Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)
  • mountain king tyres………………mm
  • postierich
    Free Member

I like Mountain Kings supersonic tubeless 35 psi,dont do a lot of slabby rock stuff, but there is a weight limit on them dontchknow ! 😉
    Fine for Cannocks peebles not so good in mud but then again its all about the rider.
    Rich

ton – Member
    also ran some rubber queens for a while…they too are rubbish, imho.
    maxxis seem to be the best tyres at the present time..

Shhh, don't let them hear you over there <<<<<

I thought they were the holy grail and was considering trying some.

ton

Fine for Cannocks peebles not so good in mud but then again its all about the rider.
    Rich

oy hairyface, come and ride down some steps n slabs round hebbers on em..we will see if it is down to the rider……. 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Horrid things, black chilli compound and all!

I think I've crashed everytime I've had the misfortune to ride a bike with them on, I forget and assume the Kenda Stick-E BG/Nev grip levels are going to be there, next thing I know I'm face down on the ground! 🙄

robhughes
    Free Member

why do they put them on a £4200 spicy 916 ????.
    not sticking up for them.just find it a bit weird.

ton

to get in the spend budget….

miketually
    Free Member

I've got 2.2 Mountain Kings on my bike. They were cheap and have a wire bead, so I assume they're not any clever compound or anything.

I think they're fine. Did the Kielder100 in the wet on them and a few long road rides in the run up to it, as well as a very wet ride in Swaledale.

*cheeky* If anyone wants to send any my way, send me an email (my username 'gmail.com) for my address and I'll drop you the postage and the price of a pint via Paypal */cheeky* 🙂

IdleJon

I've posted about this a few times lately……

Had a pair on my new Genesis about 3 or 4 months ago. I rode them on my local trails – loose rock, wet roots, technical DH. No problems. Have ridden them at Afan, and used them for a 12hr solo at 24/12 (which was rather wet, and rooty in places). Absoluteley no problems with grip. Tidy handling, fast running tyres.

If they were useless they would have been straight off the bike as I've got a few spare pairs.

However, I was plagued with thorn punctures. I was repairing the tubes last week and had to chuck a few tubes out purely because of the number of holes in them. No thorns at all, just holes.

So, summary. If you don't expect them to have HUUUUGE amounts of grip (just look at that tread pattern!), they work well on almost anything.

For me.

Here in Wales and in Newnham.

But don't ride within 100m of anything sharp.

singletracksurfer

Phew there are a few good reviews.

I've just ordered some UST ones for my new wheels – should I start looking for some others, for through the winter (ride in the Chilterns mostly)?

joolsburger
    Free Member

I know I keep harping on but these have a recommended pressure of 50 psi. They scared me at less pressure but were completely fine once pumped up.

I assume the manufacturers know best how to set up the tyres they make?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

robhughes – ha ha no not at all! just looking for a reason why some find them fine and others don't. i love hitting corners fast so high rollers do it for me at the moment but what kind of rider do the MK's suit? those that don't attack corners etc? not saying anything about those riders as i don't know any of them but just wondering!

singletracksurfer – give them a go. several people on here obviously swear by them so give em a go!

tops5
    Free Member

**** just bought some! They were highly rated on another "review" site, used them once at Gisburn seamed miles better in the corners than Schwalbe Fat Alberts.

sv

Looking one or two of the smaller width MKs if anybody is looking rid for a few quid – mail in profile.

mushrooms
    Free Member

The basic conti tyres seem to have a hard compound, the verts I have do = crap.

If you want good grip go for a soft compound this probably matters more than the tread design!?

robhughes
    Free Member

dirtbiker100.there are some very agresive riders out there he he. 😆

joolsburger
    Free Member

I ride like a child me!!! Never get much above 10mph and I've never railed a berm in my life 🙄 that must be why I like em..

GaryLake
    Free Member

I think a lot of it is down to what you're used to, I can happily ride around on MKs once I remember they're on, it's when I forget I'm not running my usual Kenda combo and start taking liberties in the corners that the MKs come up desperately short in comparison.

In fact, I don't even mind it on the rear, it's the front where I get bitten.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Have got two pairs of protection's 2.2 and 2.4. Shockingly shite. Even in dusty spain. No feel of when they're going to let go. Just grip grip grip, and on your face. We all don't mind the back flailing around a bit right, but not the front. I hear the black chilli ones are good but with such a poorly designed knob profile I'm not guna try them. Unless they're free.

chakaping
    Free Member

I've just ordered some UST ones for my new wheels – should I start looking for some others,

The USTs are the same hard compound that people are slating here.

I've got the UST and the Protection version with the posh black chili compound.

The UST is pretty poor, tbh, while the Protection is a good all round tyre that has served me well in wet, snow and ice as well as the dry.

Bit flimsier than a nevegal or high roller, for example, but not a bad tyre at all. Especially if you ride light.

If I were you, I'd see if I could cancel that order and get something else though. Maybe a DTC nevegal if you want UST?

coogan
    Free Member

I like Mountain Kings, always found them fine. But then I hate Nobby Nics and Kenda tyres, so go figure. High Rollers for the win though.

ton

minnions is were it is at………..gnarrr to the max……. 🙄

Eccles
    Free Member

Protection black chilli 2.4s are fine here, and I'm a fat numpty who's used to supertacky minions, i'm just too unfit to keep hauling the things uphill.

I reckon y'all just can't corner.

Surfr
    Free Member

2.2 Protections with black chili here. Brilliant tyres and very predictable in all but the wettest of off camber slabs. I'm running them at 45PSI front and rear on a hardtail. Looking forward to trying the Rubber Queen 2.2 black chili on the front with MK on the rear too.

Problem is that people go out and buy bottom of the range cheap tyres and expect them to perform.

Northwind

Surfr wrote: "Problem is that people go out and buy bottom of the range cheap tyres and expect them to perform."

My Nevegals are cheap tyres, they're an awful lot better than my expensive Supersonic MKs were.

runswithscissors

As said above MKs need to be blown up hard to work…..around 45 psi here front and rear and they are great tyres (black chilli 2.4s run tubeless for me)any less pressure and they squirm around all over the place! Not great in gloopy wet conditions but then thats what mud tyres are for!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Also they are fast and light for the size and the trade off is well worth it.

simonb
    Free Member

They are okay as a rear tyre if a little draggy. Found them Horrible on the front through.

rob1984p
    Free Member

I love them whether wet or dry (i have the cheapest ones in 2.0) but if you do a lot of braking at times when you shouldnt they will punch you in the face! Only time I had slight problems with them was at night at Mayhem on really clayey mud and I was braking too much as eyes refused to get used to night riding.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I looked at one today, to replace the second Eskar with a shredded sidewall (no more Eskars for me!).

Having looked at a Mountain King for all of about ten seconds, I bought another Rubber Queen instead. Proper tyres.

0091paddy
    Free Member

OP – Crap riding skills more like!

GaryLake
    Free Member

People mention not being able to corner properly on them but surely, if tyre a) lets you corner faster and harder without crashing than tyre b), the problem is with tyre b) not the rider surely?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I had a pair of the 2.2 basics. Put up with them for a couple of months but 2-3pinch flats on every ride meant they got replaced. Nice low rolling resistance but not much cop when I really needed some grip.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Now there it is – I weigh 16 stone and the bike is 28lbs and I have never pinch flatted even riding up rocks, jumping to flat, drop offs and the like.

Strikes me people didn't read the manual pumped them up too little and then blamed the tyres for their ills.

Nothing wrong with MK's and if there was I'd just change them, I'm not brand loyal or skint at all.

tangent
    Free Member

Sticking to the regal theme, sounds like this tyre should be remaned the "Throne" … or prehaps "Abdication".

I've been running the Blk.Chill Kings pretty happily in dry but over wet slick rock is sketchy, so if they fit my forks am hoping to try the R Queens instead

Surfr
    Free Member

I think Jools has hit the nail on the head.

ton

i think jools talks boolax……………
    i have been riding mountain bike since 1985…….
    i have owned probably more bike that most people on here, therefore i have ridden hundred of differant tyres.
    i pump my tyres up to 45psi rear, 40psi front
    most tyres if pumped to the maximum rec will be too hard, and will slide on a hard wet surface…
    and these tyres are the slippiest i have ever used on a mountain bike.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I don't talk bollocks thanks. If you've been riding since 1985 you must be knackered!

2.4 Superdoodad MKs are fine tyres on the trails I ride here in the South.

I'm not competing to be the most expert on here but I also have over 20 years offroad on MTB's so I'd say my view is as valid as yours..

I struggle to see my motive for keeping these tyres if they are shite as I have four other pairs in the shed and two more on my other bikes?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ton – the 50 psi is not the maximum – its the recommended amount.

Conti tyres have recommended pressures on them.

ton

and on wet slippy slimy slabs and rocks up north they are shyte….. 8)

teej, who the heck runs a tyre at 50psi offroad……. ❓

joolsburger
    Free Member

Me. I've not tried them on slabby rock other than the chalk on the south downs does that count as it's pretty slippery?

You wouldn't run your car tyres at anything other than the manufacturers recs would you?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘mountain king tyres………………mm’ is closed to new replies.