Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Mountain King 29er tyres – opinions please
  • Shackleton

Was wondering about getting a pair for general winter / soft conditions riding.

I liked the 2.4" Protection Black Chilli 26er version when run tubeless (but not tubed) as an all round tyre and would run the 29er version tubeless too.

What are others experience of 29er MKs? Given that it isn't Black Chilli or Protection how does it handle tubeless and grip wise? I live in Newcastle so most of what I ride the 29er on is sandy moorland or loamy agricultural land if that helps.

Ta,

P

keavo
    Free Member

worked tubeless on stans rims, but has leaky/porous sidewalls. sold mine because i found the grip to be sketchy on roots/rock, tall knobs seamed to slip and slide on anything hard. it would be ok on soft stuff, throws mud off quite well.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

I bought a 2.4 MK 29er tyre at beginning of this year, thinking the big knobs (fnarr) would work well in the mud

first tried it at llandegla trail centre and it was fine; then rode it round delamere forest (or at least tried) and discovered it was utter useless in the clear the mud, doesn't clear muck well and is completely allergic to all roots

tbh – i've stopped buying continental tyres as i find them rubbish, over priced, under sized, over weight, crap performers – reminds me of a lass i once dated… 😐

Shackleton

Right, so not great then?

james-o
    Free Member

I've always found conti tubeless to be the easiest to fit of all, no hassle. The black chilli compound is great but due to where their UST tyres are made, none are currently BC compound. Due to change sometime, can't be soon enough as the Runner Queen 2.2 USt is a brilliant trail tyre, with BC it'd be outstanding.

paul – " under sized, over weight, crap " try the rubber queen 2.4 – massively oversized! and the mtn king 2.4 is light for the size. inconsistent yes, but crap, well hit and miss may be fairer, like most tyre brands in my experience?

keavo
    Free Member

try the michelin xc at. good winter rear tyre, clears mud out well and is a great tyre for tubless conversion. i'm pretty happy to use it on the back in any conditions, still looking for something with more side grip for the front. tried the mountain king and panaracer rampage, both poor in my opinion. bonty axc is o.k. but had one roll off (with a tube in it) geax sagauro are very good but not for mud/winter. next up is a schwalbe little albert, mounted tubeless and held air overnight will ride it tomorrow. regarding the conti comments, the only one i have ever liked is the survival pro 2.3.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you'll be disappointed in the standard compound MK. I know I was, it's much less grippy.

Second comments on the UST-ness being a doddle though.

fontmoss
    Free Member

i like my 29er mtn kings 🙁

thomthumb
    Free Member

i like bontrager acx. picked some up cheapish off the bay…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Mountain King 29er tyres – opinions please’ is closed to new replies.