Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Mountain Bike Commuter Conversion
  • sammaratti
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting on my hardtail for about a year now, and after having a ride on a friends hybrid commuter I couldn’t believe how easier the road riding is so I’ve decided to convert mine.

I have one of these lying around
    http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/mtrax/ht-1-0-2010
    which will be converted.

Its not in the best of shape but not too bad.

It needs a new chain so if anyone can advise me to which chain I need that would be great.

Im also after some semi slick tyres to reduce the friction, how small can I go? I was thinking 1.75??
    I was thinking these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-original-greenguard-rigid-mtb-city-tyre/

Id like to keep the costs down and keep to a tight budget.

Any other points or advice welcome.

rewski
    Free Member

Try lose weight, sh carbon rigid forks, bars, stem, seatpost. If the frame is heavy then not much else you can do. I use marathon plus tyres, bombproof.

tthew

Depends how much you want to keep the cost down, but it might be worth buying a second hand hybrid with rigid forks and 700c wheels.

Any cheap 9 speed chain would do it, but then depending on how worn out the cassette and chain rings are you may need to replace those which would be more cost.

kjrogers

I just did exactly what your describing. I don’t have a long commute, takes me 15 minutes and I’m using the hard tail that I have fitted with a mudhugger and crud guard on the front for use in the winter. Just fitted the tyres you linked to. I couldn’t believe how much better they rolled than the off road tyres that were on the bike. Think I spend most of my time in 23-27th gear. I bought the 1.75 tyres and they are fine, running them at 60psi and they still provide excellent cushioning. I was really surprised by that. I would be interested to try a narrower pair but think these ones will last me a long time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Mountain Bike Commuter Conversion’ is closed to new replies.