Home Forums Chat Forum Motorola Moto G 3rd gen or the Sony M4 Aqua?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Motorola Moto G 3rd gen or the Sony M4 Aqua?
  • Kuco

Anyone got any experience of either of the Motorola Moto G 3rd gen or the Sony M4 Aqua?

nickjb
    Free Member

Got the M4. Very happy with it. Pretty straight OS all seems to work as it should. GPS is fast to connect and the battery life is so much better than any other smart phone I’ve had. I’ll easily get a couple of days of normal use, 3 or 4 with light use.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just got the Moto G and I really like it: Battery life is good, it seems quick (I got the 16gb version) and it doesn’t come with much bloat-ware.

The only downside is the camera can get noisy in low light situations, but its acceptable.

I haven’t tried the Sony.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’ve got the moto G ,which replaced a Samsung galaxy s3. Great value,battery life is good and just works.

RustySpanner

16gb Moto G.
    Can’t fault it. £189 from the site with a promo code.

No junk on it, decent camera and screen.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 looks like the best deal about these days, outside of chinese phones.

£125 and better spec’d that the moto G3.

You’ll need to unlock it from vodaphone mind.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/vodafone-smart-6-ultra-payg/sku86605-grey

I’ve got the original moto g, done me proud, but tempted to get this so I can move onto 4G and a bit more oomph.

btw, go for 16GB minimum, 8GB is bugging my nut these days.

therevokid
    Free Member

my m4 had just done the “blurry camera” thing … again 🙁

cp

You’ll need to unlock it from vodaphone mind.

I read something the other day which suggested they weren’t actually locked.

onewheelgood

my m4 had just done the “blurry camera” thing … again

as has my son’s Z1c and my Z3c. I don’t know why it doesn’t get more coverage. Reviewers keep saying the Sonys have good cameras, but if after 3 months they’re so blurry as to be almost useless, they aren’t good at all.

Kuco

Thanks for replies.

seosamh77 looked at mates Ultra 6 but a bit to big for my liking and I want the waterproofing.

Not liking the remarks about the M4 camera. Reminds me of the Sony camera I had that had to be sent back due to blurry pics and then the zoom sticking.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I read something the other day which suggested they weren’t actually locked.

would be good. unlock code will only be a couple of quid from ebay mind.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Fair comment Kuco, I did leave my phone outside the tent one really dewy night, thankful god for the coated insides! hmm, forgot about that actually, something to think about now! cheers! 😆

roger_mellie

Had an m4 aqua. It got really hot doing naff all. Randomly shut itself down. I sent it back.

matt_outandabout

Sons have M4 Aqua and Moto G 2nd gen, and this morning I set up MotoG 3rd gen’s for staff at work.

The Moto just seems simpler, cleaner user experience.

Just setting up the 3rd gen this morning it was faster and smoother.

And who would not want to karate chop to turn on the torch?

Kuco

Just another quick question, i’m coming from an iPhone 4 so t’s my first Android phone and not a clue about them. Do they access music from the memory cards easily? I know not all apps can moved to memory cards but if I could store music on the card that would be a great benefit leaving the phones memory for apps not that I use many.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do they access music from the memory cards easily?

Very. Drag and drop in to a folder on the card, and you’re off.

I have a M4 Aqua, and very happy so far. Switch off auto updates for any bloatware you don’t need (Worth doing on any phone) and set storage to the memory card, which can be massive, and away you go.

Have yet to properly test the waterproofing, which is one reason I got it. Wanted a phone to sling in a pocket for local bridleslaying rides. The battery life is very, very impressive though. On a par with my Blackberries of old, which is something!

Also, I have an iPhone from work, which is perfectly fine. Android better in a few ways for me, though. One, the drag and drop as above, but also the keyboard. The iphone keyboard doesn’t seem to learn anything, so every time I type an email, I have to type my name in full. My Android one recognises the first couple of letters and gives me auto complete suggestions. Much better.

Kuco

Thanks CaptainFlashheart .

cloudnine
    Free Member

Motorola moto X play.. i recently got JL to price match for £233

Very nice phone, splash proof, good camera and amazin battery

Kuco

Just ordered the Moto G with 16gb memory and 2gb ram. Could have got the 8gb version for £120 off Vodafone but seeing as only 4gb is available to the user thought this was to much of a compromise so paid the extra.

surfdad
    Free Member

Where have you ordered it from? I can’t seem to find a 16gb handset …

Kuco

Amazon. they only had 2 left when I ordered mine.

cp
    jon1973
    Free Member

Ordered my Moto G (3rd gen / 16gb) yesterday from Amazon to replace my Samsung S3. Looks really great value for the money.

Any idea when/if you’ll be able to upgrade to Android 6.0 ? I think it comes with 5.1.

matt_outandabout

It should not be long – Motorola seem to roll out Android updates quickly as they have added less of their own cr*pware on there as most others do.

The staff here are impressed with the MotoG’s – and one dropped hers in a puddle yesterday, purely for testing purposes of course, and confirmed that the waterproofing does indeed work…

Stainypants

I was looking at this a few weeks ago having smashed my 1st gen moto g. I decided to go for a Galaxy S5. Waterproof SD card replacable battery and not that much more than the 16gb 2gb ram moto g. Stuck it in a toughcase and its been great.

Stick a decent launcher on a disable all the Samsung apps its fine.

TPTcruiser

On waterproofing of Sony phones: picked up my Z1 below some dishes, piled them in the washing up bowl to soak, watched some TV, went to look for phone and realised it was in the water for 90 minutes 😳
    Worked fine. No issues four months later. Lovely and clean

hugo
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I’ve just learnt from this that the new Motorola is water resistant. Every day is a school day.

I see waterproofing as a massive advantage, especially after binning my last (luckily insured work phone) after a bag leaked in the rain.

Saying that, I’ve got a Moto G (4G) at the moment bought as a cheapo temporary replacement and it’s been very good. Only gripe is lack of on-board memory as it gets pretty full of apps – otherwise excellent phone. With a bit more memory and waterproofing it would be fantastic. Just a good “clean” phone with no stupid extra bloatware.

mark90
    Free Member

I decided to go for a Galaxy S5. Waterproof SD card replacable battery ……. Stuck it in a toughcase and its been great.

I just got a S5 Neo for those reasons. SD card is a must have for me with 20GB of Memory Map files on there. Only a week in but liking it lots. Battery life is great, 2 days with not too heavy use.

Went with a Spigen tough armour case as recomended on here for the S6. Coupled that with a Tough Tech tempered glass screen protector. Great.

jon1973
    Free Member

So been using my new moto g / 3rd gen for a few days now. Seems unbelievably good for the money.

One thing though. On my old s3 I was able to add numbers to the reject list directly from the dialling screen, I had dozens of numbers on it. I assumed this this was a feature of android (4.1 I think it was on my s3). Once added, this would auto reject without me knowing and without the call going through to voicemail.

This feature doesn’t seem to be there on my new phone (android 5.1). I tried a few apps, but all they do it forward the blacklisted number direct to voicemail, which is no good as it just means you end up picking up automated messages from PPI reclaim companies.

Any recommendations for an app that rejects the calls entirely?

Ta

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I found my moto G to be annoyingly laggy.

Now got a Sony z3 which I love.

Kuco

I’m happy with my Moto G3. Was leaning to the Sony M4 but with the remarks about camera problems and read more reviews about the camera quality put me off.

Though I’m still getting to grips with Android after years of an iPhone.

mikey74
    Free Member

My 16gb Moto G 3rd Gen certainly isn’t laggy

jon1973
    Free Member

Yes. I went for the 16gb one as well. It has a much faster processor than the 8gb. Not at all laggy.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I got a Sony Xperia Aqua M4 as an insurance replacement for a lost Samsung S3.
    It seems quite a nice phone, loads faster than the S3 but the version I have is horribly crippled with only 8gb of storage, I only have 1gb of storage left on internal memory and I’ve moved any apps that I can to an SD card.

I’ll see how I get on but will probably have to trade it in for something else.

mahowlett
    Free Member

Wileyfox swift, had mine for a couple of months now, it’s really blown me away, actually faster than the S5 it replaces due to no bloatware, and only 130 quid, never buying another premium android phone again, it runs stock cyanogenmod android has built in truecaller which is ace, and it feels and looks like a much more expensive phone. I honestly can’t think of anything wrong with it.

nickjb
    Free Member

the version I have is horribly crippled with only 8gb of storage

It is an issue. You really need the 16gb version. The sd card is fine for maps, music, vids etc but with only 8gb apps are a bit limited.

disco_stu
    Free Member

yeah it is very limiting and wouldn;t have been my choice, I’m down to 1gb of internal storage after 1 week of usage. The phone is fast, responsive but it looks like I’ll need to get something else in.
    It’s a bit daft to sell an 8gb phone, 4 of which is used up by android.

iwmunt
    Free Member

M4 AQUA user here. Poor storage capacity and camera is a bit poo. Other than that
    Great phone. Good underwater fresh and sea-water. Would I buy it if I had known the storage issue? No. Can’t be bothered to root and partition the storage as it now can be done. Mums moto G3 is pretty nice tbh.

kayak23

I have a question for Moto G 3rd Gen owners.

With the panorama camera function, if you hold the phone vertically, can you sweep to capture and the imaging is taking the whole screen, or does it shrink the image view?

I’ve been using an Archos 50 Diamond and the panorama is so rubbish. It sort of shrinks into a very small square in the middle and the resolution is terrible.

My HTC One Mini before had a brilliant panorama feature and a brilliant camera in general.

Just want to check the camera isn’t awful before I hit buy…

mikey74
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the Pano feature as I’ve never used it but I think it’s fair to say the camera is the worst thing about the Moto G. Having said that, it’s not awful, just don’t plan on winning any photography awards with it, particularly in low light.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Motorola Moto G 3rd gen or the Sony M4 Aqua?’ is closed to new replies.