Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Motorbike gloves.
  • Ambrose

Had my son asked me about a good pair of MTB gloves I could have given some advice. He didn’t. He asked about ‘good motorbike gloves, about £60- 70:00’. He’s young, single and carefree and rides a 125 but is about to move up. And living in Cardiff but working all around Wales he gets exposed to the wet and cold quite a bit.

Any suggestions?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Spade and Held make some fantastic gloves round about that price. I’ve got some Spada Enforcer winter gloves which are the best and warmest I’ve ever had. My wife has the same. Too thick for summer though.

Ambrose

Cheers PP, appreciated.

sharkattack

Does he have heated grips yet?

Ambrose

Not yet, that is a good idea. Could a 125 Honda Grom take them?

bakey

I’m using Richa Arctic – good value and great reviews. Holding up well, not too bulky and I’m currently using them with my heated grips off.

sharkattack

Not sure, I used to believe that bikes with small batteries struggle with heated grips. I don’t have a bike and my knowledge is out of date so it’s worth researching.

I do remember the joy of using them though on that borrowed bike I had. I never knew they existed and was blown away by them. Oxford ones I think.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got some Datatool heated gross (as has Mrs PP) which are very good. No separate (Messy, faff to fit) switch as it’s on the left grip and they simply wire straight to the battery and sense voltage so only come on when the engine is running. Best ones I’ve ever had and good quality.

br
    Free Member

Also hand protectors, like mx ones.

allthegear
    Free Member

I know they are ridiculously out of price range at £150 but the BMW Two in One gloves are amazing. Used mine in awful conditions, including well below zero. All day comfortable, too

Rachel

TheSanityAssassin

[slight hijack]
    Would any of these recommendations be suitable for use on a push iron? More specifically a road bike? Thanks.
    [/as you were]

alanf
    Free Member

I always found Alpinestars to be excellent although I’ve not bought any for a good 7 years as mine just keep going.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Would any of these recommendations be suitable for use on a push iron? More specifically a road bike? Thanks.

Not really. Way to bulky and warm. You’d sweat to death! 🙂

solamanda
    Free Member

Don’t bother with heated grips, they don’t work that well plus they look horrific. Hand protectors plus some winter gloves is his best bet for £70. If he really feels the cold, save up abit more for heated gloves.

Rubber_Buccaneer

PeterPoddy’s suggestion of Spada Enforcer is good and VFM. I’d add a set of muffs if he can forget style for the winter, they make a world of difference.

thepodge
    Free Member

I used to find heated grips and good gloves made some difference but MX roost guards made loads of difference as they knock out most of the wind chill. They dont fit all bikes and can look a bit special but are really worth the 20 quid.

I ended up using large latex gloves over the top of normal motorbike gloves worked well too.

failedengineer

I’ve tried a few over the years ….. I’ve just bought some Gerbing heated ones. Toasty doesn’t begin to describe it!
    However, for ‘conventional’ gloves, the best I’ve had (still have) are Buffalo Thermosport. They are a copy of an old Belstaff design, apparently. Relatively cheap at about £50. My previous ones were Triumph and they were OK, but a bit pricey.

craigxxl
    Free Member

You really need to know what gloves fit him best. If he already has some gloves try and get the same brand as they all fit different. I’m an XXL in Alpinstar whilst Spada an XL and Held the fingers are too long for me.
    Heated gloves are much better than heated grips as they keep all you hand warm and not just the palms.

Northwind

I must be 5 years out of date but I loved my Spadas. My WP Force 2s were super warm but still just felt like gloves- no lobster fingers, no massive bulk or restriction… Not actually waterproof but for motorbikes “waterproof” means “water resistant” generally.

My gerbings were a proper gamechanger in winter. Well made gloves too, quite a lot of heated gloves didn’t inspire any confidence or were just plain daft, like the Klan ones with the visor wipe that stopped your finger bending. Slight faff though, it’s like having those mittens on strings.

Heated grips are alright but a bit of a token effort. Don’t know why anyone could think they look horrendous- they look like grips, with one extra wire which you just cable along the existing cables/hoses.

Ambrose

Thanks guys, I’ve pushed the button on the gloves PP suggested. Heated grips may be an option too, not sure yet. I remember using them on a snowmobile on my one and only ski holiday (The Horror, The Horror…) and they were rather toasty yummy indeed.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike gloves.’ is closed to new replies.