Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Mountain biking: Scotland vs Wales
  • themog
    Free Member

Hi, what do you think about this?

Which country has better quality mtb trails in general: Scotland or Wales?

Which country has a better quality of trails: Scotland or Wales?

As a mountain biker, where would you prefer to live: Scotland or Wales?
    Why?

jekkyl

but which one is better…. there’s only one way to find out……

themog
    Free Member

could you expand on that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

England

themog
    Free Member

could you just write down scotland or wales?

Northwind

Do you mean mtb-specifics, or just trails? Scotland’s right to roam is really hard to beat if you’re going outside of the trail centres etc.

Haven’t ridden south wales but by and large I reckon I prefer the purpose-built Welsh stuff to Scottish, maybe that’s just grass being greener?

So in conclusion, Scotland or Wales.

rOcKeTdOg

Scotland, it’s bigger, more remote, it’s pretty much access all areas. the people are friendlier & the girls prettier. That’s why I’m moving there

themog
    Free Member

thanks Northwind, what about standard of riders? Thanks

ahwiles
    Free Member

Scotland, because of the access laws.

But Wales is bloody good too.

themog
    Free Member

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Not ridden a whole bunch in Wales, but as you can ride anywhere in Scotland and it’s got more mountains, it’s got to be Scotland, hasn’t it?

Why are you asking btw, are you trying to conduct a survey?

Sanny
    Free Member

Scotland – more big mountain rides, better scenery, sensible access laws, wilderness, no locals who fire bomb outsiders (ok it’s an older reference and they seem to have stopped it now but friend’s of my mum and dad’s son was on the receiving end of having his house set on fire by Welsh Nationalists because he wasn’t Welsh 😯 ).

Of course, both pale into insignificance compared to the Lakes which is the best of both! 😀

themog
    Free Member

It’s thing homework thing, and i chose mountain biking and needed primary research

Northwind

themog – Member

thanks Northwind, what about standard of riders?

Hard to judge because wherever I go, the average drops. Wales has more world champions if that’s any use.

themog
    Free Member

Sorry i wrote quality of trails twice- I meant quality of riders on the second.

Garry_Lager

Land access in Scotland means there can only be one winner.

Ignoring that fact, ISTM that Scotland offers a landscape that is unique in the British Isles, so there are rides there that you couldn’t really do anywhere else. Long, wilderness jaunts through pointy mountains. While a lot of these classic Scottish routes are essentially pony-trekking, rather than mountain biking as such, the possibilities for technically challenging stuff out in the wilds are endless if you know what you’re doing (see Sanny’s long Munro thread on here).

As awesome as Scottish MTBing is, it’s still a whole country you’re talking about. Stuff is spread out and there are plenty of places to live there that would suck for riding. Maybe there’s a spot in Wales that is unmatched for density of high quality trails – a bit like the Lake District offers you so much in every direction in a small-ish area.

fasthaggis

what about standard of riders?

Whether born up here or not,everyone North of the border is teh awzums .

HTH 🙂

davidjey
    Free Member

Wales wins on all counts.

Declaration of interest: I live in Wales.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Oooooo tricky tricky. I’ve ridden most of the trail centres in both so really only based on my trail centre experience and of mtbing only not the walking etc available. I think I’d have to say Scotland. Whenever planning an in this country mtbing break we always say ‘lets go up to scotland’ and whenever we consider where we would move to if we could it always ends up being Scotland. Maybe we’re biased being that we live so close to wales anyway its really not that far to drive whereas Scotland is a good trek.

duckman

The free state of Alba.

grum
    Free Member

England. Nowt beats the Lakes for the amount of good riding in a small area.

Scotland is amazingly beautiful and the access laws are very civilised – but the natural riding there often involves lengthy spells of carting your bike through a bog – having driven miles and miles to get to the good stuff.

Never done any natural riding in Wales but the trail centres/bike park type places are very good – probably on a par with Scotland.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Scottish highlands are better for hill-walking and mountaineering by far, because of the stunning semi-wild landscapes, size and multitude of crags, vast areas to play in, access etc. I totally love the Highlands for this. .

I’ve ridden more extensively in Wales and England so am biased (e.g. I’ve only been to Glentress in the borders), but so far my experience of Scottish mountain biking trails is that they’re not as extensive, convenient or exciting as trails in Wales and England.

campkoala
    Free Member

No brainer really, gotta be Scotland as it’s bigger with more mountains + all the reasons Sanny said (except the lakes bit)
    Even if some of my favourite riding in the UK happens to be in Wales

fasgadh
    Free Member

Scotland: bigger, wilder and we have our gomls on a leash. None of the bridleway vrs footpath bs either.

scotroutes

Not always true. Looks like there could be some sort of mass walk/ride near Achnasheen on 30th November just to re-inforce the legal position….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Much as it pains me to say it, Sanny is spot on (from the perspective of being a scot Sanny, not pained from agreeing with you!) and Grum too. In terms of quality of trails, concentration of trails and a few other factors including real ale in most pubs and pizza from Dodds in Ambleside, the Lake District is the best destination for MTBin’ in these isles.

Once we get independence, I’m gonna start lobbying for taking the Lake District too. Apart from grizedale NF and Whinlatter, ye can have them.

themog
    Free Member

bump

Suggsey
    Free Member

From my experiences of Wales and Scotland I would say Scotland. liberal access laws and more out there feel even within alot of the trail centres.
    I also have to say that on the whole again from experience the Scottish are really friendly too and I just love Scotland and would love to go live there!!

shortcut

OP – it is worth pointing out that Wales is not a country. It is infact a principality. Waits for barrage of abuse.

As to which is better – despite Scotland being millions of miles away I would say Scotland has better trail centres, better natural riding and better (more fun) roads between the trail centres with less traffic on them.

number18
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden trail centres in Scotland and Wales as opposed to natural stuff there. I’d have to say Scotland. You have less thinking time for obstacles, which are usually bigger / better / more challenging. The scenery is more dramatic and the battered smoked salmon + chips near Kirroughtree is awesome!

Standard of riders is very similar, maybe Scotland just edges it.

P.S the lamb burgers at the cafe down the road from Penmachno are pretty good too!

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I live in Scotland, but for recent and proposed developments Wales seems to be the locus.

nostoc
    Free Member

a) Scotland
    b) Scotland
    c) I live in Wales, I have friends, family and connections here. I love it. If I had to live anywhere else it would be Scotland.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Scotland, it’s bigger, more remote, it’s pretty much access all areas. the people are friendlier & the girls prettier. That’s why I’m moving there

This. I enjoy the trails in Wales but all the trails in the world could not keep me there for longer than a few days, it is a truly bleak place. Scotland takes my breath away whenever I go riding there.

beiciwr64
    Free Member

it is worth pointing out that Wales is not a country

Neither is Scotland or England as they are kingdoms not countries. 😉

It’s got to be Wales too many midges in Scotland. 😀

devs
    Free Member

I ride both every year. The answer to your question young padawan, is Wrexham. Go there. Scotland is a dark bad place that holds only sadness for all that visit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Man made trails?
    Quantity – getting close
    Quality – closer
    Overall prefer the scottish stuff though not ridden BPW

Natural? Probably scotland.
    NW doesn’t have enough BW access to get into the proper mountain for instance. The remoteness of some of the scottish stuff is an issue and makes some of it more challenging to get to/complete

Quality of rider even around the world there are some great some crap and plenty in the middle

Which would I live in?
    Neither. Best location for MTB that I have tried living is the Lakes, compact and lots of riding in a big variety of styles.

Scotland and Wales are both doable for a weekend or more.

bigrich

the long Scottish winter and short days is a mutherfupper.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Having lived in both:

Scotland, though Wales isn’t without it’s merits. Better access, better trails if you know where to find them and much easier to explore.

I now live in the Lake District however….

themog
    Free Member

thanks guys 🙂

themog
    Free Member

hello

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking: Scotland vs Wales’ is closed to new replies.