• This topic has 30 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Mountain biking in winter
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

Get my bike out of the shed, fix the puncture.

Staring competition with a bull on a bridleway (bull won). Drag my self through mud/cowshit so sticky I could feel my shoes sucking off into the bog.
    Knee deep wade through the River Cherwell to wash the mud off.

6.4 mph average (I’ve run faster than that, for further).

Get in the shower, burning/itchy feet as they defrost.

Cheese on toast and a pint of tea.

Gotta love mountain biking in the winter, innit.

defydude
    Free Member

Sounds awful.

sambob
    Free Member

I hate riding in winter unless everything’s dry and frozen or dry snow. Complete waste of time, end up walking more than riding and the bike gets trashed 🙁

hugor
    Free Member

Prefer the trail centers in winter. Not a fan of bogfests in remote locations with diminishing natural light.

ajantom

This is why I love living near Woodbury Common, sandy, well drained, all year round trails 8) Out for a ride yesterday, and the bike was clean enough to put away without washing.

Northwind

I love winter riding, except for the wind anyway… I suppose I got back into riding in September so it just feels natural. Now really hot summer days, I can’t stand- sweating like a pig, no energy, no respite, every climb’s too long and every descent’s too slow.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I love mountainbiking in winter when the mud’s froze.
    Yesterday at Rivington,and a couple of Saturdays ago the conditions were great,frozen mud,sunny skies,frosty grass,love it!
    When it’s just a boggy mudfest,I don’t bother,get the roadbike out instead.The usual decider is weighing up if I’m going to spend more time cleaning the bike post ride, than riding it.

therag
    Free Member

I live in Wales so if you don’t want to ride in winter you can only ride for about 3 weeks of the year. That’s why trail centres are so useful
    Hopefully get to afon tomorrow, all ridable wet or dry

br
    Free Member

Out this morning, it was muddy, so what.

If you ride all winter, you are still fit in the spring and can really take advantage of the fast trails.

Certainly ‘worked’ the new chain in 🙂

vegasdave
    Free Member

I enjoy riding in all conditions….it’s cleaning the bike and gear afterwards that’s a bind.

nuke

Post-ride tea after a winter ride is the best tasting, most satisfying tea ever. FACT. Only reason I bother riding in the winter. 😀

it’s cleaning the bike and gear afterwards that’s a bind.

Fork stanchions and chain are the only things that get cleaned on my winter bike although it being equipped with an Alfine does make things simpler. I might knock off some of the larger clumps of mud once they’re dry but normally don’t bother.

leec247
    Free Member

Whats the point in being a fair weather rider???? Find I enjoy the techinical bits more when there wet makes u think how to ride smoother. Dont really enjoy cleaning up afterwards though

hugor
    Free Member

It’s not the weather that’s the problem but the trail. Trying to cross moors in unrideable bog is not my idea of a good day out! I also live in South Wales and fortunately we have lots of magnificent all weather trail centers to use. Come spring however and I hardly visit these places.

SaxonRider

It’s being warmed up by a sympathetic wife that I like best!

Trimix
    Free Member

I love winter riding. You dont have to ride through a bog and get all muddy. For example a few hours in Woburn yesterday was dry and not muddy. Some slippery winter riding really improves your skills and you cant beat a frosty night ride. It also makes you fitter for the summer.

transapp
    Free Member

You must be joking, I got grief for being late taking her to ikea…. Somehow ‘sorry the mud really slowed me down and put an hour onto the expected time’ only seemed to wind her up!!

Holyzeus
    Free Member

mmmmmm, cheese on toast…..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Frozen Loch riding is what real winter riding is about.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C7MHoazFseg/TRTN4mpk17I/AAAAAAAAMWw/43RLSmRz3mU/s800/IMAG0069%255B1%255D.jpg[/img]

alpin
    Free Member

my preferred riding spot is under several meters of snow and my “local” trails along the river are a mud bath. riding them just destroys them for summer, IMO.

there’s about and inch of ice on the pavements, too….

roll on spring & summer!

ianv
    Free Member

Winter riding southern french stylee! 3 and a half weeks and one day of rain 🙂

Esterel

001 by ianvincent, on Flickr

Agly, Pyranees Orientale

019 by ianvincent, on Flickr

IIle sur Tet, Pyranees Orientale

008 by ianvincent, on Flickr

colonelwax
    Free Member

It was a good ride, glad it was on my singlespeed as I could chuck it back in the shed without washing it.

Looking forward to dry trails and sunshine, mind.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

23 mls on Qtox yestday, good company, really muddy in places..
    “Ice cream” headache riding back down road on Cothelstone Hill at 40+mph, pint of coffee at home, feet soo cold i nearly cried in the shower,
    Big fat steak and red wine supper…
    Brilliant..
    Do it all again on Weds/Thurs night !!! 🙂
    Slight downside, cleaning bike and kit this morning, the price you pay !

deanfbm
    Free Member

Was really positive this winter, really embraced the mud.

But just now going on rides that average 8mph, pedalling to move downhill, washing yourself/kit/bike taking atleast an hour has taken its toll, i need sunshine and chairlifts now.

Also just fitted new drive, don’t want to get it mucky.

rOcKeTdOg

What’s not to like ?

deore BW by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

cakefacesmallblock

T’was luvverly round here yesterday..

epicyclo

I prefer winter. A new landscape every day.

I don’t see any point in cleaning my bike though.

float
    Free Member

its alright, id enjoy it more if i had someone to clean my bike/enough money to replace all the stuff that just gets ground away by the mud 🙁

mrblobby
    Free Member

Enjoy it when it’s all frozen, or properly wet and slippy (seemed a lot better last year.) Sticky mud is a chore though. Been out on the road bike more recently.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Its all about the mud.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I find the mud teaches you to trust the bike, builds confidence and fitness. That said a peaty bog is just going to be pointless. Choose ones soil types wisely. Chalk ground can dry out quick if exposed. Clay is evil when wet. Local pine forests dry out quick except where there is regular traffic over puddles. Quantocks yesterday was tremendous fun with a good mix of trails, plenty of slop about with unseen rocks beneath, trusting the bike to do its job is key.
    And what’s all this post-ride-tea business? A good pint of best is lip smackingly good when you’ve earnt it. (disclaimer, obviously not if you’re t-total, on a detox or don’t like beer)

jedi

i love riding in all conditions, it makes the perfect conditions feel so special 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking in winter’ is closed to new replies.