Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Mould on shower grout – how to remove?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Our shower grouting’s looking a bit ropey, with bits of black mould around the junctions nearer the base of the shower. What’s the best way to get rid of it?

Or should I just smear new grouting over the top?

Or get rid of the old, and put in new? – won’t the tiles fall off?

djglover
    Free Member

tiles are glued on, scrape some out an re apply. its dead easy

MrsToast
    Free Member

If it’s really bad it might need replacing, but you can try scrubbing it with a toothbrush dipped in bleach.

Remember not to use the toothbrush for teeth brushing afterwards…

LHS
    Free Member

Some cream cleaner and a toothbrush, for hard to remove – brillo pad or similar, ensuring no damage to tiles.

z1ppy

In ours it wasn’t the grout that was mouldy, it was the silicon sealant. Take another look, if it the same in you case, cleaning/chopping it out is the only solution, the replace withmould resistant stuff

bruneep

Aqua panel.

woody2000

Wot zippy said, more likely the sealant if it’s at the bottom

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You can get bathroom cleaner with bleach which is pretty good.

Failing that you can get grout reviver that deals with really bad cases.

theteaboy
    Free Member

My mother in law did it for us.

😀

therealhoops
    Free Member

bog standard bleach works everytime, none of this scrubbing bollox

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

bog standard bleach works everytime, none of this scrubbing bollox

Yeah, the thing with the bathroom cleaner is that it is foamy and sticks for longer so you can just spray it and leave it there for 15 minutes.

Saying that, I have never tried simple bleach.

GrahamS

Yep, plenty of bleach (the thick type) and a nail brush, stiff toothbrush, or (white) pan scourer.

Apply bleach, leave for ten mins, scrub, leave, rinse.

Keep the door/window open to avoid choking on fumes.
    Get naked to avoid bleach spots on your best top.

philconsequence
    Free Member

empty a spray bottle, fill it half with thick bleach and then add about a 1/4 water (leaving a 1/4 of the space in the bottle left) shake it up to make it slightly foamy and then spray all over the bathroom….. leave it to drip slowly down the tiles and then if you’re feeling like a second spray… go for it, no one will judge you (unless you’re wearing a full-face and body armour.. not getting the point of it all)

much cheaper than re-tiling or grouting 8)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If it really is the grout and not just surface muck then a bit of sand paper folded in 2 and run down the joint will remove a bit of grout and clean it up, don’t do it often though as obviously you’re removing a layer of grout everytime.

If it is right into the grout then raking out and regrouting is the only way as the mold lives on the trace elements of starch in the grout and will be present right through it. Same for silicone, if right through as opposed to a bit on the surface, knife it out, clean it up then apply new sanitary grade silicone to DRY (very important) surfaces.

Don’t over grout or over silicone, you’re wasting your time and money.

jools182
    Free Member

put bleach on it and leave it for a few hours, then get a brush and scrub it off

I think I’m turning into a housewife

ebygomm
    Free Member

Simplest way is to soak kitchen roll/toilet paper in bleach, scrunch and stick to grouting. Leave overnight, take off and rinse.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Get some of this:

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Was just about to post the above. Dettol mould and mildew is the best stuff. If that won’t shift it, nothing else will and it’s new grout time.
    Be careful with bleach, i’ve seen it turn grout and silicone yellow.

If it is your silicone, chances are it won’t come clean.
    Replace with mapei silicone. It will still in mouldy eventually but will outlast anything else

ratherbeintobago

Do not, under any circumstances, let anyone talk you into digging out & replacing the grout.

It took me 3 days for what was sold to me by Mrs RBIT as a half day job (which, if I’d known, I would have paid someone else to do as it went over the back of the value of time x money curve), and one of my friends reckon that it brought him and his wife as close to divorce as they’ve ever got.

Andy

ssboggy

second what matthewjb says, mrs boggy did our bathroom with that this week and it works a treat, much easier than messing with bleach etc, just spray on leave a few mins wipe with a cloth and rinse, simple as

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Yep, that Dettol stuff works a treat. Spray in on for about 5 minutes and then just rinse it off.

Kevevs
    Free Member

what mathewjb said. That stuff kicks mouldy mildewy ass.

bearGrease

The Dettol stuff is what our cleaning lady domestic hygiene assistant recommends.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

THIS. JUST. WORKS.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

urine

monkeychild
    Free Member

+1 for grot buster. Soak some cotton wool with it and place over the affected areas. Leave it overnight an et voila no more blackness.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Did anyone mention the cheapest, easiest solution?

Bleach

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Silicone sealant – guaranteed not to cure the leak properly and to look mouldy. My least favourite product of all time.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Mould on shower grout – how to remove?’ is closed to new replies.