Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Enduro/motorbiking- anyone tried a 'taster' and if so where etc?
  • hora
    Free Member

Firstly. Please don’t turn this into ecology/damages to trails etc. I’m interested in getting into it- looks fun and I’d like to see if its as good as it looks before spending any money.

In theory – you could also use the bike for general road use (compromise on tyres though and bike would have short powerband between gears etc I know). I was thinking 125’s initially.

Pigface
    Free Member

Forget about using a MX bike on the road, nice in thought hopless in theory especialy a 125.

Yamaha do a taster with Geraint Jones but maybe more enduro than MX

hora
    Free Member

This is how new I am. Whats the difference? Enduro being a bit more distance?

traildog
    Free Member

Motorcross is done on a motorcross course. Like a dirt race track. Enduro is more point to point across the countryside.

hora
    Free Member

Its Enduro (topic corrected) that I’m interested in. Thanks for the clarification.

Pigface
    Free Member

Mx is like silverstone or Brands ie closed circuit. Enduro is a timed event ie you have to do a certain distance in a set time, cant go over time or under time as you get penalised. also with in the “lap” you will do a special test where you will be timed, stay clean on time and are fastest in special test = winner

Enduro laps can be up to 130 miles (Welsh 2 Day) or more likely 35 – 50 depending on where it is held and you will do 2 or more laps depending on what class you are riding.

ACU website will explain it better than me I am sure.

charliemort

Moto cross – riding round a track usually 2 or 3 miles elbow to elbow racing, big jumps etc

enduro – thinking man’s off road riding. 3 hrs to 6 days plus, racing against the clock with penalties for going through time checks late (or early) (60 points per minute)with balls out secial tests thrown in. Total points = special test time in secs plus penalty points, one with least points wins

courses are longer (usually 6 mile multi lap up to 150 mile big loop (eg Welsh 2 day enduro) and are natural rather than man made tracks – logs, rocks, streams, mud, big climbs etc. Oh and it is knucking fackering after 3 or 4 hours or so

bikes will be similar to motocross bikes but less fierce power delivery, softer suspension, and usually road legal with lights etc as some events will use a bit of road

google “David Knight” and prepare to have your mind blown

hora
    Free Member

Ah, more green laning but not like the mincing that I’ve witnessed on part of the Kinder Circuit where the bikes all went round the chicken run instead of taking the rocky route 😐

chipsngravy
    Free Member

Check out http://www.wheeldontwo.co.uk/ down near Totnes Devon.

Andy & Jim run a variety of courses. I”ve been to them several times, they run a top class outfit.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yamaha do a taster with Geraint Jones but maybe more enduro than MX

This. Or there’s a MX version. Google Yamaha Off-road Experience.

Enduro bikes aren’t practical for road use, but trail bikes are.

Have a look at the Trailbike Enduro Club. You could actually use one bike for commuting, trail riding and racing.

EDIT: There are two distinct events falling under enduro – proper timecard enduro mentioned above and hare and hounds which is a ‘who can do the most laps’ type event – usually 3-4 hours (which is actually the most common form of enduro). Neither are anything like riding green lanes.

wolvesdug
    Free Member

Enduro bikes are a bit softer than Motocross bikes.

125cc 2 stroke need reving to get them going and you have to keep them there.
    300cc Ktm 2 stroke excellent bike and rides more like a 4 stroke and is far better on the road than a 125cc.Had both bikes and much preffered the 300cc.

as said above Enduro is a bit more relaxed than motocross. WOR events if you have a bike or http://www.adysmith.co.uk/ if you dont.

Sancho
    Free Member

If you live anywhere near Leeds I can take you round Tong.

Riding Enduro is just brilliant and always fun.
    Except when its really hard, when Im stuck in a muddy bog and am cold wet and exhausted and I question why I bother holding on to this fragile life…..

Apart from that its just excellent.

5thElefant
    Free Member

300cc Ktm 2 stroke excellent bike and rides more like a 4 stroke and is far better on the road than a 125cc.

In the same ways as being beaten around the head with a stick is far better than being beaten with a hammer. 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Hare and Hounds can get pretty technical!

Sunk

Smoking!

A bike that can do the above would be pretty poor choice for the road but a road going trail bike would handle green lanes well.

uplink
    Free Member

Not done an enduro for years – they were great fun
    Suzuki PE400, I used it on the road too, to ‘hooligan’ around 🙂

Go for it Hora, you’ll love it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Enduro/motorbiking- anyone tried a 'taster' and if so where etc?’ is closed to new replies.