Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Motorbikerists – tell me about…
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..Triumph 955i Daytona (SS) about ’02 with around 20k

Lockup was broken into and they got the keys which were in a jacket pocket. Bike didn’t start, but I may not be able to get another key cut. So, it looks like breaking for spares. That means I might be looking for another toy in a month or two. LAst time, i’d shortlised the Kawasaki ZZR1100 and ZX-9R as well as the 955i daytona and the one I did get – the Aprillia RST Futura. this time I’s thinking the models of ZZr and ZX9 are getting abit log in the tooth, but the 955i seems to still be fresh enough to provide cheap’ish thrills and affordable spills.
    I’m 6’2, not big on motorways but like the odd weekend away in Highland Scotland
    Your opinions will be most welcome.
    Ta

sangobegger
    Free Member

Futura looks nice on paper, but with panniers on looks just plain odd – like a VFR in all the wrong proportions. ZX9 will give the 955 a run for its money any day, but road tests of the day show that taking one over the other would be splitting hairs. At that ages, it simply comes down to condition and cost -take your pick. A Blade from 2000 – 2002 or a Gixer 750, would both be on the list as well. SP1 even!!!!

br
    Free Member

The problem with the Futura is that the servicing is both long and expensive, so they usually don’t get done properly.

And any bike of that age will have problems, just buy the one which looks best – mileage/age irrelevent.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I recently did the same thing.

Tested loads and loads of bikes and would probably have been happy with any of them.

Then I rode a VFR800 and fell in love. It feels perfect, for me it was the fastest bike in the real world, it’s comfortable and the noise that V4 makes is addictive. Add in bombproof reliability and you can’t go wrong.

rossi46
    Free Member

How about a Kawasaki ZX750R

Bit cheaper on the insurance with it being a 750, and you can still stick some sports panniers on it and whack out the miles….

takisawa2

6’2″ & likes to get away to Scotland…doubt he’ll thank you after a few hours on a ZX7. 🙂 Be a laugh once you get it there though…
    ZZR1100 is a big old beast. Fairly bulletproof. Cush drives biggest issue on the 1100 I think. They are big though, & bloody heavy. I tried a 600 once & that was ok though.
    If it were my money, a Blackbird or VFR800, but probably the VFR. Lovely bikes.
    I’d avoid a 900cc sports bike of that age, its going to have fallen into the hands of the **** brigade by now, unless its a known history.

rkk01
    Free Member

Tried a few VTRs a couple of years ago. Seemed pretty bombproof – and sound lovely with after
    market cans. Would have liked last VFR800, but too rich for my budget.

RSV?
    Triumph Sprint?

Northwind

955 is a fine bike… Always feels very heavy to me on the move but it’s reasonably well put together and isn’t scrunched up like some.

I think if I were you I’d be looking for a nice ZX9R, or an older Blade (up to the triangular 1000), or a Blackbird if your interests go that way. Or a K4/5 GSXR 1000 if you can abide the seating position, they’re pretty cheap to buy for such a superb machine.

martinxyz
    Free Member

This was my first ride of the year. A loop around Loch Ness.
    ZX9R E1. 20,000 miles (around 28k total) and only the horn has just failed in my ownership. The pic was taken at Glendoe,not Glencoe.
    Kawasaki glencoe rear view scenery 1 10 3 12 by martinxyz, on Flickr

br
    Free Member

Tried a few VTRs a couple of years ago. Seemed pretty bombproof – and sound lovely with after market cans

VTR’s are pretty crap on fuel, think 30mpg on a good day – and 20’s when thrashed.

I ran a ZX9RC1 for over 50k (mainly commuting into and around London), and if you are over 6′ they are a perfect bike. Very fast (faster than equivilent Blades, Triumphs etc, and even R1’s), big fairing and lots of rider room and 40mpg no matter what. They handle ok, but at this vintage on any bike you’ll need to be spending money to get them right.

Agree with the ZX7 crap riding position, and not sure you’d find one that wasn’t in need of serious spend.

You though can’t go wrong with big Jap 4’s, cheap and easy to service and quick – but again at the age you are looking, condition is all.

rickmeister

Well I’ll stick up for the ZZR 11.

Owned mine since 1993. 95k miles and has never failed despite sitting under a cover in the garden all year. Its 230kg, very comfy and not too bad on fuel. Its not a sports bike by any means but good for long distances or touring.

We are looking at BMW F 800 R as an alternative, it looks pretty good fun but the screen is low…

weeksy

the VFR800 seems to me to be a better plan. Can’t see what the others really bring to the table that the VFR doesn’t beat them on.

After that, the ZZR1100 would top my list.

rkk01
    Free Member

VTR’s are pretty crap on fuel, think 30mpg on a good day – and 20’s when thrashed.

Very true, and with a tiny tank as well – 16l?? IIRC

bellerophon
    Free Member

Lovely picture there Martin.

I’d suggest an R1 but then I’m a fan, as I like looking at it here’s a picture:

MOD: Image removed due to malware

I’ve had a ZX9R (1998 I think C1?) anyway, I didn’t get on with it but then I had just come of a GSXR600 and I’m a bit shorter than you (5’10”). Having said that the engine was fantastic, felt like if the road was long enough it’d pull until you took off. It’d be great for long journeys whilst sporty enough for the twistys…

Edit: Hey Rick, 95K I’m impressed

amplebrew

I’m a massive fan of the SP1 and wouldn’t part with mine for the world, but it is not an easy bike to live with.

It is not what you would call comfy and the fuel range isn’t brilliant, however for me; it turns every ride into a special event.

The sound of the v-twin engine combined with the whine of the gear driven cam is pretty special and the build quality is fantastic.

If you are considering Daytona’s, then it sounds like you’re looking for a bike away from the usual Blades / R1’s / GSXR’s etc; so maybe an SP1 or SP2 might be right up your street.

rickmeister

@ bellerophon … its just sailed through its mot and I hope this year will be 100k plus (which I know is not a heap compared to some dispatch bikes… ).

bellerophon
    Free Member

amplebrew; got to agree, that is a fabulous bike and one on my dream list to have. Tank range is my only concern with it, when they first came out I was comutting and thought the tank range meant filling up just to get home, could be wrong though, so out of interest what are you getting?

bellerophon
    Free Member

Still Rick that ain’t bad. Mine has a paltry 30K on it, funny thing about bike usage, I had one of these first time round and in the 18 months I had it I put on 28K miles (commutting), bought my current one in 2009 with 24K on it for the same money I sold the my old one.

amplebrew

bellerophon – Member
    amplebrew; got to agree, that is a fabulous bike and one on my dream list to have. Tank range is my only concern with it, when they first came out I was comutting and thought the tank range meant filling up just to get home, could be wrong though, so out of interest what are you getting?

I usually get around 90 miles out of a tank before the fuel light comes on. In comparison, my previous RR8 Blade was doing 120 miles. That is based on me riding around the Isle Of Man where there is no speed limit on a lot of roads. I reckon I would get more miles out of it in the UK.

j-cru
    Free Member

bellerophon, I’ve got a 2000 SP1 with PC3 fitted, most i’ve ever got was 110 miles on a tank. Light had been on for about 15 miles. Ace bike tho and you do sometimes see the 23 liter endurance tank on ebay.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Yep that’s what I thought re mileage, although not quite filling up just to get home my commute was 85 miles all in, so I’d have been filling up every morning, I do remember the endurance tank ‘upgrade’… hmmm I only play on my bike now maybe time to see what’s available..

juan
    Free Member

So basically the OP ask about a triple from british finest and people reply with some souless and tasteless in-line four from japan.
    Go and figure.

j-cru
    Free Member

Juan- souless is a good thing, means everything works. 😉

bellerophon
    Free Member

Well the OP did consider the ZZR1100 and ZX9R, which from memory are in-line fours from japan, the SP1 hardly soulness and in my view neither is the R1 from that era, but hey ho.

We did maybe digress, so how about an aprilia rsv mille?

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

ive got a vfr800 with abs for sale? 😆

failedengineer

Daytona’s a fab bike (as is it’s sister the Speed triple). Excellent build quality – better than all except Honda (IMHO, of course), Plenty fast enough, good on fuel and the sound ……..
    The only downside for me is the low bars – you see quite a few with top yoke conversions or higher clipons so I must not be alone. Buy British!
    I think that the earlier 955 looks best (up to 2001), but the later one has more power (although most of it is at the top end).
    There was an issue with the fuel tank connectors, but that will have been sorted by now and the bearings in the suspension linkages dry up and are a pig to get out – make sure the rear suspension action is nice and smooth.

bazzer
    Free Member

What are the details of the VFR for sale ?

Bazzer

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

cheers for all the replies

Futura looks nice on paper, but with panniers on looks just plain odd – like a VFR in all the wrong proportions

it was marketed as Italy’s answer to the vfr. If I could find a decent low mileage vfr750 i’d be interested, but linked brakes are out for me so vfr800 or later is no.

A Blade from 2000 – 2002 or a Gixer 750, would both be on the list as well. SP1 even

comfort, dear boy, comfort. I like a fair number of miles and being able to walk once I’ve dome them

ZX9R E1

that one, in blue. I’ve ridden one and it felt like it was made to measure for me. not in kwak green though

6’2″ and likes to get away to Scotland…doubt he’ll thank you after a few hours on a ZX7

start point is central scotland. ongest trip on the futura was to cornnwall via liverpool, then portsmouth, then to wales, ferry to ireland, couple of days riding about around belfast then ferry to cairnyan and back home. on azx7 it would have taken weeks to recover. on the futura i did a 4 hour ride the next day just enjoying losing the weight of the luggage. it seriously was an awesome bike

I usually get around 90 miles

quite – futura did around 140. try heading north of inverness to john o’groats, then along the north coast to durness and down the west coast on anything with a range less than 100 and you’ll be more interested in fuel than scenery. just for a laugh, try it on a sunday, outside the tourist season.

How about a Kawasaki ZX750R

too small, too ugly, too green

the VFR800 seems to me to be a better plan. Can’t see what the others really bring to the table that the VFR doesn’t beat them on.

not having linked brakes.

I’d suggest an R1

You might, but I used on for a day whilst couriering in london (temporary arrangement from m/c hire place and all I could get till my gt550 came back. too small and too aggressive for me

Daytona’s a fab bike (as is it’s sister the Speed triple).

IIRC it’s a faired speed triple, which I like, but unfaired bikes on long trips get a bit uncomfortable

I think that the earlier 955 looks best (up to 2001),

totally agree

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

how about an aprilia rsv mille?

hahahahahahahahaha – have you seen one – they’re tiny. nice, but tiny
    I’d seriously think about an SL1000 Falco though

weeksy

Milles are tiny ? well compared to 950 Adventures they are yes… but compared to most they’re not.

Triumph Tiger ?

boriselbrus
    Free Member

not having linked brakes.

I was concerned about that, but it’s a non-issue. I’ve ridden mine on ice and snow and I never even think about it now, it just stops.

If it’s a problem though, you can have them un-linked.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

IIRC on a par with small ducatis. the v4 particularly. no wait, now i think about it’s the v4 i was thinking about, the original mille isn’t too bad. a still a bit on the small/racy side for me though

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Aprilia – I would stear well clear of anything they produce.

Triumph 955 – Could do a lot worse, but unlikely to be outstanding in any area.

ZX-9/ZZR100/ZXR750 – ZXR and ZX-9 are getting old now, and likely to feel it. ZZR1100 is a great bike, but its all sausage and no sizzle.

I would seriously consider a Honda Blackbird. Unrivaled build quality, incredible performance if you want it, a pussycat when you don’t. They are comfortable, haven’t really aged and now are temptingly cheap. VFR is also great, as would be a blade, but I would go for a blackbird.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The SP1 is a great bike. I sadly just couldn’t live with the very limited fuel range.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

bazzer,here she is,just waltzed thru its mot and got tax,i think a year but ill have to check…very clean.ive done around 1000miles on it and never wheelie!
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/searchresults/detail/Honda/VFR800-VTEC/2005/_/R-NXGN-7573078?mfy=14.963163

rkk01
    Free Member

Good job that’s not red* ^^^. I’d be (unsuccesfully) bending my wife’s ear

* Yes, I know, colour is not the most important consideration. But I always liked the VFR800 in bright red

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

* Yes, I know, colour is not the most important consideration. But I always liked the VFR800 in bright red

Colour counts – I did see that VFR in dark purple – much, much nicer than it looks in the photos

rkk01
    Free Member

Used to see a repsol liveried VFR near us.

Looked fantastic, and a really unusual sight for Honda’s “sport tourer”. Sadly, last time I saw it, the bike had been dropped 🙁

photo nicked from the web – doesn’t really do justice

Better one…

WANT, WANT, WANT !!!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

moe_szyslak – Member

Aprilia – I would stear well clear of anything they produce.
    You maybe never bothered reading the original post, but the Aprilia’s going. Which is a shame because for a few years it was the best bike I’ve ever owned – not the fastest but fast enough, not the best handling, but good enough, probably the most comfortable – good at everything and the closest to a do-it-all bike I’ve ever had. Mechanically as sound as they come, the only reliability problem was an easy fix – short out the sidestand cut-out switch.
    still that’s based on a few years ownership and a round Britain jaunt, what would I know?

easyrider
    Free Member

How about a fizzer? ❓

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Motorbikerists – tell me about…’ is closed to new replies.