Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Mount Kinabalu – anyone been there, done that, got the t-shirt?
  • andybach
    Free Member

I am off to a conference in Malaysia (Kota Kinabalu) for a week at the end of June – its tough life i know! And have got a spare 2 days at the end before i fly out – so was thinking of doing Mount Kinabalu – the hotel i am staying at, organises the trip so it should be hassle free. But just wondered whether anyone had recommendations/comments – tyre choice that sort of thing. Is it doable in “trail shoes” – North face hedgehogs to be precise, or should i take my proper 3/4 season boots?

I was planning on flying out the same day i walk down – as that saves another night in the hotel but just wondered whether this was feasible – and i dont want to spend the whole walk down staring at my watch.

scaredypants

If you go the main route, it’s an “easy” walk – no worse than most lake district paths IME

legs’ll be well sore after coming down though – we were all taking stairs backwards the next day. I’d be surprised if you enjoy the flight afterwards. You staying at the top overnight ?

Scamper
    Free Member

Looked at doing it on Honeymoon, but rambled around its jungle instead. Depends on season but can get pretty parky on the top of course. Isn’t it normal to spend the night within reach of the summit?

Oh,and i talked to people who managed it in sturdy goretex type trainers no problem

andybach
    Free Member

Scaredy pants – seems like you “have” to stop overnight in a hut, and then set off at 2am to see the sunrise. Was slightly concerned about long flight with v stiff legs……

TenMen
    Free Member

I did it in 2003, and agree that it’s more like a steep walk than a climb. We did it over 2 days, staying at the base camp overnight. Well worth it with stunning views, but it is a very long way down, and I think you’d struggle to do it and catch your plane.

Legs
    Free Member

Did it on 1st january this year, well worth doing and it should be possible to fly out of KK on day 2.

On day 1 you walk up to the pretty cushy ‘mountain lodge’ around 2/3rds of the way to the top which was built by the malaysian army using materials flown in by helicopter. You then get an early night and leave at around 2am to get to the summit for sunrise. Take spare headtorch batteries and waterproof gloves – my hands got soaked on the wet fixed ropes near the top and it can be pretty chilly before sunrise.

Once you’ve got your summit pictures, you head back to the lodge for a second breakfast and then straight back down to the park HQ near the road. We got there by lunchtime on day 2, so it should be possible to get a bus/taxi back to KK for a flight in the late afternoon/evening. Busses can be a bit unreliable (you have to stand on the main road and flag them down) so i’d probably pay for a taxi if on a deadline for a flight. Obviously you’ll want to walk at a decent pace, but it should be OK – my GF managed it fine and she’s not a very experienced walker.

I wore trail shoes with my mtb cleats still screwed in, you don’t need anything particularly heavy duty. Take some warm clothes for the top section and good waterproofs – the weather can be very unpredictable. Oh, and start early on day 1 as the rain normally dumps early-mid afternoon. If you start early then you can be sat warm and cosy inside the mountain lodge by then, sipping a warm drink as you watch legion upon legion of japanese tour groups arrive cold and soaked through…

Good luck and enjoy!

Legs
    Free Member

And yes, you do ‘have’ to stay overnight on the mountain, so make sure your hotel books you a bunk space well in advance – if you’ve not got a bunk booked you won’t be climbing…

If you don’t trust the hotel, you can arrange a bunk directly through the official accom operators: http://www.suterasanctuarylodges.com.my/v2/a_cozy_hideaway.html

antennae
    Free Member

What Legs said. It’s epic.

It’s worth going up the slightly longer Mesilau trail and descending on the regular path. You can get a bit more variety in terrain and views that way and there’s a better chance to see certain famous flora (pitcher plants). You can still set off at a sane time and get to to the refuge mid-afternoon.

As others have said, it’s not a challenging climb (apart from a bit of ropewalk traverse in the dark!) but you will hurt afterwards in an embarrassing can’t-walk-downstairs-forwards stylee.

andybach
    Free Member

Thanks everyone – epic pic ! I am now getting adverts over there –> for trekking holidays in Borneo. Oh and for “elevator shoes”…..

Pauly

*jealous*

hh45
    Free Member

as everyone says really, trainers, a merino top or two and you’re on! we were back in KK by tea time no worries using a pre booked mini bus. My knees were nearly double jointed by the time i reached the bottom and walking made my legs ache for 5 days after but in them days i did no sport / excercise at all so maybe different for a superfit STWer?!

the views and flora are ace.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Mount Kinabalu – anyone been there, done that, got the t-shirt?’ is closed to new replies.