Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Moto X Play, LG G4, Moto X Style – anyone got one of these??
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

My existing Moto G is struggling to multi-task, especially in the car (music and satnav, not facebook!), so it’s new phone time!

Quite like my Moto G otherwise, even the camera is pretty good (in the day), but wouldn’t mind something a bit more powerful, with a bigger screen for watching stuff on the train now i’ve ditched the iPad.

Anyone got one of the following?
    Moto X Play
    LG G4
    Moto X Style

Opinions welcome!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I have v2 X. It’s ace, but with a small battery… I believe the v3 X’s are better in that respect. Reccomended.

chrisdw
    Free Member

I was looking at pretty much the same phones. (not the style as it was more expensive)

I went with the LG G4. In terms of specs, its much better than the Play. Faster processor, more RAM, and double ROM. Yes the Play does have a bigger battery but many reviews on it have suggested it isnt that efficient with it so you dont get much more time with it anyway.. I get easily over a day with my G4 and I use it a lot.

For a very similar price the LG was worth it for the nicer specs, and the screen and camera are fantastic. The buttons on the back are odd to start with but it really does work. and Its got the funky ‘double tap to wake’, it now annoys me when using other phones that i have to push the button.

It also charges super quick, and comes with a really nice set of earphones.

Ive got mine in an otterbox defender case which feels bombproof, but if you will be wanting to put it in a case, don’t get the leather one, the extra thickness wont fit in most cases.

I got mine on ebuyer for £270

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback, I think if i didn’t actually already own the moto g i’d just go straight for that one, but swayed by familiarity. Doesn’t sound like there’s too much bloatware on there though? (unlike a Sony I had)

midlifecrashes

Moto X Play here. Happy with it. All the stuff I want in a phone, no gimmicks I would never use. Good camera, huge battery(4 days+ for me), quickcharge, big bright screen, stock android with Marshmallow coming this month.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

V2 on Marshmallow already…. And it’s buggy 🙁

Mugboo

Moto X Play here, had it since Xmas, its replaced a 4S. I like it, the battery hasn’t dipped much below 40% even on a heavy day, my only complaints are that it won’t log on to Strava and won’t send emoji in a text.
    A bit of googling suggests that it’s not just mine either, one or two others registered just before Xmas have the same issues.
    If I’m offered the chance to update to Marshmallow can I opt out till I choose to like I did with Apple?

matt_outandabout

You don’t have to update unless you want to, and then have to click ‘yes’

flyingmonkeycorps

I used to have an old Moto X, the Mrs has a Moto G and I have an LG G3. Android on Motorola and LG is fairly similar, LG is probably a bit further for stock but not so you’d worry. The X and the G3 both have some nice features but nothing really killer. I’d go for whichever you get the best deal on to be honest, they’re all great phones.

Bimbler
    Free Member

LG G5 and Samsung S7 are out in a matter of weeks if that makes any difference.

johnx2
    Free Member

Moto X Play here…my only complaints are that it won’t log on to Strava

Same, as in downloaded and installed the Srava app from the Play store and it crashed after the log in screen.

I emailed Strava (I’m not a premium user)and in about three days they dropboxed me an earlier version of the Strava app which runs fine on my moto x play.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Moto X Play, very good, definitely a nice speed update compared to my ancient old samsung galaxy note 2 which served me well. Paid 240 odd from john lewis so I got the 2 year warranty.

I’ve yet to run out of battery in a day despite heavy use over christmas. Excellent turbo charging. Great camera. Quick enough for the stuff I use it for – GPS, music, browsing. No real noticable lag.

I would have gone for a Nexus 6p but too pricey, and the Nexus had a smaller battery. Eagerly awaiting Marshmallow on the Play for no reason really, I guess Doze would make the phone last even longer.

raify
    Free Member

Johnx2 – Any chance you could still share that Dropbox link? I appear to have exactly the same symptoms with Strava…

only had a few days with the X Play (coming from a gen 1 Moto G) Seems fine. It’s far too big, but none of the smaller phones take a big SD card which I like.

Battery is currently at 34% after taking it off charge 7am 05/01. Looks like it will be ‘just’ two days. Although that’s the first day of heavy use and installing apps.

johnx2
    Free Member

sure – they emailed me this link for the download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t600ofaj7qolz94/CyclingRelease-4.8.0-419.apk?dl=0

I had to install the dropbox app to do this, and uninstalled afterwards.

There’s discussion of this going on right now on the strava support forums:

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/98547268

milko9000
    Free Member

I got my wife the Play as an upgrade from a G. It’s really nice actually – I very much like my 5X but if for some reason I had to replace it I’d very possibly go for the Play to save a few quid.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Milko9000 unusual to see women with bigger phones than men. Not sure I could cope 😛

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Got my wife an X Play as an upgrade from a samsung s3.

Only complaint so far is that there is no notification light when a text or email comes in.

Mugboo

My phone did a Strava update today that allowed me to log in so its fixed that 🙂

It still won’t do emoji in texts though, I can live with that ..

rone

Moto X Force here. Very impressed with the whole phone. Not cheap. Love the way it doesn’t wake with notifications. Camera is great (4K video) etc.

Great battery life and screen – wireless charging, turbo charging.

Shatter proof screen – replaceable top screen, water resistant.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. I was all set for another Moto, but picked up the G4 in the end, mostly because it was on offer for 225 at Vodafone ( plus another 2.75 on ebay to unlock it). Camera seems to be better in low-light that my reasonably expensive Panasonic TZ!

nixie

Got an x play. Happy so far. The long battery life is great. Also much better performance wise than my previous moto g2. No complaints so far (other than issues with voice control however that is my voice tone rather than a device issue)

milko9000
    Free Member

swedishmatt
    Milko9000 unusual to see women with bigger phones than men. Not sure I could cope

har! But surely the opposite, they put ’em in a handbag instead of a pocket, so massive phones work better this way around.

In practice, because I have a bumper case on my 5x (because I have an unruly toddler who likes to grab it) they’re about the same size anyway. I wish I could get a smaller phone with this spec. Z5 micro aside, which I don’t quite like enough.

mattupnorth
    Free Member

I have an LG G4 and 3rd gen Moto G for work. Looking to upgrade the LG to a Moto X Force, as find the LG disappointing in terms of the battery life and a few software issues with the flip case despite going back to LG for firmware updates.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Moto X Play, LG G4, Moto X Style – anyone got one of these??’ is closed to new replies.