Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Moto 3g Marshmallow
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just had the update notification: should I?

kayak23

Me too. Will I die?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve read band things, so possibly.

matt_outandabout

Been running it for a week on my moto 3

All good so far, slightly less battery. Subtle differences in design and function, rather than dramatic.

jimmy

I’ve read band things, so possibly.

Like S-club 7? Oh jesus, we’re all going to die.

mikey74
    Free Member

Erm, thanks for your valuable contribution there.

murf
    Free Member

Any release date for the 2nd gen MotoG? Been waiting patiently!

nickjb
    Free Member

Any release date for the 2nd gen MotoG? Been waiting patiently!

very patiently. It was in 2014. Current one is 3rd gen.

mikey74
    Free Member

He means a release of Marshmallow for the Moto G 2nd Gen.

kayak23

Been running it for a week on my moto 3

All good so far, slightly less battery

Hmm. They say that battery life is supposed to be improved.
    Mind you, my Moto G 3 is pretty good on battery already to be fair.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve read one of the biggest problems with Marshmallow on the Moto G is battery drain.

spawnofyorkshire

I’m going to give a few days before i do it, if only because it’s currently telling me 886 minutes to download the 445mb (Virgin fibre at work so rapid connection normally)

The first new version of any Android update always seems to cause battery drain before the first update fixes it. Had it with marshmallow on my nexus 5 (before i drowned that phone)

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Well, I’ve downloaded it. Only snag I’ve spotted with it so far is that it won’t let you use your SD card without a format. Time for a backup I think!

smogmonster

Missus has the Moto G 3rd Gen…it now runs like a sack of S@@t after the update. I would avoid like the plague for now….

frogstomp

Assuming it’s a pre-formatted SD card, it should only prompt you to reformat it if you want to use it as Adoptable Storage

matt_outandabout

^ that was the only ‘surprise’, but it has re-downloaded all my music already.

kayak23

How are the marshmallows getting on?

jon1973
    Free Member

Looks virtually identical to before, but no issues with it.

spawnofyorkshire

Been fine, actually much better than when i went marshmallow on my nexus 5 (before it died a watery death)

The adoptable storage was a faff to make sure everything was backed up before i reformatted but since then it’s worked great

No issues with battery life or bugs i can see

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d prefer responses from people running it on the Moto G 3rd Gen, if you don’t mind. As you know, given the open source nature of the software, the experience can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another.

kimbers

mines been fine, noticed no real difference tbh (moto g 3rd gen)

jon1973
    Free Member

Moto g 3g – same as above,

mikey74
    Free Member

OK, thanks. Perhaps I’ll bite the bullet tonight.

spawnofyorkshire

I’d prefer responses from people running it on the Moto G 3rd Gen, if you don’t mind. As you know, given the open source nature of the software, the experience can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another.

I have a Moto G 3g – read my posts before getting uppity.

I was providing a comparison to the Nexus 5 I had previously which went through a battery drain period after installation of Marshmallow

mactheknife

Slight niggle, once i formatted the SD card in the phone my mac does not recognise it with Android File Transfer. I will have a play around tonight and see what i can get working. Its only to get all my music off my mac onto my phone.

Apart from that nothing to report. All works as well as it did previously. Moto 3g BTW

jon1973
    Free Member

read my posts before getting uppity.

Was he getting uppity?

mikey74
    Free Member

read my posts before getting uppity.

Uppity? A bit sensitive, aren’t you? I thought I was quite polite, and you have to admit you didn’t make it clear what device you were talking about.

spawnofyorkshire

Was he getting uppity?

Yup, that came across as uppity.

Uppity? A bit sensitive, aren’t you? I thought I was quite polite, and you have to admit you didn’t make it clear what device you were talking about.

Not sensitive at all, just thought it was a bit rich to have a pop at someone providing a real world comparison of experiences between two different devices.
    I’ll also be more explicit when replying to a thread about a specific device to give you the serial number so you can confirm I have the one in question. Would that be OK?*

*Please note this is not a flounce. I repeat not a flounce*

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

Ive got a moto x force and the battery on that was 2 days plus with out charging. Thats with normal use, emails, Youtube etc etc.

I downloaded Marshmallow and it has absolutely killed my battery. Same type of usage and at the end of the day there is about 20% left when there used to be 50-60%

Im absolutely gutted it crap and the thing is you cant go back to the previous operating system.

spawnofyorkshire

@zer0c00l44
    Had that on the nexus 5 but the next update sorted it out. I use an app called Doze on my tablet to extend the battery life. You can select which apps can access wifi or data when the screens locked. Seems to extend the battery life a lot

zer0c00l44
    Free Member

@spawnofyorkshire thanks for the advice, ill give it a whirl. Im still waiting for the next 6.0.1 update to see if it will sort the battery life. I mean a 3760mah battery lasting about a day is pretty poor.

Wibble
    Free Member

Don’t suppose they’ve introduced call/sms blocking in Marshmallow on Moto G?

mikey74
    Free Member

If I have to install an app to get similar battery usage to what I’m getting now then I’m not going to bother.

lambchop
    Free Member

Backup and factory reset has sorted my G 3rd Gen. Battery life is as good as before again now.

mikey74
    Free Member

With Marshmallow?

lambchop
    Free Member

Yep, with Marshmallow

mikey74
    Free Member

Cool, thanks. Perhaps I’ll do the upgrade this weekend.

mikey74
    Free Member

I did the update at the weekend and I can definitely say the battery life is quite a lot worse. Let’s hope they fix it with an update soon.

Caher

I just got a 3rd gen moto g after having a 2nd for a couple of years. The new phone instantly updated to marshmallow. So far not an improvement on the old phone at all, the battery life is not good – other former features such as going into silent mode at night and during meetings seem more difficult to set up.
    Hope there is an update or I might go back to the old phone again.

johnners
    Free Member

other former features such as going into silent mode at night and during meetings seem more difficult to set up

Yeah, they’ve dropped the Moto app that did all that so well. The G3 lacks the blinky led too so notifications now light up the whole screen for a couple of seconds, as does moving the thing. None of that can be doing much for the battery life. I still easily manage a day on mine but I seldom use mobile data which must help.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Moto 3g Marshmallow’ is closed to new replies.