• This topic has 50 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Motogp tribute to Simoncelli
  • bellerophon
    Free Member

Here’s a link to a short video tribute to Simoncelli on the motogp site….

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Still feels crap, doesn’t it?

superfli
    Free Member

Another from Kill-switch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk9TGfAQNAQ

Simoncelli’s dad photo is very emotional

bellerophon
    Free Member

oldgrump – absolutely, unbelievable in a way.

Just received my Bike magazine today, they have a regular column about riding in various situations, this issue’s was ‘encouraging’ a lane hogger in outside lane to move over or something… anyway the point is they give various ideas but they have a wee box with the title; what would Simoncelli do? and then describe some outlandish manoeuvre… not sure what I’m trying to say, maybe it’s an indication of his impact, I mean they could have chosen any rider..

Crell
    Free Member

It does grump. I could never understand the Princes Di grief but it makes a lot more sense now considering how I’ve been feeling about this. That however is a pretty lame “tribute” from Dorna.

A montage maybe, but tribute no.

No VT edits here, but a much more thoughtful piece from Toby Moody.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Crell, it does look lame now having watched the video linked to by Superfli, that Toby Moody article is perfectly pitched.

cheers for the link Superfli, I’d forgotten the bit where lorenzo’s front wheel rubs on Marco’s arm, fab images….

I could never understand the Princes Di grief but it makes a lot more sense now considering how I’ve been feeling about this

Same here…

singlecrack
    Free Member

Supersic filled a big part of 2 wheeled racing in recent years and will always be remembered by his rivals and fans alike

I’m still in a daze …and I didnt even know him personally

but followed his career . 🙁

bellerophon
    Free Member

Probably shouldn’t link to another tribute video, but this I like Marco Simoncelli …..

I’m still in a daze …and I didnt even know him personally

bloody weird ain’t it??

tails
    Free Member

😡 it’s really shit knowing he won’t be racing in valancia, I hope we have some top elbow to elbow racing as he would have liked it!

cardo

Such a shame…. feel as though we have been robbed of a serious challenger for a world title and a real character to go with it… still talking about it at work.. dark days for motogp.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yeah it feels shit.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Totally gutted here, obviously a huge loss to all his friends and family first, but all that potential never to be fulfilled. 😥

oldgrump08
    Free Member

That Moody piece is great.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

bellerophon – superb film, says it all. What a star.

bellerophon
    Free Member

here’s some words by Kenny Schwantz

Crell
    Free Member

I do think it’s strange how you can become “attached” emotionally to someone you’ve never met. My wife and kids would attest to my borderline religious fervour for MotoGP (and M2 / 250 and 125), but I didn’t expect to feel the “loss”. I didn’t feel like this over Kato or Tomizawa for example.

I put “loss” and “attachment” in quotes as they don’t feel appropriate to me for a situation where you’ve never even met the person, but they feel very real for me in this case. I can’t explain it.

Bellerophon I really like that second vid :). Especially as it has the warts (well some of them) and all, including the comedy spats with Lorenzo and some of his tussles with Dovi this year.

What wrangles me at the moment is that I spent approx 2 hours at Silverstone trying to find some Simoncelli merchandise and failed. At that point my son was about to give up on me so I had to draw the line. The fact is was pouring down, windy and about 7 degrees didn’t help. It’s gnawing away at me though now however, as though that would be something to latch on to and wear at future races to keep the spirit alive so to speak. Very weird I know.

My current desktop from motogp.com, I think it’s perfect.

On that killswitch video the still at 1:28 is beautiful – I’ve never seen that one before. The one at 1:32 was my desktop wallpaper until recently.

rossi46
    Free Member

I do hope that Dorna do some sort of tribute to him at the Valencia race a week on Sunday.
    Cant possibly imagine how Rossi and Colin Edwards feel, i still feel sick and didnt even know the bloke as others on here have expressed.
    It is indeed weird.
    I guess the next best thing to Marco Simoncelli in Moto GP is Marc Marquez in Moto 2.

But you cant replace a bloke like Simoncelli.
    Thanks for the memories #58….

iDave
    Free Member

I was watching it live. I don’t know Simoncelli, but I know people who do what he does for a living at that level, and I also have 2 sons so his Dad being there, Rossi being in the crash etc. I felt pretty sick all through Sunday.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I felt like this before. I love art, it was winter 2002 and I had ordered an art journal on one of my favourite artists Michel Majerus. It arrived and I opened it with excitement, there was a heartfelt cover letter saying he had been sadly killed a few days prior to posting and the journal was already printed. I never met him, but in a way felt like I knew him. I followed his career and I read analysis on his technique. What heights would he have got to? I feel the same about Sic.

bellerophon
    Free Member

What wrangles me at the moment is that I spent approx 2 hours at Silverstone trying to find some Simoncelli merchandise and failed. At that point my son was about to give up on me so I had to draw the line. The fact is was pouring down, windy and about 7 degrees didn’t help. It’s gnawing away at me though now however, as though that would be something to latch on to and wear at future races to keep the spirit alive so to speak. Very weird I know.

Crell mate, I get where you’re coming from, I’d go and search out a high quality tee shirt or maybe a print\picture from a reputable source (not an ebayer trying to cash in) and buy it. Then you’ll have that to keep the spirit alive.

In fact I’m kinda of re-thinking my xmas presents for this year; one thing I’ve always fancied are either those wee motorcycle models or prints, although to be honest both… I’m thinking of starting to collect but not just the present riders, I’m thinking of the other greats that have impacted me, Foggy springs to mind

gixer.john
    Free Member

Marco was getting more popular each week as he tried everything the bike(and his abilities)could do to try and get to the front of a race.
    This made him unpopular with quite a few riders, but i thought it was superb – my kind of racer.

I didn’t watch the race on Sunday but had it recorded – couldn’t bring myself down any more by watching it, so it has been deleted.

RIP big fella – you made me smile and get excited about motorsport.

Muke
    Free Member

Well thats got the tears flowing again.

RIP Marco

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ive always found it interesting how certain deaths seem to carry more weight than others.
    Im not for a moment suggesting that one persons life is worth more than another, but it has struck me just how much Simoncelli’s death has affected me, and others. Had another MotoGP rider been taken (apart from Rossi or perhaps on or two other champions) we would all have felt truly sorry for their family etc, but life would go on, certainly by the time Valencia comes around.
    However, something about Simoncelli has warmed him to so many hearts. It’s not like he had numerous victories or even numerous races behind him. He just had ‘it’. A great personality and a talent that deserved to be fulfilled.
    Instead we are left to wonder, and mourn a huge loss for sport in general. Im not even a big fan of MotoGP but Simoncelli was one of the only reasons that I would keep half an eye on the results.
    I hope his father finds solace soon, and remains proud of his son’s achievements forever.
    God bless you Sic.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’s gonna be hard for the racers at Valencia……

I could never make up my mind whether he was a bit OTT or just learning how not to crash but no others racers death has affectted me this much.

Excellent piece by Moody

RIP Marco

bellerophon
    Free Member

nickname
    Free Member

Keep thinking about it a lot as well, not sure why…he seems to have reached a lot of people…something about him.

I find this tribute particularly moving

wheelz
    Free Member

The death of Marco Simoncelli has hit everyone in the MotoGP paddock extremely hard. The guy was fast on a bike, even a little out of control at times, but he was also one of the most approachable riders in Grand Prix racing.

He had a laid back approach off the bike and always had time for people, even those he didn’t know from Adam. He was criticised heavily by other riders, but didn’t let it get to him, bouncing back with one-liners that had press conferences in stitches. He really was an all-round nice guy.

The dignity his father has shown at such a sad time is inspiring, and it’s obvious from whom Marco inherited his outlook on life.

The Italian media can be pretty intense at times, but Paolo Simoncelli’s response when questioned by them on arrival at the airport in Rome was, as I said, inspiring.

You can read it here…

Super Sic will be sorely missed by everyone in the MotoGP paddock.

Gomez13
    Free Member

great photo bellerophon…
    Same here…still numb. I missed the race Sunday..first this year…missed the news and was in a chirpy mood mid afternoon…then i saw the headline on teletext when i went to check the result…i must have sat on the carpet for a full 30 minutes bewildered and shocked…not Sic!..it couldn’t be…it couldn’t happen.
    i’m still not right even today. I want to wake up and learn it was a bad dream..

like so many people, I’ve never met him…he was a motorcycle racer I watched on TV…so why did/does it feel so awful?
    I’ve followed bike racing since I was a kid and the Sheen/Roberts days…yeah i’m that old..and there has always been a changing of the guard…we all know VR can’t race forever…enjoy it while it lasts…but the question that’s been nagging, “who’s the new man.?”…don’t get me wrong I appreciate what Stoner, Lorenzo et al have achieved…but they don’t bring any soul…they dont make me want to watch…and then we got SIc in the mix ..58…a racer…the fact that he got stuck into the rest..reputations meaning nothing….dummies being spat out….made it soooo much better….I had my next man to watch..
    sorry, I know what i’m trying to say but can’t form it correctly…..I just know a star fell from our sky on sunday and we’re never getting it back..
    Ciao Marco

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Seen this pic doing the rounds, think it’s quite nice.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I know what i’m trying to say but can’t form it correctly…..

Yes you have Gomez mate

slimjim78
    Free Member

+1 well said Gomez.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I may come across as a bit heartless, which I’m not, but I don’t ever understand how you can have this level of emotion for someone you don’t now personally. I feel sorry for his family, and can understand you might miss some of the back-stage amusement, or driving tactics, but to feel so strongly – just seems odd to me.

Like the cloud photo though, nice sentiment.

Steelsreal

i have felt down all week…

never met him…but…

he had something, he had an edge, how was different, he was not intimidated by the aliens, the spat with lorenzo at the press conference summed him up, when he pauses and says “i will be arrested” turns and wryly smiles at the audience…perfect..

I had it on on sunday, but was playing dollies with my daughter, saw the aftermath, saw the helmet and thought oh dear, but when i saw it was Sic suddenly i felt awful…my daughter at 2 1/2 sensed something and asked if i was okay and would the man be okay who fell off his motorbike…..

awful day, awful week, motogp will be a duller place now

RIP #58

bellerophon
    Free Member

If you’ve not seen, MCN have a tribute edition, something to keep.

tails
    Free Member

I was reading a funny article about him and Vale drifting round corners in Italy in there BMW’s, vale always saying only 2 runs never anymore. This sounded fun until I 180’d on the roundabout this morning in my poxy ford ka was only doing 27mph as well! That guy was born to race! When is valencia next weekend?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Marco’s funeral is being broadcast on Italian TV. If anyone wants to watch heres the link. Ciao Marco.

schrickvr6
    Free Member
    bellerophon
    Free Member

When is valencia next weekend?

It’s next weekend as in Sunday 6th November at 13:00 our time.

🙁 indeed schrick

found this:

Marco’s funeral video

massive crowd outside…

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i’ve been numb all week. I’ve never got the whole celebrity grief thing until now. Sic’s passing made my stomach knot when I read it. I missed the race as I was out with friends and I just caught the headlines. Tragic. I think Marco was the only thing that kept the 2011 season interesting. At the start of the season I thought he was a bit of maverick that could only last a few laps. But the last few races, the cameras were on him as he was the one doing the racing. Stoner out in front and Marco mixing it up trying to get a podium. When he eventually got on the podium – his reaction, smiles and warmth you couldn’t help but warm to him . l thought he would be one of the challengers in the coming seasons.
    Thanks for making the season big fella, you’ll be missed and we’ll never know for certain what you would’ve achieved-.

Marco 1987-2011 Thanks & RIP

Muke
    Free Member

A great photo from Jerez on cycletorque

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Motogp tribute to Simoncelli’ is closed to new replies.