Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mountain bike holiday for 'solo' rider
  • chillidave
    Free Member

Another year and friends aren’t in to biking enough to make a holiday from it but I don’t want to miss out. I spent last year with FlowMTB in Morzine and really enjoyed it but fancy trying somewhere new.

I mainly enjoy the natural singletrack, lift assisted is definitely a nice bonus and something guided would be good. Has anyone in the same situation had a good experience or recommendations for places that don’t mind taking on the odd ‘single’ rider?

Mackem

Just pick a place/company you like and go with them. I doubt any of them mind solo people. I’ve done a few solo holidays and never had problems. A bit of nervous banter, ride, then you’re part of the group.

Tracey

You wont go wrong with Bike Verbier

kayak23

I’m off to South America soon with Redspokes….on me tod like.. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Done this and the only dramas were the knarly trails. I can recommend Riviera Bike or CicleMontana without blinking.

wl
    Free Member

+1 for http://www.bikeverbier.com

Sounds perfect for you as they tick each of your boxes. Dozens of happy guests on here. Superb holidays and truly amazing trails. Very friendly atmosphere great for solo riders, too.

Northwind

When we went over to White Room there was a feller there soloing, he seemed to be having a great time. I was planning to do the same this year til I sorted something out with a mate, I think the advice I got was mostly find out who the rest of the group are- if it’s 7 mates on a stag do, not so good, if it’s a few groups of 2 or 3 then you’re less likely to feel like a spare part.

Oh and I can’t recommend White Room too highly, though I wasn’t there solo. Best week on a bike I’ve had. Mostly uplifted but all trailbike riding, absolute bliss. Only Bikeverbier seem to get as good recommends, I’d love to try them too.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Solo riders no problem for me. http://www.allmountainventure.com/

I don’t do masses of uplifting but there are options.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80TDwWiQ-h0[/video]

chillidave
    Free Member

Great suggestions here guys, really wet my appetite for getting something booked up. Thanks! I’ll be off to find out what availability is like through late summer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

white room (though very popular)

wl
    Free Member

Bike Verbier are very popular (for very good reason) so don’t leave it too late to check their availability. Late summer’s perfect there, too.

thomthumb
    Free Member

bike village. I went with my mate, but he’d been before on his own, and there were a couple of solos there too.

timnwild

I solo’d with BasqueMTB, and the only other rider that week was a solo too – worked out great. We got on really well, and Doug had options up his sleeve had we been at different riding levels. I wouldn’t hesitate to go solo again either there or somewhere else.

Just a though – if you were taking up one last place and all the spaces were filled by another group of mates and you were worried about being a gooseberry, you can always ask the host to put you in touch beforehand, say hi, see if you fancy sharing with them or not.

100mphplus
    Free Member

http://www.ticket2ridebc.com Been on my own a few times plus meet people there every year on their own.

You’ll only be on your own for the first hr it takes to get off the plane through to the departures lounge 😉

chillidave
    Free Member

More great ideas, I will get on it. BC looks like a hell of a fun trip if the flights aren’t too pricy!

strawb3110
    Free Member

Similar situation bud, I’ve booked in to ‘bike village’ this August, read some good reviews and have spoke/emailed the guys there and all seem really friendly and helpful etc. etc. Roll on August!

tonyd

A group of us went with Switchbacks a few years ago and there was a solo guy there. Nice chap, rode well, came back year after year apparently. I can’t imagine you’d have a problem with any company.

longcranks

Just back from a week with AQR in the Pyrenees. Good atmosphere, great natural trails, lift options in season and without the resort feel of Morzine, et al. You wouldn’t go far wrong.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bike holiday for 'solo' rider’ is closed to new replies.