Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Motorbike trials riding ?
  • TheDBF
    Free Member

Looking to get in to proper motorbike trials riding, not the mad Dougie Lampkin stuff but the jumping over logs, riding up streams etc type.

Anyone from here do/done it ?

other than good balance, tonnes of skill and bottle is there anything else I need 😆

peakmonster
    Free Member

Used to do it as a teenager very good fun and other than the cost of the bike a pretty cheap hobby, lots of local clubs with pretty cheap entry prices if you fancy a bit of competition.
    Also your m.t.b bike skills will benefit no end.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I rode for 15 years waaay back in the late 70's & 80's. Had some fantastic times & met some great people. I was never a fantastic rider but was ok . I haven't done a trial since about 1987 but my mate who's son rides reckons on a modern bike some of the sections are easier than when we used to ride. You need to join a club & get a licence but I'd be having a good old practice first!
    Enjoy, & get yourself up to the Scottish Six days Trial at Fort Willy in May just to savour the atmosphere!

singlespeedstu

I few of my riding mates also ride trials. (one's just got an entry to The Scottish)

As said above apart from the cost of the bike it's a quite cheap and easy going sport at club level.

I keep meaning to get a trials bike for a bit of fun. It'll certainly be cheaper and less time consuming than my previous chosen sport of British/European Championship Enduros and ISDE's.

beardie
    Free Member

yep, my sherco 250, yours for a very reasonable £700 !

hugh_b
    Free Member

I rode trials for a few years before i discovered the biketrials side of it. It's a mixture of throttle, clutch and brake control, along with good balance and some balls! There's loads of clubs around and i can pretty much guarantee there will be an event on reasonably near you every weekend.

The bikes tend to be a fair bit cheaper to run than many other motorcycle sports too.

It's something i want to take up again in the future when money allows.

Always wear the right kit, (boots, helmet etc) and have fun!

gazman
    Free Member

the dbf, where are you from mate there is a quarry in rochdale where you can go and practice, its run properly i did it for about 2 years until 2 yrs ago, it was £10 for all day theres a butty van and toilet on site too.

have a look at http://www.cowmleisure.com

robarnold
    Free Member

Throttle and clutch control/weight shift and an ability to 'feel' for grip are a must. Tons and tons of practice are advised and it doesn't need to be on daft big stuff, something as drab as a big grassy hill can keep you entertained for hours and are a great, safe way to pick up techniques. Watching other riders in sections is also a great way to pick up lines and tips, you shouldn't be too hasty in trying to get in to a section first, especially when you're still 'green'. I still have to tell myself to slow down and watch others.

I've been doing it since I was 9 (27 now) and still get a buzz from eeking out a big 'clean' on a tough sub, especially if there's plenty of fellow riders watching!

http://www.trialscentral.com is a good place to start

Good luck!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Keep getting back into trials then get bored quick and sell everything then get the itch and. Well you know the rest. Three times now but never again. The new four strokes monts are coming down in price nicely though 🙄

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Singlespeedstu,who are you?I used to be well into my Enduros…..not to that standard though.
    One thing that put me off Trials,was the waiting around at sections. Used to enjoy watching the local stuff.Manchester 17 used to run some great Trials in the Peaks,including evening events.

robarnold
    Free Member

The Swede: tell me about it, I bought a new one at the end of last year and only mannaged to get £2200 for my 06 model. Ironically I can't ride the new one half as welll as I could the original. Like the look of the Pro Racing 300 Gassers that have just been unveiled

singlespeedstu

Young Dave riley – Member

Singlespeedstu,who are you

I rode for Yamaha GB in the 125 championship class.

Even got selected for the British ISDE team in France and Germany.

Never won the british championship though due to a certain guy by the name of Edmondson. I'm lead to believe he's still doing quite well for an old guy. 😉

In fact a few of the guys from my era are still up there even though they're now in the oldtimers class.

TheDBF
    Free Member

I rode for Yamaha GB in the 125 championship class.

Even got selected for the British ISDE team in France and Germany.

Never won the british championship though due to a certain guy by the name of Edmondson. I'm lead to believe he's still doing quite well for an old guy.

In fact a few of the guys from my era are still up there even though they're now in the oldtimers class.

Respect 8)

I did one H&H last year and near died, in fact I thought I did die half way round the first lap 😆 then to be lapped by the experts about 100 yards later 😯 It was all to much hassle in the end and fear of breaking me old bones put me off the eunduros altho loads of fun, hense why I fancy the trials and up (Scotland)you don't need a license, £5 club fee, tenner a trial and that's it, cheap as chips.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike trials riding ?’ is closed to new replies.