Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Mountain bike guide
  • bungalistic
    Free Member

Considering taking one of the many on offer courses to start the process of possibly becoming one of these.

Who here has done this and what do you make of them?

Are they worth the money and what job prospects (if any) are available afterwards, is it better to go freelance or try working for a company or outdoor centre.

Anyone’s experience or feedback greatly welcomed

flatfish
    Free Member

good luck if you do deceide to change career.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aye flatfish is right. If you’re thinking of earning any kind of living from guiding in the UK, you’ll struggle. I would say that doing a course is still worthwhile though, even if it’s just for yourself as it were … however I’m not going to open the can of worms that is, which course is best 😉

bungalistic
    Free Member

Cheers. It would be mainly for myself that I would do it as I’m sure a lot would be learned.

santacrews
    Free Member

I,ve done one !

CTC Trail leader course…….

On a personal level i found the course really helpful, i have found over the years that i,m a bit of a know it all and thought i knew everything about anything. I had mixed feelings prior to the course and was pleasantly suprised to find that it was not as i had expected it to be.

Plenty of emphasis put on pre ride checks with safety in mind “for obvious reasons” Games to paly on bikes ? for when pedaling on fire roads old train tracks etc etc !

There were plenty of miles covered over the two days and a lot to be learnt along the routes before putting this into practice and guiding the group over on and off road sections.

I have no intention of making a career from it, but have thought about running starter sessions for those who are just starting out in the sport ! i need to build up my log book so i can progress onto tecnical leader !
    I work or help out with a bunch of kids who have behaviour problems so needed this proper qual to do it above board as its for the education authority.
    I didnt pay for the course they did !

Good luck tho

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bike guide’ is closed to new replies.