Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Motorcycling: CBR600RR to GSXR750 or…..??
  • dickie
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2003 Honda CBR600RR for about 3 years & I’m torn between spending some money on servicing/upgrades or changing the bike for something bigger.
    The bike is in fantastic condition, 11,000 miles on the clock & had a full service history until last year when I didn’t bother as it had only done 1800 miles since the last service. The bike came to me with a scorpion end can, gear indicator, tail tidy & double bubble screen.

I do a lot of riding two up with the GF on the back & having suggested we get something more suited to two up riding she’s keen for us to keep a sports bike. Also I find the revv’y nature of the bike a bit tiring so I’m thinking something with more power/torque.
    As I said the bike is in excellent condition so I can’t really decide whether to spend a bit of money on it or trade it for something newer & bigger – although I thinK a 1000 would be too much for me.

For the CBR I was thinking oil, filter, plugs, air filter service, new brake fluid & braided hoses, & a fork service – I’m not aware of the forks having any kind of service in the past & the pre-load is max’ed out so a re-spring is probably in order. So probably looking to spend about £500, & keep it a few more years.

Or trade it. Would be it be worth going up to a 06-07 Suzuki GSXR 750 K6-K7 at about £5K hoping I’d get about £2.5-£3K for the CBR?
    Would there be a benefit going up 150cc, would I notice, or may be to a v-twin?

flange
    Free Member

Personally, having ridden both I’d say you’d not notice a huge amount of difference between the 600 and the 750, especially when riding two up. theres no doubt that the 750 is a fast bike (obviously) but its not leagues ahead compared to say going to a thousand. That said PB and the like reckon the 750 is the perfect UK bike, or they did last time I read a copy. Maybe consider a VFR800 as a compromise? Its not a full bore sports bike but they’re still quick, look pretty good and its a honda, so it will NEVER break. The benefit will be that the Mrs will find it more comfy, it’s got more torque and a bit less of a screamer than the RR.

In my opinion, the cbr is a much better bike, the build quality is far better on honda’s compared to Suzuki although I’m sure I’ll upset some Suzuki fans on here. You’d definitely notice the difference more if you went to a V-twin, but your choice is fairly limited compared to IL4’s and my Mrs at the time hated being on the back of the twin because of the on/off power delivery compared to a four.

If you’re looking at selling the Honda, I’d give it another couple of months until the weather picks up. You’ll get waaaay more money for it than selling it now.

flange
    Free Member

To add, all the new thousands are tiny even compared to your RR. I’ve got a new Blade and I’d never want to take anyone out on the back, so much so I’ve removed the rear footpegs. Maybe look at something a bit older but a bit bigger? ZX9r always gets raved about, Blackbirds are an awesome bike and so easy to ride (although BIG!) or you could go left of centre and look at one of the bigger BMW’s? Your bike is making maybe 103bhp at about 1 million rpm. Something that makes a bit more power but doesn’t rev so hard might be a better bet?

(NOTE: I’d keep the RR, bloody lovely bike!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you want a different bike / better pillion then go a different direction vfr / blackbird / hyabusa / BMW.

I loved my BM – great pillion bike ( comfy seat and accelerates and brakes level) 100 bhp and handled well enough to have fun in the twisties, could be thrashed, great for long runs.

flange
    Free Member

Thats twice we’ve agreed now…

dickie
    Free Member

Flange – thanks for the replies, yes PB do still rave about the GSXR750 thats how I got the idea.
    But their slogan is also ‘Don’t trade it – upgrade it’.

Also thanks for the other suggestions – but yes I do like the CBR, its quality, & given the cheap insurance, condition & given the comments I’m now more tempted to go down the upgrade route.

I do really like the BMW F800S but the other half thinks its horrible.

flange
    Free Member

F800 will feel slow in comparison to what you have currently.

Maybe book the CBR in to MCT, Darren is pretty good and I’ve had all my bikes done there. Or give Toby a try at Fullsussed, he does my pushbikes but used to work for a place in Bury St Edmunds doing Mbike stuff.

I’ve just put a quick shifter on the blade and its awesome, maybe have a look at sticking one of those on? If only because it makes your bike sound like a GP bike!

oldgrump08
    Free Member

How about looking at a v or triple naked?

br
    Free Member

Go bigger and its a lot better all round especially with a pillion.

And tbh only sports bikes from years ago were good with pillions, the new ones are just too focussed/small – I had a zx9r, that was great whether it was my wife (at 5ft and 8st) or mates (at 6ft and 15st).

I’ve had a couple of Triumphs now, and the latest (1050 Sprint GT) is superb – don’t even notice the pillion and they are sat low so get far less buffering. very reliable too, done nearly 20k this year with only basic servicing.

deviant
    Free Member

GSXR-750 rider here, its a great bike….i’ve had 1000cc bikes too but the engine tends to be the dominant aspect of riding a thousand….it becomes the only thing you get your kicks from, enter a straight bit of road and crack open the throttle as the front wheel lifts, change gear and repeat to fade etc etc….fun but ultimately one dimensional.

Also had a 600cc sportsbike which to this day has the best brakes i’ve ever used (2007 zx6r) but was lacking in cheap thrills at anything less than 10,000 rpm….so i got the 750, the engine is enough, the handling is superb, the brakes are good, it looks nice too….no single area dominates proceedings meaning you can enjoy the ride and focus on whatever you fancy….let the engine take care of things and concentrate on braking and lines….but it still has enough go to put a smile on your face when the road opens out….i would say its a keeper but there are so many good bikes out there i usually change every couple of years regardless of how good the bike has been.

I would say though that if pillions are going to be a regular part of your riding then its probably not the best bike….the 750cc engine is an improvement on a 600cc with noticeable shove from the midrange but you’d spoil all this by sticking somebody on the back….if the other half was a regular pillion then i’d get a Hayabusa or Kwak ZZR1400….still fast but longer, lower and pillion friendly.

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks all for the useful & informed replies, just what I wanted.
    I’ll have a look at the other suggested alternatives.

the_lecht_rocks

got rid of my R1’s / Gixxers / Blades etc for a VFR1200….. Absolutely superb.

We did 4000 miles hrough the alps in September 2 up + luggage – Never missed a beat and it was hot [32 deg C] most of the time , esp Northern Italy.

takisawa2

Been a few years since I had a bike with an engine, but at the age of bike your looking at I recall the VFR800 as coming out top in a test by RIDE magazine. They used to have a reprint service for old tests…

VFR would be my choice. Tried a Blackbird once & that was brilliant two up, but its a big old lump of bike. VFR1200 sounds nice…

superfli
    Free Member

All modern supersports bikes wont be great for pillions, well if doing many miles on them anyway. You’d want a sports tourer as said previously.

As for upgrading to 750, I did this same move 9 years ago, cbr to gsxr750. I’ve been on 750’s ever since. IMO and that of magazines for years, the best sports bike size out there. Its not that I’m a suzuki fan, itsd just that they are the only ones doind a supersports 750.
    Reliability wise, I’m a massive Honda fan, had lots of Honda cars, and will always try to buy Honda, but I’ve never had any issues with the 4 750’s I’ve owned.

firestarter
    Free Member

If you don’t like the revvy style of an inline 4 I’d take a test ride on I vtwin loads of low end grunt no need for thrashing the nuts of them to get anywhere

geordiemick00
    Free Member

VFR 800’s are a nice bike but the servicing costs are huge, a lot of plastic to be removed every service.

If you venture out mainly as a couple then you need to start looking for bikes like Sprint 1050’s, good pillion bikes but still handle.

Or, go for my option which would be the 750, near on thou power but still retain 600 nimbleness. I did a track day couple of year ago with Ian MacPherson (ex MotoGp/WSB) and he travelled down from Scotland to Cadwell on a GSXr 750, did his tutoring on it then rode it back, said it was perfect all round bike.

tomaso
    Free Member

Big VFRs are comfy and efficient but they are also IMO a little bland on the thrills side with a very linear power delivery. A GSXR750 has a bit more grunt than a CBR600 but it is still a rev monster of a race rep and if you want two up fun then something larger will always be better.

A Fireblade is probably a great compromise between grunt, power, comfort and fun. But the Honda Blackbird is the daddy of fast two up fun but can look a bit too mature with its single colour paint jobs.

Triumph Sprints are lovely characterful bikes with good looks comfort and grunt.

My wife found my old VFR750 very comfortable, but she tolerated 3,000 miles toruing Spain a CBR600F. However she only wnet on my RGV250 for 3 miles and said she’d never go on that ‘thing’ again.

firestarter
    Free Member

Actually my mate has just got rid of a vfr1000 and changed to one of those big bmw police bike things think its 1200 he loves it he had it a week and stuck on 8000miles touring two up in France. he lovers all the gadgets and still throws it around when out with the lads

gsp1984
    Free Member

I always wanted a 600rr, then I bought a new one in 2005 and had it fo about the same time as you and loved it. it was perfect for the road, I ended up craving a bit more power and looked at all the option, I ended up going for a new fireblade.

The fact is it was just to much for the road and I enjoyed it less. I loved hammering the 600rr, to do the same on the fireblade and your over 100 constantly, sooner or later the inevitable will happen and you’ll hurt yourself or loose your license.

Keep the 600rr, give it a service, get the forks, shock and swingarm serviced and keep a future classic.

and any opportunity to post a photo of a bike :p

juan
    Free Member

none of them… Too many cylinders, too much plastic and way not enough soul and character.
    Bike for pillon:
    BMW ewan Mc gregor
    Multistrada
    KTM 990
    Rocket III
    honda Goldwin
    End off

flange
    Free Member

Rocket III
    honda Goldwin

How many cylinders to they have then?

firestarter
    Free Member

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

For big midrange power and light weight the Suzuki SV1000S hasn’t been mentioned yet. A neighbour had one and reckoned it would wheelspin off the throttle all over the place on wet roads.

failedengineer

I’m a big Triumph fan. Buy British! I’ve got a 1050 Speed Triple at the mo which is fairly good for pillions. Last one was a 1050 Sprint which was, obviously, better for pillions, but a tad heavy (handled beautifully though. 1050 Tiger would be a good choice or the new 800 Tiger if you could afford one – they’ve only been out a year or so.

footflaps

VFR all the way – amazing bikes..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Motorcycling: CBR600RR to GSXR750 or…..??’ is closed to new replies.