Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Motorbike clothing
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

So I’m going to get along to a taster session then hopefully do my CBT after which I may go for a scooter. However, I may look at getting a 125 bike (then maybe full license and bigger bike) so wanted to start thinking about costs for clothing. Someone recommended a goretex jumpsuit, which sounds horrendous but probably sensible. Any other suggestions or kit you’ve found invaluable? Ta

cr500dom
    Free Member

Hein Gerike stuff is pretty good

Cordura is nicer in most conditions (Except sliding down the road) than leathers.

Buy a good helmet and I swear by the Arai pinlock type double glased visors if you are riding year round as they dont mist up

5thElefant
    Free Member

Depends on the weather. I’ve got one-piece leathers, leather jacket, armoured jeans, textile two-piece, or if it’s nice shorts and t-shirt.

Gotama
    Free Member

For the taster session just wear your normal clothes, you may not like it and you only need the goretex if its raining. Jeans, ‘sturdy’ footwear (cat boots or equiv should do but will get mucky from oil covered gear lever). Could always put any mtb knee pads on under your jeans if you want. Use your mtb gloves as well. Once you decide you like it then get the best textile gear you can afford. I went with leathers and regretted it.

If you do like it and happen to be a shoei shaped head which is the same size as mine then i have a michael rutter replica helmet I’ll happily sell cheap if it is any use as its just sitting in the loft. As per mtb helmets its generally a don’t buy second hand helmet but i can hand on heart say this has never been dropped bashed or anything. Think it was about £300 new from memory. You’d be on my way home so i could meet you once you’re down here if you wanted to have a look at it. No idea on price but 50 quid or something.

In fact if you happen to be around 6 ft 3 and wanted to be well protected for your taster then i have a set of leathers you could borrow for the day!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

As above, spend on the crash helmet. Mine have saved me in the past. Arai are the best IMO. Good gloves too. If you’re wearing an expensive helmet you will put your hands out to save it on lower speed off.
    Buy clothing you will wear! Sounds daft but no point getting a full leather suit or even Goretex Jumpsuit if you cant be bothered to put it on to go round the corner to your mates or to the pub / café.
    I used to wear 2 piece Goretex that looked relatively normal / casual but worked well when I was sliding down the road.
    Oh, and good sturdy boots. Sturdy enough to take the weight of the bike when you are underneath it.

Shorts and Tee shirt are all very well until it starts raining! Feels like knitting needles are being fired at your knees.

Oh, and scooters are for girls wearing skirts so they can step though. Get a bike.

Edric64
    Free Member

shorts and tee shirt for biking? 🙄

amplebrew

Hein Gericke stuff is really great and lasts ages. My current Hein Gericke gortex jacket and trousers are now nearly 5 years old and they’re still immaculate and waterproof.

Daytona boots are also great and last ages. I’ve not long bought a new pair of Daytona boots after the sole split in pair I bought in 1998.

Helmets are such a personal choice, depending on the shape of your head. I’ve worn Arai now for 14 years and wouldn’t wear anything else.

The main thing with motorbike clothing being comfy and the right temperature. If you’re not warm and comfy, you’ll lose your concentration fast.

Spend the most you can on clothing as falling off at only 30mph still hurts and to be honest it’s not the falling off that’s the main problem; it’s what you hit once you’re off!!!

I’ve had to deal with enough motorbike collisions to know not to skimp on kit.

5thElefant – Member
    Depends on the weather. I’ve got one-piece leathers, leather jacket, armoured jeans, textile two-piece, or if it’s nice shorts and t-shirt.

Surely a joke?

fontmoss
    Free Member

shorts and tee shirt for biking?

Yeah I was wondering about that?

Anyway good advice about helmet, gloves and boots. I’ll start looking at prices…

br
    Free Member

As above, spend on the crash helmet. Mine have saved me in the past. Arai are the best IMO. Good gloves too. If you’re wearing an expensive helmet you will put your hands out to save it on lower speed off.
    Buy clothing you will wear! Sounds daft but no point getting a full leather suit or even Goretex Jumpsuit if you cant be bothered to put it on to go round the corner to your mates or to the pub / café.
    I used to wear 2 piece Goretex that looked relatively normal / casual but worked well when I was sliding down the road.
    Oh, and good sturdy boots. Sturdy enough to take the weight of the bike when you are underneath it.

Shorts and Tee shirt are all very well until it starts raining! Feels like knitting needles are being fired at your knees.

Oh, and scooters are for girls wearing skirts so they can step though. Get a bike.

Helmet that fits and a ‘name’. Don’t spend a fortune, better to spend a £100 and replace regularly. When commuting I use to buy a new one every year in the sales.

Gloves, ‘cos they are usually the first things to hit the road in a crash. Get waterproof ones.

I got my son a decent armoured textile jacket in the sales, worth looking for. And decent boots. Trousers, either just waterproof, or armoured if you fancy.

And you can spend anything from £200 for the lot, to infinity… These are my gloves, when I was ‘flush’:

http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/products/Rukka-Argosaurus-Gore%252dTex-Gloves-Black.html

fontmoss
    Free Member

Any particular time of year when sales are on?

Gotama
    Free Member

Edit – no need for smart arse answer. Usually autumn for sales as weather turns.

Gloves – I found summer gloves all round with bar muffs in winter far preferable to thick winter gloves. Your hands don’t get wet either although they rank up there with mudguards in the cool stakes:-) especially on a supermoto.

Also, have you run the prospect of biking past your other half? May be a consideration if she’s terrified of the thought of you being on a bike.

My second helmet was the bmw trail bike style one with the visor. Really high quality feel to it and the visor was actually useful in drizzle or rain when stationary. Think arai make a similar one if your head fits that shape.

amplebrew

Pretty much discount on clothing all year, unless you’re buying the latest gear.

Have a look here for an idea.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Think about the appeal of motorbikes related to weather….

Ahhhhhh 😀

kilo

Any other suggestions or kit you’ve found invaluable?

earplugs – even on a scooter.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Surely a joke?

I can guarantee I’m in much less danger of killing myself on a sunny day 🙂

I always where gloves though. Supermoto are my preference for sunny days but have three sets building up to sub-zero/can’t feel the handlebar monstrosities.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Motorbike clothing’ is closed to new replies.