be a very noisy place at night. If your wee one is prone to waking up and screaming at the smallest noise, you will not be popular… Get well away from the main arena with all the generators and the team riders coming in and out all through the night.

Mantastic
    Free Member

I have a ready bed doing bugger all £15 if you local. Me based in west midlands(nr Worcester). Bit big to post

Muke
    Free Member

Tent tastic…UFO light as reccomended here

big_n_daft
    Free Member

You need a baseball bat to destroy the generator some idiot will insist on running through the night next to your tent

That or a bag of sugar

molgrips
    Free Member

The nippers are quite sensitive to the cold.

Speak for your own nippers… Mine is hotter blooded than any of us.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

we bought one of those portable heaters and it is ace, just leave an air vent somewhere so you don’t poison your self. I am going with my mum, doing solo, so if your missus is going nuts she can pop over with the little one and keep her company. Let me know and i’ll send you mu mobile.

I would get a cheap led head torch for all, and plenty of stuff from poundland for the little one to play with.

almost forgot, we hung about 5 light sticks in the bedroom of our tent last in the summer to give a little reassurance to our little one.lights sticks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Mayhem – 1st camping trip with a 2 year old. What do we need?’ is closed to new replies.