Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mountain bike 'fitting' & spd setup -southampton way?
  • DT78
    Free Member

Does anyone know of any bike shops that provide a service to setup your bike&spds perfect for you. I think I saw something similar for road bikes at bikelab in poole a few years ago.

I kind of fiddle around with a bit of trial and error but would quite like someone who has experience to help me get it right.

Currently have a bit of knee pain which I'm putting down to cleats not in the right place, problem is soon as you loosen them I forget the position they were in before!

Lummox

there was a place by st marys stadium that did road bike fitment on a proper jig, that said i have no idea if it's still there or if they do mountain biking fitment (they did sell MTB's though)

Think it was called 'rock n road'

poppa
    Free Member

I think Rock 'n Road are still around. Otherwise there are Hub Cycles and GA Cycles both on Shirley road, you could try giving them a ring and asking. I think Rock 'n Road and GA cycles are more high-end, and probably more likely to give fitting services.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i went to carlton road clinic.

http://www.carltonroadclinic.co.uk/position.asp

fitting was excellent. Couldn't recomend them highly enough.

Bit of background; Last summer bought a road bike (first time on road cleats) and was convinced that the pedals where giving me knee pain – which i never got on my mtb.

turns out i had the saddle way too high! Best £60 i spent on bike stuff. my road bike went form being hated to being loved.

mtbfix

Concerning the SPDs – I'd be surprised if the cleat position is the cause of your woes. Might be worth trying a system with some float to let your knee articulate correctly (crank Bros., Time).

DT78
    Free Member

I've used GA a fair bit over the last few years, can't say I've ever seen a fitting jig or similar in there. I was looking for something similar to what I've seen for road bikes where they sit you on it, measure it, provide advice etc…

I'll pop into R&R at some point and see what they do, haven't been in there before as it's the other side of town.

Will check out the carlton link too – thanks!

thomthumb
    Free Member

jig is only any good if you are going to change your bike – if they tell you it's wrong!

you'd be better off on your actual bike.

29erKeith
    Free Member

+1 Carton Road clinic

They'll have you on your! bike(s) on the Turbo
    and set your bike up for what you want speed/comfort
    and will sort all of your cleats Inc. wedges if required

£60 I think for a few hours, worth it imo

DT78
    Free Member

I've dropped them an email to see if they cover mountain bikes.

Sounds exactly like the type of service I want, would be great to take the XC bike along to get it setup perfect for long hard sessions. The other bikes I'm less worried about as generally they are used for quick blasts and I use flats.

May even be able to get my heathcover to pay for the session as well!

29erKeith
    Free Member

Yeah they do MTB's

Nicky or Marc will no doubt get back to you later this evening Nicky doesn't have email access at work and Marc works elsewhere weekdays

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Go To Rock N Road on Brittania road, the fiting service they offer is one of the best in the country!

Oh and

"fittings" that Inc wedges if required

Really are a V. BAD idea, don't go there.

singletrackmind

Is that the branch up by the rusty gas storage (gasometer?) tank by St MAry's ? With zero parking . . I have always wondered if they were any good , always looked more road than rock to me.

Lummox

yep thats the one, i chanced in there once, very high end and a bit spartan. got a cracking price on some troy lee gloves though

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Well they have a couple of car park spaces infront of the shop. They do intense and merida as well so some mountain kit.

Cannot reccomend them enough tbh.

rootes1

here is a tip.

what to mess around with your spd cleat position before finally deciding?

put some small bits of stiff grey card under the cleat, then you can tighten enough to see if the position is right, but the cleat does not indent the sole, so it you need a move a fraction you can without the cleat wanting to go back to the indents

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mountain bike 'fitting' & spd setup -southampton way?’ is closed to new replies.