Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Moto g4 or g5
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Looking at a change of android phone from my note 3 which needs more storage because I broke the sd card slot.
    Is there much difference between the g4 and g5 and is this still the go to phone for stw? I looked at the lenevo p2 but seems a bit too much over budget

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Dunno about the g4 but was disappointed to discover the g5 has no compass. As it turned out this is not that much of a big deal in real life, but it would have made viewranger navigation a little easier.

matt_outandabout

My household has G2, G3, G4, and New G5 as a present for next week.

G4 = big screen, smooth, one issue that’s been resolved since update of screen not responding occasionally. My son loves it, I think too big.

G5 – not used it yet, other than shop. It feels much nicer. Imho, the extra bits and bobs outweigh a nominally slower processor.

Del

i have a g5, coming from a sony z3. g5 is a bit bigger, but it appeared to be the best for my needs – fairly robust, performs at least as well as the sony, and a decent price.
    the amazon one has dual sim and an extra 1Gb of RAM.

kimbers

I chose the g5 over the 4 because I didn’t want a bigger screen, only had it a week, but seems faster than my g3, also fair bit lighter, I do miss the textured back of the g3 tho!

kayak23

Shame they got rid of the waterproofness of the G3.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

My dad has the G4 and my wife has the Lenovo P2, after comparing the 2 I’d push the boat out and pay the extra for the Lenovo, it’s a brilliant phone and the battery life is unbelievable. At £199 it’s an absolute bargain.

breadcrumb

The couple of times I’ve had to deal with Motorola customer care have been very frustrating.

It’s certainly put me off buying another Motorola. Some of the least helpful customer care I’ve came across.

BigJohn

I’ve had the Moto 5 a couple of weeks. Didn’t spot the lack of compass until last night when I tried to use the Sky Map app to identify a bright planet and it refused to work.
    Other than that I’m pleased with it. Strava and Google maps work fine.

PePPeR

I use moto g3 and g4, but I prefer my LG phones, you can pick up things like the LG G Flex 2 32gb for £170. From the bay of e.

LG G4, are £140 from the same place and have nfc chips and compasses and are higher specced phones but only slightly older.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im waiting for this to launch later this month. My Jiayu S3 has been great, but time to retire it.

https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-e-plus-gen-4

RRP should be c. £140 in UK for the lower E4 model, not sure of E4+

Massive battery. dual sim, and 3GB RAM.

Caher

Still on the G3 as it’s still fine. Might upgrade when the g5 plus comes out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

existing happily on the G4 here, have been for a year or so, should last another few years yet, not showing any signs of slowing up for my needs.

Caher

I see the G5 plus is now out…. tempting, but my phone still works ok.

5plusn8
    Free Member

G4plus here. It has zero bloatware, it came essentially empty of apps.
    Long battery, great screen, no bugs. It is a bit big.
    I agree about the lack of compass, sucks big time. If I could get the same phone with a compass I would be the happiest android user in the world.

raincloud
    Free Member

In classic single track advice of recommend what you have ….

I looked at g4 and g5, in fact was going to buy a g5.

Bit leftfield but I finally bought a Samsung Xcover 4. Very very impressed with it. Normally I like vanilla android phones like the Motorola’s but this new version of touchwiz that Samsung overlays is non intrusive and it all works seamlessly.

Strava, maps, calls, internet all good. Plus you can use it with gloves on and it’s waterproof and drop proof (untested as yet…..). A good phone for a mtb’r.

rone

Had both. G5 was less stable and I preferred the screen of the G4.

stumpy01

Another recommend what you’ve got post here…

I’ve recently bought a Lenovo P2 and love it.
    I’d say I’m a low/moderate user and can get 4 days from the battery. I flick the power saver switch just before going to bed, which probably helps a bit.

Camera is better than I expected, there’s no bloatware on it and build quality is very good…

rone

Agree with above the P2 Lenovo is a fantastic phone, if you can get one!

ElShalimo

Has anyone updated a P2 to Android 7?

StirlingCrispin

I bought a G4 today – £140 from John Lewis.

Still installing stuff but the G5 didn’t seem worth the extra money.

It is big though – hadn’t realised that until unboxing it.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Moto G4 plus, bit big for the jeans pocket but otherwise tickety boo and pretty much replaced my Nexus tablet for general browsing.
    The lack of a compass is only an issue whilst stood still as GPS directs fine once on the move. 4gb ram, 64gb internal and a 128gb card so only 160gb more than I need…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Some scrote has my Samsung s6 so I have a g5 currently.

It’s not as bad as I was expecting but the lack of compass would explain why navigating Lisbon was so bloody difficult didn’t know that until just now.

Lack of nfc is also slightly irritating.

The price difference betwixt a flagship phone from Samsung (it was when I got it) to this is not justified as far as I can see.

stumpy01

ElShalimo – Member
    Has anyone updated a P2 to Android 7?

I haven’t. I don’t think it’s officially available on Three yet.

Plenty of people have done it if you search about.
    I’m not gonna bother until it’s officially released.

For info, regarding the above component comments, the P2 has compass, NFC and fingerprint sensor…

And regarding P2 battery life, I unplugged it Sun evening around 8pm and currently sitting at 71% (Mon night 10pm)….I’ve taken some photos and videos, listened to a few podcasts at work, done a bit of browsing and actually used it as a phone earlier for a total of about 35 mins. I probably won’t need to charge it until Wed evening.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Moto g4 or g5’ is closed to new replies.